Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Do I get better at photo editing or retouching.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Do I get better at photo editing or retouching.

I want to became a professional photo editor. How do i make my production looks more flourished/realistic.

In very short hand, since it's an extremely broad question: Develop a solid understanding of lighting & perspective. Learn to apply that knowledge and practice.
    Design is not decoration.

Comment

Learning how to ''see'' is critical.
      How objects relate, how they are scaled, how they are lit, and the techniques needed to accomplish that.

Now, I'm not exactly sure what a professional photo editor is. It's not a well populated career track. With today's tools, most designers are some sort of photo editor, albeit some a lot better at it than others. What kind of work do you envision a professional photo editor doing?

Comment

didn't really give it thought but you make a good point PD, can't say I've ever met a professional photo editor (as in "Photo Editor" or the like is their title) usually it's handled by the designer or the photog. I have heard some photog's outsource images to be adjusted, but only in a budget over quality scenario.
        Design is not decoration.

Comment

I used to see ads here and there, a long time ago, for people to clear backgrounds on catalog item images (silhouette work.) Not so much any more. Not that I've looked. The local shoe companies used to place that ad a lot. I can't imagine doing that all day, every day. I'd go blind.

Comment

• kemingMatters
            kemingMatters commented
            Editing a comment
            Every now and then I get a couple weeks worth of images to clean up and isolate. It's a nice change of pace but I wouldn't want to do it day in and day out all year round.

• calebninja
            calebninja commented
            Editing a comment
            Amen to that!

What everyone else said, and also keep learning Photoshop techniques and when to use one over the other.

Comment

I've never hired a retoucher, I just do it myself when it arises. But I do know a local photo retoucher who is amazing and she makes a killing at what she does.

The stuff I've done in the past is mostly fixing badly damaged photos, many over 100 years old. A little real estate stuff and also photos for beauty industry.

My advice is to practice. Take some photos and start working on them so that they are to the standard you see in print.
            It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Thanks everyone for giving your idea. I try to learn photo shop & illustrator with some photos. I know its all about hardworking & perseverance. But one day i will be a professional designer.

Comment

I recommend starting with Lightroom if you've never touched Photoshop as it may be a little less daunting.

Comment

Hi Statbd and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
                  Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

I would recommend start your journey with reading good guide or article about photohop. And then try to work with some kind of tutorial (to repeat some steps).
                    Last edited by KitchWitch; 08-28-2017, 01:26 PM. Reason: removed ad link

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                    Working...
                    X