Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• ISitude
    Reply to how got project of graphic designing
    ISitude
    I've found that being able to explain why a client should go with my firm is key. Clearly showing a benefit to their brand is all important. You must be able to articulate their concerns through your...
    Today, 04:37 AM
  • ISitude
    Reply to My Life in Typefaces - Matthew Carter
    ISitude
    All I can say about Ray Gun is ...awesome stuff ...well worth studying for all those interested in learning about typography and it's various shades of gray!

Like you say <b> the most...
    Today, 04:26 AM
  • Kayekaye
    Reply to Honest critique for a wedding design
    Kayekaye
    The typeface is stiff and boring for a wedding, used way too much. The border is very '70's with a nod to art deco, neither of which go well with your Chinese characters. No it's not common knowledge...
    Today, 04:06 AM
  • KitchWitch
    Reply to Big hello from China
    KitchWitch
    Hi Janet and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything...
    Today, 03:08 AM
  • janetm1000
    Big hello from China
    janetm1000
    Hi there,

my name is Janet! I'm from Germany, but live and work in China.
    I used to work in interior design and did quite a lot of 3D modelling for event companies as well in my past....
    Today, 02:59 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When Mother Nature Is Angry

We are on day 3 of pumping out basement. If we turn the pump off the water starts to seep up through the cement almost immediately.

We don't have it nearly as bad as some after what I saw yesterday.

We have two main roads closed so it's making for some long commutes for a lot of people.

Everyone has pumps and hoses going to bail out water:

Brings new meaning to Waterfront homes in Lake Luzerne:

Daily Trivia Game ...GDF Fantasy Football League

Some homes were just out of danger .. while others were slowly drowning:

There are no docks in this area so where these came from .. who knows.

One lonely lamp post in what was someone's front yard:

Debris everywhere:

This is right around the corner from where I grew up. In the 20 years I was there the Hudson got high a few times but never broke the bank. This is one of the roads that is obviously closed .. its one of the two main routes into Lake Luzerne.

Comment

A few years ago I went to a baby shower in this Summer screen house ... it's completely demolished now. There are new owners and they had a bunch of friends and or family pulling things up out of the water while we were there.

Some one lost a picnic table .. it's now crammed under the bridge in Corinth:

The walkway is completely flooded under the bridge and along most of the path this side of the bridge.

The EMS launch for water rescues:

Our little dam has been overtaken and is now ragings falls:

It's even overtaken part of the Hydro Plant:

... and both yesterday and today the Sun is out and it's beautiful ... so I hope this means it's finally crested and will start to recede soon.

Comment

... if you have friended me in ... I have lots more over on FB

Comment

Wow Kittie, those are amazing pictures. It seems the whole country is getting pounded with weather this month. I'm glad tomorrow is May, maybe we'll see some of those May flowers now.
          This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
          "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Holy Cow! What's happening up there?
            We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Comment

Scenes like this in my hometown after Thursday's terrific windstorm:

http://www.globaltoronto.com/story.html?id=4699361

That tree is part of a big cluster of 'centurions' on an elementary school yard in town.

Some people just got power back today. The main highway between Niagara and Toronto (the QEW) was shut down for most of the work day.

My commute though was uneventful. And we kept power at work (dang).

When I got home to my street, everything was fine except my next door neighbour's fully mature pine tree (which he adds lights to with a crane every Christmas) was tilting at a 45 degree angle. Yesterday, it was cut into firewood. (I imagine the firewood market's about to crash around here)

One fatality, and it was from our town. An older gentleman was opening a garage door that came right off...

Judging by what I've seen in the last few days, it looks like the pines took the bulk of the blow-overs -- as the broadleafs are only in bud. Didn't help that the ground is very soft with all the rain.

Worst windstorm in the twelve years we've been here. But... when I think of what that storm system was before it got up here. The calamities down in Alabama and such... it sure puts it into perspective.

Comment

Holy crap. At what stage do they start evacuating? I'd be scared to get that evacuation notice too late! Are people still expected to go to work and stuff with houses under water and main roads closed?
                It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" – Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Lots and lots of water! Personally I think floods are cause by the combined telekinetic power of fish in fish tanks. But hey, what do I know. Anyways, I hope everyone is alright and can get through it with spirits undampened (pardon the pun). One of my parent's parent went through something similar with the flood water cresting half way up their two story home. Has your flood water crested yet?

I call your flood, and raise you one crushed front entrance to my house...

Here's the other trunk segment...

In the top photo you can see where the tree broke off about one third up (at about 20'), the tree forked and grew into two trunks. One trunk segment split off and harpooned straight down and was blown back onto the house. The other trunk segment got hung up in a much thinner Maple, lol!
                  The tree was a Black Cherry tree, very valuable wood. Of the dozen or so spectators who stopped to gab n' gawk, about half asked for a chunk of it. I'm definitely going to make money off this black beauty. And today I got a chance to count the rings of tree growth and it is 78 years old!!

When things are all cleaned up I'm going to smooth out the stump's top and ink it, and take a sheet of paper and make some limited edition prints out of the growth rings and sell those too

Inspired by this guy:
                  http://www.ashesandmilk.com/blog/art...yan-nash-gill/

Comment

We had a tree fall on our house when I was kid ... it hit on my room an the ceiling was bowed in so I could touch it..... let me tell you my little feet got me out of that room quick. It was a huge old oak tree that was well over 100 years old. It reached all the way across the roof to the other side. We had to have most of the roof replaced. It wasn't fun to say the least.... we also had a Fire in the same house 3 years prior and lost the whole top of the house ... so we had to have the same roof replaced twice in less than 5 years. I think something was telling us to move out

@Garricks ... I was sure looking for those May flowers today but didn't see any.... never the less it was a beautiful day.

@Krazy ... I am sure hoping it's calmed down for now

@Buda ... yep ... not much stops people from working around here. You are expected to be to work no matter what ... even in the worst snow storm you are expected to be to work.

@Broacher ... that is terrible about that poor old guy and that tree is scary. That's why wind storms scare me more than any other type storm.

@GD ... yep .. we crested here some time early yesterday morning and it's started to recede.

It's been a hell of a week ... I think everyone up here needs a major vacation lol

Comment

Originally posted by Red Kittie Kat View Post
                      @Garricks ... I was sure looking for those May flowers today but didn't see any.... never the less it was a beautiful day.
                      Here ya go Kittie, fresh from my garden this morning. It was just a bud Saturday evening when I was hanging over the fence, talking to the neighbors, so it's a true May Flower.

Of course, NOW there's a line of thunderstorms moving out of the area, and the radar shows me I've got about an hour to jump into the shower and get Badger Fresh™ before the next line rolls through...I'll be back!

This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
                      "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

That is a gorgeous Iris ... I could do with a huge bucket ... errr... boookayyy of those LoL

Comment

Kitty..Can I help ????
                          http://billsoz.blogspot.com/

Comment

With getting me a bucket of flowers?

We are in good shape Willy ... The river crested last night and it's receding fairly fast ... we actually turned the pump off in the basement .. there is still water in the hole ... but not as much and doesn't seem to be rising .... so fingers crossed.

Thanks Willy xx ♥

Comment

this is show the reality of that place ..

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X