• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Photo Editors

courtesy of Menard
    The photography Corner

Freeware Photo Editors

Either for digital camera users or those of us whose have their negatives converted to digital images there are several programs available with which we can edit and organize our images. However, not everybody can afford Photoshop, or justify the expense.

Although there are several lower cost options, and many are excellent (Ulead PhotoImpact, Photoshop Elements), I wanted to concentrate on freeware that is available for download and very useful.

Of course many of us are, I hope, familiar with IrfanView. I mostly use it for its editing functions, as it will take Photoshop plugins offering a great amount of flexibility. It is also quite fast and easy on system resources. IrfanView offers the flexibility to handle most file formats and makes a great default viewer for any computer. With its included editing features and plugin compatibility, it is the most comprehensive editor to be found in such a small package. IrfanView is at the top of the list because that is exactly where it belongs.

IrfanView at SnapFiles

An image viewer I recently downloaded and installed is the FastStone Image Viewer. As I have only just started using it, I cannot offer too much detail, but I was quite impressed with it the first time I ran it as it automatically organized all the images on my system by folder, with previews. It additionally offers several editing functions. FastStone additionally offers other freeware programs including a handy web browser.

FastStone Image Viewer

B/Works is a handy and small utility which allows you to easily convert images to black & white or sepia. This tool is put out by MediaChance which makes several such tools available, although B/Works is my favorite. This is a complete program and not a plugin.

B/Works by MediaChance

Other handy free programs by MediaChance include:

Digital Camera Enhancer: offers automatic noise reduction and color balance.

ColorCastFX: can balance exposure between foreground and background objects.

CleanSkinFX: cleans the skin without affecting hair and eyes.

RGB Lights: three shots, three light positions, three colors, and combine them.

Filter SIM: an easy way to apply color correction filters to your digital images.

HotPixels Eliminator: remove hot pixels from long exposures.

BlackFrame NR: remove hot pixels from long night exposures.

All of the above titles by MediaChance are complete programs and not plugins.

PhotoFiltre is simply a freeware image editor which offers many advanced features and editing options. It has high accolades and has been favorably compared to many of the commercial editors.

PhotoFiltre at SnapFiles

Image Analyzer is another small editor which offers basic and advanced editing options including plugin support for its own specialized plugins. One of its strengths is it deconvolution tool for correcting out-of-focus images. It is available in a smaller zipped package or with an installer.

Image Analyzer

i.Mage is a small program that loads an image into two windows: the full image, fit to the window; a grid showing the individual pixels of the image. This can be a handy tool to be used to clone or whatever your heart may desire to do with it. It does offer some basic editing functions, but its primary purpose is to be able to work on an image or graphic at the pixel level.

i.Mage at SnapFiles

PaintStudio Lite offers a different interface than what most are use to with photo editors. This interface does make the program more user friendly for beginners while offering many features that will appeal to more advanced users. It includes background and foreground operations with an effects browser designed to save screen space. It additionally offers text effects for your images in an easy to use operation.

PaintStudio Lite 1.2 at SnapFiles

Visua is a small image editor (495KB zipped) which offers a clean simple interface with 24-bit color support for basic digital camera editing and web graphics. It offers an effects browser with different effects from auto contrast, bleed, blur, jiggle, mirror, oil paint, page curl, and many others. There are 2 files on the download page. One is Imagoweb which is the same as Visua but includes an installer which, unfotunately does not work properly with Windows 2000/XP, but works fine with Windows 9x. The Visua file is a zip file which needs to be unzipped to the program files directory into a folder named Visua or whatever you prefer and place a shortcut on your desktop. Visua works with all flavors of windows.

ImagoWeb Image Editor

Image Enhance is simply a fun and easy image editing program. It is mostly a collection of filters, and some really neat ones (like one called 'cheap color camera'), with some editing, sizing, and retouching options thrown in, plus the ability to create your own filters. All this in a complete program (not a plugin) that is only a 287KB download. Just unzip the zip file to a folder named imageenhance (or whatever you prefer) in your program files directory and place a shortcut on your desktop.

*As Image Enhance does not have a built-in scroll bar, it is really only useful for web graphics and smaller images that will fit to your screen.

Image Enhance

QV is a small graphics viewer which handles JPG, GIF, BMP, and TIFF image files and can convert between them. Its stongest point is in its retouching tools. It offers a handfull of filters, as well cropping, rotating, resizing, and zoom functions. It is a very basic editor, but is light on resources and available in versions for DOS, Windows 3.x, and Windows 9x and up.

QV Graphics Viewer/Editor

Toys for fun: 2 Pic is a small program that allows you to combine two pictures and perform various effects on them. Distortit is a tiny program that permits you to distort an image by the degree of distortion you choose. These programs are primarily for fun. Distortit does not require installation, just create a folder in your program files folder (name it whatever you want), and unzip the contents into that folder.

2 Pic at SnapFiles

Distortit at SnapFiles

*Out of the graphics editors above, IrfanView and QV are the only ones which will render colors according to the native resolution of your screen. Which means if you have a 256 color screen, you can still edit images, as they will be rendered in 256 colors but can be saved in true color. This is handy for those with an older computer, pen tablets, or an older laptop they got for the kids.

Have fun and let the rest of us know if you run across anything interesting.
    Last edited by PanToshi; 07-10-2013, 12:14 AM.

don't forget Gimp!
    ‘Our great industrial nation is controlled by its system of credit. Our system of credit is privately controlled. We have come to be one of the worst ruled, one of the most completely controlled and dominated governments in the civilized world. No government by free opinion, no longer a government by conviction and the vote of the majority, but a government by the opinion and duress of small groups of men.’ - Woodrow Wilson

Comment

thanks a lot for all these great tools~

Comment

Google Picasa
        P.S. Thread is not very fresh :-)
        Poster maker
        Poster software
        Poster creator

Comment

that's because it's from November 2005
          "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

Oh thanks for the link, I've heard about some of this editor's but never had the choice to use it..Thanks I'll keep this in mind
            www.zombo.com

Comment

thanks for sharing.... Picasa is nice...

Ikyut
              I have nothing to say, The Strokes...

Comment

Thanks for posting! I have Photoshop CS3 and was just wondering if any of those programs can do things that Photoshop can not do or if they are easier to use or something. I have not heard of those and was just wondering how they compare to Photoshop. I have used Gimp Shop and was not able to do much on there, but then again I did not play around with the program that much. I got bored with it and went back to using Photoshop.

Comment

I just found this for one of my wannabe designer coworkers. Very photoshop like. splashup
                  Last edited by urstwile; 11-22-2008, 05:31 PM.

Comment

The one that most people claim to be closest in capabilities to Photoshop is The Gimp. I don't have personal experience with it though...
                    Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
                    mediamainline.com
                    cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

Don't forget that many digital cameras come with their own image editors. I can't remember what they're like at the point-and-shoot level, but Canon's Digital Photo Professional that comes with their SLRs is really good. In some ways, their RAW converter actually works better with Canon RAW files than Adobe's.

Comment

You should see the one that comes with Olympus SLRs. It's very reminiscent of Photoshop.
                        Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
                        mediamainline.com
                        cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

I've heard that gimp is really close to photoshop and it's really good for people who can't afford to buy a ridiculously expensive Photoshop. I'm not saying that it's not worth that money but only a few of us can really afford to buy it.

FastStone image editor isn't bad either though I used the Capture application which wasn't free.

the paint application in windows 7 isn't bad as a basic image editing application either...maybe you can add it to your list

Comment

Try PaintBrush Pro.
                            its really a nice software, easy to use, there options are great and it will feel to edit any Photo with Fun.
                            Try it.

Comment

Pixlr is the best resource for editing images. its totally online platform & its similar like a photoshop. try it once.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• RMo
                                Reply to Please review my -responsive design- website
                                RMo
                                Hey,

some quick things:
                                • your page is just a tiny bit too wide. There is a scrollbar at the bottom. That shouldn't be there
                                • add a favicon
                                • there is a massive amount of space after loading
                                Today, 03:18 PM
                              • Bilberryblue
                                Reply to Photography peeps, I need your help!
                                Bilberryblue
                                Thanks for the reply. The one who told me this already played the game, and he said that a puzzle would appear once changed to b and w. He said a graphic artist or an app could do this.

Today, 10:41 AM
                              • kemingMatters
                                Comment on Photography peeps, I need your help!
                                kemingMatters
                                You might be able to do something with a photocopier, as some colours dropout (yellows) and others turn darker than you'd think
                                Today, 10:06 AM
                              • KitchWitch
                                Reply to Photography peeps, I need your help!
                                KitchWitch
                                Hi Bilberryblue and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't...
                                Today, 09:20 AM
                              • KitchWitch
                                Reply to ROOTS Logo
                                KitchWitch
                                Hi Biabarrackus and welcome to GDF.

This thread is over ten years old, but thanks for the input.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain...
                                Today, 09:18 AM
                              GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright © 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                              Working...
                              X