Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BEST COMPUTER CONFIGURATION FOR GRAPHIC DESIGNERS?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BEST COMPUTER CONFIGURATION FOR GRAPHIC DESIGNERS?

I AM A GRAPHIC DESIGNER...NEW TO THIS PAGE

MAIN SOFTWARES USED BY ME ARE

-COREL DRAW
    -ADOBE PHOTOSHOP
    -ADOBE ILLUSTRATOR
    -ADOBE INDESIGN

I CURRENTLY HAVE A COMPUTER WITH
    INTEL QUAD CORE PROCESSOR
    1GB GRAPHIC CARD
    8GB RAM
    2TB HARDDISK
    THE CPU CABINET HAS ENOUGH VENTILATION SYSTEM.

BUT AFTER HAVING ALL THESE EQUIPMENT I STILL SUFFER LAG AND SLOW CURSOR MOVEMENT IN THE ABOVE MENTIONED SOFTWARES.

I THEREFORE NEED TO BUY A NEW SUPER FAST AND SOPHISTICATED MACHINE TO INCORPORATE SUCH SOFTWARES AND HELP ME RUN THOSE SOFTWARES SMOOTHELY.
    PLZ HELP ME BY MENTIONING A PERFECT CONFIGURATION.PRICE NO BARRIER.

APART.
    ALSO SUGGEST ME BEST AVAILABLE DISPLAYS FOR MY COMPUTER.
    THE SCREEN SHOULDN'T DAMAGE MY EYES .IT SHOULD DISPLAY REAL COLORS.SIZE IS NOT A BARRIER

I LIVE IN MUMBAI,INDIA

ANSWERS ARE HIGHLY APPRECIATED AND THANKED.
    THANK YOU

Welcome to the forum Mastikor. First of all, please take your caps lock key off. It's difficult to read so much text in all caps.
    We ask all new members to read the forum rules posted here and here. They will give you all the info you need on how the forum runs, the rules and regs, and give you some background info on our long running, inside jokes
    This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
    "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

WELL APPARENTLY ALL CAPS PREVENTION ISN'T WORKING!!!!

What intel processor do you have? yes quad core, but what's the processor speed? How many applications are you running at once? How many applications that aren't immediately visible are running in the background? What versions of software? What operating system?

Displays, every display is slowing going to damage your eyes, you're staring into light. You'll never truly get 100% accurate colour but you can get close with a calibrated display, If price isn't an issue I would recommend a LaCie Display.

Design is not decoration.

Comment

I also have a quadcore running adobe cc, and I don't have much problems. This week I'm getting a new Solid State hard drive. When it's installed I'll report if I notice any improvement.

Comment

So I got the new SSD and it's amazing. It fits in the palm of my hand but so much speed compared to my old one. Here's some graphs of before and after (keep in mind it was a buggy 5 year old drive):

Last edited by sketxz!; 10-22-2014, 04:45 PM.

Comment

I agree. A graphic designer must have this configuration for their better work & pc performance ...

Comment

Welcome to the forum vinod. We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay. Spam advertising will NOT be tolerated.
              This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
              "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

SSD will die fast without warning. The SSD can only read and write a couple of times before they keel over.
                The investment will get you some quality speeds but beware the amount of "WRITES" it have leftover. Once that is gone it is good as bricked.

Comment

Once the number of writes is gone on any storage device they brick immediately.
                5.25 floppy disks were surprisingly robust as read only, but not so much on constant re-write. Syquest drives were just plain scary and went toes up randomly. The 3.5 floppies were pretty robust both read and write. Jazz drives notoriously scattered their contents to the wind if filled more than 70% of capacity. Zip drives not so great for storage but great for transferring data back and forth. RAID drives, the most robust of the lot; lose a drive and the whole configuration can be rebuilt from the remaining. Still my preferred storage/rewrite medium. CD and DVD most excellent for storage. The re-write capability very short. Thumb drives and portable drives of every stripe now, some more robust than others. Thumb drives can't be easily filed and can very easily be lost. It used to be a joke 10 years ago that designers would soon be sending their hard drives to us print vendors for their files. That is so much the truth now.
                And cloud storage. How much can you really trust that not to vanish into the ether?
                Everything dies eventually.
                Plan accordingly.

Comment

So logically I need to have a read and write counter displayed on my desktop every time I plan to use my drive. OMGSH it goes over 500TB it is time for a new drive. IDK I work with very big files as well. The biggest concern is with instant bricking as well. Like a random error occurs. So again backing would have to be done periodically. Which is another job entirely.

Comment

Backing up isn't a job.
                    If you are working with large files it definitely pays to have a RAID storage system Easy as that. Just make sure you have a spare drive available. And believe it or not, a spare, identical box. We've actually had boxes go down, not just drives. And a lot of times you can't just jam the old drives into a new box. Now, whenever we upgrade the RAID device, we buy 2. Never ever again want to be searching Ebay for an overnight shipment on an obsolete raid box.

If you are keeping files on your computer, it's no big deal to attach a Terabyte drive to your computer and do a Time Machine backup (or the PC equivalent.) They are all automated.

There are cloud storage avenues too. Bearing in mind you need to have internet access to get to them. If your phone or cable goes down and Starbucks is closed, you are SOL.

You should always be prepared for an instant brick. Nothing makes morning coffee taste bad as when you get that ''Server not Available'' message first thing in the morning. Or the post bong doesn't happen. Or that spinning beachball of death appears. Or even better, the screen just suddenly goes black and comes up with the message, "Your computer has to be restarted due to an error. Press any key to continue." Usually at the worst possible time.
                    Last edited by PrintDriver; 07-02-2016, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DanArt View Post
                      So again backing would have to be done periodically. Which is another job entirely.
                      Backups should be automatic and occur at regular intervals without any extra effort other than periodically checking the backups to make sure they're actually taking place.

All our individual workstations are automatically backed up each hour to local external hard drives. We only bother with redundant RAID systems for our video workstations and servers. We go one step further with the servers, which are backed up to a remote, off-site location once per day in the middle of the night.

Comment

These is my friends set up:

32GB DDR4-2133 nECC (4x8GB) Unbuffered RAM
                        1TB 7200 RPM SATA 8GB 1st Solid-State Hybrid Drive (SSHD)
                        HP USB Business Slim Keyboard
                        NVIDIA Quadro K420 2GB DL-DVI(I)+DP 1st No cables included Graphics - PCIe
                        HP DVI to VGA Adapter
                        9.5mm Slim SuperMulti DVDRW 1st Optical Disc Drive
                        NVIDIA Quadro K420 2GB DL-DVI(I)+DP 2nd No cables included Graphics - PCIe
                        HP Z240 Workstation Country Kit
                        HP Z Turbo Drive G2 256GB PCIe 1st Solid-State Drive (SSD) - PCIe
                        HP USB Optical Mouse
                        HP Z240 Tower Workstation
                        Operating System Load to PCIe
                        Intel® Ethernet I210-T1 PCIe Network Interface Card - PCIe
                        HP 3/3/3 Tower Warranty
                        Intel® Core™ i7-6700 3.4GHz (up to 4.0GHz) 8M 4C TWR CPU
                        HP Single Unit (Tower) Packaging
                        HP Z240 TWR 280W 90 percent efficiency Chassis
                        HP SD Card Reader
                        ENERGY STAR Qualified Configuration
                        Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (available through downgrade
                        Last edited by PanToshi; 04-24-2017, 03:26 PM. Reason: No advertising or promotional sites

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• PanToshi
                          Reply to Software that can do vector patterns?
                          PanToshi
                          Hi Thumper and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
                          Today, 03:46 PM
                        • PanToshi
                          Reply to Looking for comments
                          PanToshi
                          Hi designers kent and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't...
                          Today, 03:46 PM
                        • PanToshi
                          Reply to Flyer Crtitique
                          PanToshi
                          Hi Pobrien and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
                          Today, 03:40 PM
                        • HotButton
                          Reply to Flyer Crtitique
                          HotButton
                          There are a lot of opportunities for refinement there, so it's best to start with a general corrective statement: Everything is too large. More specifically, there is no focal point; no hierarchy; no...
                          Today, 03:36 PM
                        • pobrien
                          Flyer Crtitique
                          pobrien
                          Hi,

I would greatly appreciate feedback on a flyer design for a promotional contest. I am transitioning from a 3D artist to more design work, so I know I have made some mistakes in spacing,...
                          Today, 01:12 PM
                        GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright © 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                        Working...
                        X