what is the best digital camera? need your advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sublimity View Post
    I understand where you are coming from, but I think he'd like the best bang for the buck, to which like you said, the money saved can be used to buy a nice prime. So my suggestion is that if he really wanted something that will suffice his needs at the moment, a D40 is surly acceptable, without the consumer gimmicks to get more money (Antidust, MP, live view, etc).
    Yup, I certainly agree with you there. Basically what I was getting at was that the best thing to do would be to cheap out totally on the body, get a D40 body only, or even cheaper if you can find it, to get the better lenses. But even with the cheapest body you're still going to be paying a lot more with a good lens, so if that's not within the budget, that's when I would pay the extra $100 for the D60, even just for the extra 3.5MP. Hope that makes more sense.

You're right that the D40 is a very worthy option over the D60. I just don't think the $100 savings is much unless you can actually put that towards a lens. Mind you, I'm a spendthrift and always spend what I can now. He's probably better at saving, and could hold onto that $100 to upgrade the lens sooner.
    Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
    mediamainline.com
    cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

Haha, I understand.

I suffer from a severe case of lens lust myself.
      That 100 dollars of saving could almost get you a 50mm 1.8 or a sigma prime (not sure if it would autofocus though). What matters really is the photographer anyhow. Buy bodies for features, lenses for image quality. But before making a decision, look at Canons and Sonys.

I better go check the BBQ...burnt chicken and mushrooms weren't very nice last time I got caught up talking

Comment

Oh yeah, good call on the Sigma. Third party lenses are much cheaper, and if you do get a major brand like Nikon or Canon, you're sure to find a Sigma or Tamron that's made for it (ie, will autofocus). Generally the fault of third party lenses is usually quality control rather than overall performance. In other words, if you get a good copy you've got a fine lens, but you could easily end up with a bum one too.
        Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
        mediamainline.com
        cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

I would recommend a Tamron over a Sigma lens. Sigma is notorious for bad quality control and gear stripping on certain bodies due to the horrible plastic innards. The Tamron 90 F2.8 MACRO is a superior piece of glass for the price (500$ new, 200-350 used). In the world of photography equipment, you really do get what you pay for. If you're going for a Sigma, pray, check, and check again that you didn't get a lemon.

Comment

I recently purchased a D60 and have been very impressed with it so far. I haven't had a lot of time to play with it though, so I've only scratched the surface of it's possibilities.

Once you decide on the camera that you want, search for the best price that you can find online and then go to reputable camera shop and see if they'll price match or at least come close.

By price comparing, you can really save a lot or money or get more bang for your buck (put the money saved towards another lens, flash, etc.). In this economy, you should encounter little to no resistance.

Comment

Look into
              Canon EOS Rebel T6 DSLR
              Pentax K-70 DSLR
              Canon EOS Rebel T7i DSLR
              Nikon D3400 DSLR
              Canon EOS Rebel SL2 DSLR
              Nikon D5600 DSLR
              Sony Alpha SLT-A68 DSLR
              sometimes it really depends on your preference.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
              Working...
              X