X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I get some feedback on my photos?

So I recently got into photography. I took some photos, and I would love any feedback you might have to offer for my future photos. Thanks so much! http://filterfoundry.com/anniejohnso...nnie-s-photos/

Hi and welcome!

I just took a quick peak, the second image is the most interesting of the bunch. The other images are somewhat lacking. Try playing with the rule of thirds and varying depths of field.

It looks like most of the images are created with the "Here's what I want to take a picture of, centre it in the view finder and click" approach, which is something you should try to avoid in most cases
    Design is not decoration.

Comment

I see an attempt being made to really "capture" a different angle or unique perspetive. but it's falling flat for me. I think Keming makes a good point on rule of thirds, definitely look at that and the overall composition. Not just what is the one "main" element in the photo doing or looking like but what is all around and framing it.
      I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not. ~ Kurt Cobain

Comment

Thanks guys for your input. It's really helpful.

Comment

If you don't know what that is as I didn't when first getting into photography ... this is a great little article

http://www.digital-photography-schoo...rule-of-thirds

Not that every image has to be perfect or go by this method ... but it's a great way to get you started

Daily Trivia Game ...GDF Fantasy Football League

Comment

... Oh and also that doesn't mean you have to get a perfect "thirds" shot .. it can also be achieved in the processing by a simple well placed crop

Daily Trivia Game ...GDF Fantasy Football League

Comment

Good shots for a beginner. A couple of them are a bit crooked, but that can be fixed. There's tons of info for beginners on the web, so search for it, practice, practice, practice, and most of all, have fun.

Comment

Everything above is spot on. Other things I'm noticing, other than your DOF, and centre weighting, you tend to have some unnecessary visual clutter in some of the images. The Rodeo Dr photo, for example, you've got a floating streetlight on the left edge, and the car in the bottom left corner. In fact, almost everything to the left of the post. The buildings in the bottom left are creating a hot spot that's drawing attention to itself. Think about lines entering and exiting the photos, how you crop things, etc. And be aware of your lighting. Very last photo, as a prime example, is completely blown out up top, and the bottom is really under exposed. A shot like that, you'd want to get a graduated ND filter, to help achieve a more even exposure. And if you're going to make a B&W photo, make sure you don't just desaturate the photo in Photoshop and call it done. Use the black and white filter to adjust each colour level. Right now, anything that could be a key point of interest in the shot is just way to dark. All I really notice is the white wall.

Just some points to think about when composing your shots. You're off to a good start, just need the practice to really start pulling things together. Cleaning up the clutter, reframing with the rule of thirds, watching your light, using lines and patterns/shapes, and really adjusting your depth of field will turn a good snap into a great photo. Keep it up and keep showing us your progress. We always enjoy seeing how much people improve!
                Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
                | Karl Marx |

A desperate disease requires a dangerous remedy.
                | Guy Fawkes |

| flickr |

Comment

One technique you might try is varying the height at which you shoot - Kneeling down can provide a whole different take on things and tends to make shots more interesting that shooting at eye level.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                  Working...
                  X