Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• kemingMatters
    Comment on Infographics...struggle
    kemingMatters
    I wouldn't say it's necessarily a creativity problem, it just looks like you are thinking of the group of facts as a whole opposed to their own entities, try solving the smaller problems first and then...
    Today, 01:15 PM
  • kemingMatters
    Reply to Down selling to clients
    kemingMatters
    I'm always looking out for my clients bottom line on projects. Doing so helps them understand that when I say that my success is built on theirs, I mean it. They don't always go for the cheaper options...
    Today, 12:55 PM
  • kemingMatters
    Reply to Happy Halloween!!!!
    kemingMatters
    Hallowe'en - The one day a year where it is always rainy & cold with a little bit snow because why the hell not. Yet we still trod our children through all in the name of candy from strangers. Happy...
    Today, 12:49 PM
  • garricks
    Reply to Happy Halloween!!!!
    garricks
    Happy Hallowe'en!
    Today, 12:25 PM
  • garricks
    Comment on Happy Halloween!!!!
    garricks
    Run away! Run away!!
    Today, 12:24 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Kodachrome

Last roll of Kodachrome to be developed 12/30/2010.

RIP, Kodachrome. My favorite film. The most gorgeous roll of film I ever shot was Kodachrome 25, in Hermann, MO, in the fall. It was 620(?) in my Rolliflex. I need to find that roll and scan it.
    This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
    "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

That's really sad. Some of the best reproductions of images and artwork we get are made using film. Quite honestly, digital still cannot handle the fine detail an 8x10 chrome can pick up in the hands of a skilled photographer.
    Oh wait, that's a nearly extinct breed too.

Comment

Truly sad. Does anyone even know how beautiful film is anymore? A great loss indeed.
      Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

Comment

damn...that sux. There's something about film that digital can never replace. Tho I don't shoot with film at all, I would still love to get a hold of an old film camera and shoot away. It's just the cost of developing that is a pain in the ass.
        Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
        | Karl Marx |

A desperate disease requires a dangerous remedy.
        | Guy Fawkes |

| flickr |

Comment

There was also this about film.
          Because of the cost, more consideration was put into composing the shot and making it count. Sure, people did brackets when doing a composed shot but not to the point of today where they just click away and hope something comes out good.

When a truly epic shot was captured in film it was an accomplishment. Now, at every potential 'event' there are possibly a hundred different cameras and cell phones available to take a shot. There is no magic in that.

Comment

I completely agree with you on that PD. Another reason I haven't gotten into film. I need more experience with my shooting. Once my skill and talent and eye are improved, and I can visualize the shot better, and know the technique behind achieving the right shot, I'd be more willing to switch over to film, as I'd be getting more quality shots for my dollar.
            Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
            | Karl Marx |

A desperate disease requires a dangerous remedy.
            | Guy Fawkes |

| flickr |

Comment

that is sad.
              I'll never forget learning to develop my own black and white film in photography class. We had such fun with it, though maybe it was the chemicals that made us all loopy.
              I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not. ~ Kurt Cobain

Comment

Film is still available. Not the chrome.
                We don't know for how long though. And we tend to use Fuji film more often than Kodak for color work. But Kodak makes the best Black & White film.

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
                  But Kodak makes the best Black & White film.
                  But man did I love Ilford paper.
                  This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
                  "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

For those who'd like to see, here's a link to some of the photographs shot on the last roll of Kodachrome ever produced...
                    http://stevemccurry.wordpress.com/20...-1935-to-2010/

What others think of you is none of your business

Comment

Hey thanks for finding that link Rodney!

Comment

Sad news indeed ... there's no warmth in digi-stuff.

Nice article on the BBC this morning:
                        http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12095771

Comment

Ilford is still around. I don't think it matches in warmth and depth to the Kodak. Not in Black and White anyway, and not on the digital laser/LED exposure machines we use in large format.

Fuji Crystal Archive is the current choice for color prints. There's a mad rush on right now to save all the color photographic archives done on Kodacolor film as they are all dark-fading. If you have color print negs and slides from the 60's you may want to convert them as soon as possible.

Remember Cibachrome? Toxic as all heck but the prints are lasting forever. I still get specs for Ciba from certain institutions wanting backlit graphics done with it cuz they just don't fade. I think there is one place left in the US that handles it, maybe gone now.
                          Last edited by PrintDriver; 01-01-2011, 06:41 PM.

Comment

I learned to pan motorsports photography shooting Kodachrome. No chimping to see how your panning was working, you tried your best and waited until the slides came back. It forced you to pay attention and actually learn.

Not all have abandoned film:
                            http://www.johnthawley.com/journal/2...ble-proje.html
                            My Racing Photography

Comment

That was a great link Rodney.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X