Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• kemingMatters
    Reply to Logo critique
    kemingMatters
    Call me crazy but green is just one of those colours I don't want to see when I'm thinking about a grilled cheese or comfort food. IMHO I think your first iteration attempt was better and just need a...
    Today, 12:45 PM
  • PrintDriver
    Reply to Final Art Disclaimer
    PrintDriver
    The problem today is many clients and designers consider the printer's proof one more opportunity to proof read. The document you are having printed should be FINAL before it is sent to the printer. The...
    Today, 11:30 AM
  • PrintDriver
    Reply to Design Assignment
    PrintDriver
    A lot of people will not download a PDF from an unknown source. Especially with the recent rash of Cryptoware floating around. You'll get more response if you post an image.
    Today, 11:26 AM
  • PrintDriver
    Reply to Trouble Printing Correctly onto Labels, even with my own Template
    PrintDriver
    most printers have a border that cannot be infringed. Unless you have a borderless printer, you need to account for that. Usually the bottom border is wider than the other three too.

What...
    Today, 11:23 AM
  • kinner
    Reply to Advice for logo
    kinner
    Guys, thanks a lot for your feedback and comments! Really appreciated!
    Sorry I really don't get it how to quote everybody in one reply only, it keeps copying just one post instead of many.
    Today, 11:14 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommended film camera for graphic design usage

Are 4x5 large format cameras good for fine art/illustrations/taking parts of parts of graphic project to later assemble?

Also if you know, what kind of cameras would designers prefer before scanners and aside of expensive repro or stat prints?

DSLR because they get the job done fast with little running costs.

As much as I appreciate the quality of medium and large format film, it's not very practical nowadays.

Comment

Before digital (and for a time after, for that matter) designers didn't especially care about the type or brand of cameras, we cared about good clear film. I worked mostly with 35mm film and the occasional 4x5.
      This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
      "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Are you starting a museum?
        Did designers even shoot the imagery they used? There were pro photographers that did that work. For what we do, a fine grain film is what we prefer. Usually 4x5 but 2x3 works. You can keep the 35mm. 100 is ok. 200 isn't too bad. 400, the image couldn't be any larger than 11x17 before grain becomes a real problem.

Comment

We rarely went as large as a full page (8x10") image, so 35mm was fine for us. I think our guys normally shot 100 speed, lower if they were in the studio.
          This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
          "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

I (Photographers I would use) would shoot 8x10's back in the day. I miss the giant trannies
            Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

Comment

You know Pan, the younger crowd is gonna begin to wonder what side of the tracks yer walkin there. LOL.

8x10s were rare by the time I got into this. I did pay for one once, when we had an old patent drawing that was more of a painting with extremely fine line art. Between the set up and the bracketing, it was a VERY expensive afternoon.

Comment

LOL @ "giant trannies."

Comment

It was for an imaging client. They really cared how the art produced and were willing to pay for the best.
                  Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

Comment

what would you guys mainly takes pictures of? was it detailed illustrations , type, final pages etc?? (not talking about final reproduction)

Could you print on normal photocopy paper or standard thick drawing paper?

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                    Working...
                    X