PEN TABLET: Who uses one?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PEN TABLET: Who uses one?

My school just received the Wacom Intuos 4 small pen tablets.

I wanted to ask:

How many here actually use a pen tablet for design work?

If so, how often -and- do you find it actually more helpful than a mouse?

I think the pen tablet is super neat, and I'd love to have one day. I think that it would be extremely helpful for PS and AI programs.

Thank you very much.

Intuos 4

http://www.wacom.com/intuos/small.php
    Please support justice for Bella

I find the pen useful for Photoshop work. Not so much for Illy or Indesign stuff as I find it's easier to do points with a mouse as a pen isn't as steady as a bar of soap.

It's a good idea to switch between both pen and mouse during the day to vary your position so that you run less risk of work related injuries.
    It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" – Winnie the Pooh

Comment

I have a Wacom Bamboo Fun Medium.

I bought it back in Fall 2008 to make use of the tablet features only in PS and Ill CS4. I don't use it as much as I wish, but I'm trying. I believe I would use it more if I had one at work where I do majority of my work.

I does feel strange using a pen tablet, but the more you use it the less strange it feels. And yes, it is more helpful than a mouse.
      My SmugMug
      Google+
      Mac Pro • Snow Leopard 10.6 • CS5 Design Premium • Lightroom 4 • Canon EOS Rebel T1i

Comment

I have a graphire that I use almost exclusively.
        “The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level we created them.” Albert Einstein

Comment

Yes, IT DOES feel strange!

I used it for a few minutes today.
          Definitely need some practice to get use to it.

Syphon,
          Yes, you do need one at work.
          You can't get one at work or transport from home -or- too much trouble?
          Please support justice for Bella

Comment

Hi BeautyNut!
            Have you checked out The Art of Wacom thread? It's near the top of the General Design section. There's some neat artwork in there - all done with Wacom tablets/pens.

Comment

Nope not all ... mine are with the Digi Pro tablet

Comment

Haven't heard of Digi Pro (just looked it up). Do you mind having a battery in the pen or is it no big deal? I've got a Wacom Graphire (had it for years), and was thinking about getting an Intuos while my better half is in school (discount!). But he surprised me with a Vistablet - after all, they're all the same, aren't they!!! It's still in the box a year later. One of these days I'll try it out, but it's so darn big, I'll have to clean my desk off to use it.
                And Kitty - nice painting with your Digi Pro.

Comment

My day job has been providing all the graphic designers with Wacom tablets for years, I got addicted and had to buy one for home too. It's weird though, I am naturally left-handed with a pen (and Wacom pen), but right-handed for mousing - so I had to relearn all the keyboard shortcuts with my other hand when I switched to the Wacom. But I find the Wacom to be quicker to use in general than a mouse is (and i no longer have a mouse connected at all, i use the wacom exclusively). Also, the tablet impresses the pants off clients who have no idea about these fangled contraptions!!!

Comment

well i have used one in the past and i am hoping to get one soon! they are useful for any kind of art i think ether in photoshop or illustrator. i guy with every one here once you use it your addicted.

Comment

I use a tablet and it's all I use, all day long. I have a couple of them. At the moment I have one attached to the laptop and one attached to the Mac at the office. My poor PC is the only one stuck with a mouse, but it's so slow it doesn't matter much anyways.
                      Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
                      mediamainline.com
                      cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

Thanks Callendale

... and no I don't mind at all ... I've had it for 5 years and haven't had to replace the battery yet

Comment

^ That's like my vibrator!

Okay... so who's up for some shared doodling?

http://www.twiddla.com/122098

Comment

TMI borahcer i have an intuos 2 and its still kickin. def fun to use once you get used to it

"There's something about turning the pages of a book or magazine and the felling of rubbing your hands across the words."

This is my pen tool. There are many like it, but this one is MINE. My pen tool is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My pen tool without me is useless. Without my pen tool, I am useless.

there is no grey area when it comes to 1 color logos.

Comment

A tip I got from someone when I bought my first tablet a few years ago was to put the mouse away. Seriously - unplug it and put it in a drawer and promise yourself you won't bring it back out for at least a week. You'll fight and struggle and be slow for a few days but after that week - you'll feel just as comfortable and confident with the tablet as you do the mouse - and then once you're comfy again - you can bring your mouse out and introduce the two to eachother. Bliss usually ensues.
                              - Jen

"You cannot soar with eagles if you surround yourself with turkeys"

My blog

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright © 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                              Working...
                              X