Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• Judy Smith
    Reply to The ad I posted in classifieds was not posted
    Judy Smith
    On the post, I had linked to a thread on this forum, wherein someone advised me to post the term "volunteer" in the subject line of the classifieds section....
    Today, 03:33 AM
  • PanToshi
    Reply to First Time App Project Advice Needed
    PanToshi
    Welcome to GDF dude

We ask all new members to read the very important links here and here. These explain the rules and how the forum runs. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every...
    Today, 02:17 AM
  • BillyLogan
    Reply to Opinions on My Logo?
    BillyLogan
    Absolutely better. Just make sure the tag line's readable if you ever print it....
    Today, 01:47 AM
  • BillyLogan
    Reply to Custom social icons
    BillyLogan
    For me, customizing your own social media icons reflect creativity and imagination. However, it may tend to look less professional because of the artistry of some people. So if you have a corporate website,...
    Today, 01:40 AM
  • garricks
    Reply to The ad I posted in classifieds was not posted
    garricks
    Judy, the description of the sub forum reads:

Jobs and Paying projects.NO SPEC WORK OR CONTESTS! PAID WORK ONLY! IF IT'S NOT PAYING WORK DO NOT POST IT HERE!!! If you don't want the job,...
    Today, 12:49 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommended film camera for graphic design usage

Are 4x5 large format cameras good for fine art/illustrations/taking parts of parts of graphic project to later assemble?

Also if you know, what kind of cameras would designers prefer before scanners and aside of expensive repro or stat prints?

DSLR because they get the job done fast with little running costs.

As much as I appreciate the quality of medium and large format film, it's not very practical nowadays.

Comment

Before digital (and for a time after, for that matter) designers didn't especially care about the type or brand of cameras, we cared about good clear film. I worked mostly with 35mm film and the occasional 4x5.
      This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
      "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Are you starting a museum?
        Did designers even shoot the imagery they used? There were pro photographers that did that work. For what we do, a fine grain film is what we prefer. Usually 4x5 but 2x3 works. You can keep the 35mm. 100 is ok. 200 isn't too bad. 400, the image couldn't be any larger than 11x17 before grain becomes a real problem.

Comment

We rarely went as large as a full page (8x10") image, so 35mm was fine for us. I think our guys normally shot 100 speed, lower if they were in the studio.
          This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
          "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

I (Photographers I would use) would shoot 8x10's back in the day. I miss the giant trannies
            Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

Comment

You know Pan, the younger crowd is gonna begin to wonder what side of the tracks yer walkin there. LOL.

8x10s were rare by the time I got into this. I did pay for one once, when we had an old patent drawing that was more of a painting with extremely fine line art. Between the set up and the bracketing, it was a VERY expensive afternoon.

Comment

LOL @ "giant trannies."

Comment

It was for an imaging client. They really cared how the art produced and were willing to pay for the best.
                  Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

Comment

what would you guys mainly takes pictures of? was it detailed illustrations , type, final pages etc?? (not talking about final reproduction)

Could you print on normal photocopy paper or standard thick drawing paper?

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                    Working...
                    X