ISO Range (Noob alert)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ISO Range (Noob alert)

I'm in the market for a Digital Camera. I'm doing some research but unfortunately my knowledge is limited in this field.

ISO Range? Is bigger better?

Does size count?
    "Here lies Spug. He never tried an avocado"

The higher the iso the less light you need to make a exposure. However, as the iso increases the graininess of the photo will increase. A larger range would probably be better then a camera with a limited one. You will have more options. Options are always good.

Comment

Ah dang it. Why is it never simple.

Cheers tZ.

Comment

Um, Spug, just to clarify...bigger is always better and Yes, size does matter.
        “The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level we created them.” Albert Einstein

Comment

Just be careful, though - while bigger is better, some cameras will produce unusably noisy pictures at the top of their ISO range.

But that's all just signal processing crap. There's not a lot of variation in the available ISO ranges of most of the cameras, but there is a variation in the size and quality of their sensors. What you're actually interested in is the usable ISO range - and the only way to find that out is from reviews by places that actually tested the thing.

Comment

Rightio. Cheers everyone. More research needed, but now I am armed with what to look for.

And Wannabrie. I think you'll find it's not the size of the boat but the motion of the ocean.

Comment

Originally posted by SpugNothuson
              I think you'll find it's not the size of the boat but the motion of the ocean.
              True. But a bigger boat combined with that motion of the ocean is utterly priceless.

blog/portfolio

Comment

Spug, I was recently in your same situation, and what helped me a lot was to clarify what my objectives were for the camera. I think this will help you fine tune your research a lot. So for example, are there typical scenarios that you're looking to shoot, are you just trying to get more into photography and want to improve, etc.

I've been pretty happy with the one I ended up with (a Fuji Finepix something or other, I'm too lazy to look up the model right now, but will be happy to provide it if you're interested). It's done well in a number of different lighting conditions, and feels like a really good practice camera that's a point and shoot but has some features that are similar to DSLR.

Also, not sure what your budget is. This one came in at about $250.
                "Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do!" - Ricky Ricardo

Comment

I'd also say that it's probably not very important.

It really depends on what sort of photography you want to do. If, for example, you want to do sports shooting, then a high usable ISO rating is absolutely necessary. If, on the other hand, you're going to be photographing flowers, it's no bloody use to you whatsoever.

A high ISO is useful for shooting fast moving stuff, and a bit - but not very - useful when you're shooting in low light conditions. But for most, general-purpose photography, 90% of everything is shot at ISO100 or 200, which any camera will do.

So, unless you've got a particular reason to need that higher ISO, I'd really focus on other features and cost.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright © 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                  Working...
                  X