P&S opinions wanted

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P&S opinions wanted

I'm going to get a new camera for my wife. She complains about they lazy performance of our current camera.

I'm looking at possibly the ultra zoom cameras or 7x and up, but still somewhat compact.

I'd really like to find one that uses AA instead of proprietory.

Here are a few that I've found

Canon SX110 IS
    Canon SX200 IS - not AA
    Panazonic DMC-ZS3 and ZS1 - not AA
    Casio EXILIM EXH10 - I don't think it is out yet but looks pretty good.

Any opinions or suggestions would be helpful.
    (so far I'm leaning towards the SX110 is)

I really liked my old Canon Powershot S2 1S compact before it kicked the bucket on me (before its time). If you go that route, you might want to consider purchasing the extended warranty.

Compacts like that strike me as much more versatile than a regular point and shoot for not much more money.

You might find this thread helpful.

Good luck with the purchase!
    "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

Thanks Moe! I did read through that thread.

Your Powershot S2 1S was a compact? Or was there a separate compact version. (the one I see doesn't look much smaller that an slr.)

Comment

It's probably about 3/4 the size of a DSLR. I believe that they are commonly referred to as "compacts" even though they are a good deal larger than most point and shoots.

You might want to try one out in person at the store to get a look at the size and feel of it before making a decision, unless your wife is looking for something that can be easily tucked into a purse. If that's the case, this isn't your best bet.

I believe that my PowerShot had 12x optical zoom, and took good macro shots as well. I really had no complaint about it at all and would have stuck with it, had it survived.
        "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

I recommend a Fuji.
          http://www.fujifilm.com/products/dig...inepix_s100fs/

I'll be getting this model sometime this year. I've currently have it's predecessor and have shot over 43,000 photos with it. And the previous one to that had over 67,000 photos taken on it. and the previous one to that had 53,000 pictures on it.

It will run about $550

Very high quality photos.

I also have the $200 version of this camera, which still takes good "snapshots" but doesn't get the super high quality that the $550 camera does. BUT the $200 version comes with a super macro that can take a photo 3/4" away from the subject. Much fun!

Jade

Comment

Check out what Steve recommends at Steve's Digi Cams. I don't have the site on hand, but he has more information than you could ever care to know.
            Less be more.

Comment

Originally posted by Drazan View Post
              I recommend a Fuji.
              http://www.fujifilm.com/products/dig...inepix_s100fs/

I also have the $200 version of this camera, which still takes good "snapshots" but doesn't get the super high quality that the $550 camera does. BUT the $200 version comes with a super macro that can take a photo 3/4" away from the subject. Much fun!
              I have the $200 version of the Fuji FinePix too. That Macro is awesome.
              Of course, I still take just as bad photos with this as I took with my Canon Powershot. But I don't think that is the cameras' fault...

Comment

Originally posted by Mynock View Post
                Check out what Steve recommends at Steve's Digi Cams. I don't have the site on hand, but he has more information than you could ever care to know.
                Yes I frequent there often and you are so right about the over abundance of info. I skip right to the end of the reviews to the 75 paragraph conclusion.

Comment

A versatile lens that is good at macros shots always come in handy for neat bugs, pretty flowers, and "does this look infected" type shots.

Comment

You can choose one of these to buy. They are pretty great as I've pick up most of them and played around with them.

http://www.cameralabs.com/buyers_gui...l_camera.shtml

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• PanToshi
                      Reply to Software that can do vector patterns?
                      PanToshi
                      Hi Thumper and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
                      Today, 03:46 PM
                    • PanToshi
                      Reply to Looking for comments
                      PanToshi
                      Hi designers kent and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't...
                      Today, 03:46 PM
                    • PanToshi
                      Reply to Flyer Crtitique
                      PanToshi
                      Hi Pobrien and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
                      Today, 03:40 PM
                    • HotButton
                      Reply to Flyer Crtitique
                      HotButton
                      There are a lot of opportunities for refinement there, so it's best to start with a general corrective statement: Everything is too large. More specifically, there is no focal point; no hierarchy; no...
                      Today, 03:36 PM
                    • pobrien
                      Flyer Crtitique
                      pobrien
                      Hi,

I would greatly appreciate feedback on a flyer design for a promotional contest. I am transitioning from a 3D artist to more design work, so I know I have made some mistakes in spacing,...
                      Today, 01:12 PM
                    GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                    Working...
                    X