That is great advice - tough- but good!
    Makes plenty of sense.

I'd love to buy me one in the future.
    Please support justice for Bella

Comment

Originally posted by BeautyNut View Post
      Yes, IT DOES feel strange!

I used it for a few minutes today.
      Definitely need some practice to get use to it.

Syphon,
      Yes, you do need one at work.
      You can't get one at work or transport from home -or- too much trouble?
      BeautyNut--
      The printshop has a budget which doesn't include tablets for prepress. And knowing me, if I take my tablet to work I mostly will forget about it and leave it there when I need it at home.

And sorry for the late response, I have been working hard so I can take next week off.
      My SmugMug
      Google+
      Mac Pro • Snow Leopard 10.6 • CS5 Design Premium • Lightroom 4 • Canon EOS Rebel T1i

Comment

Syphon,
        I do understand.

Budgets can definitely limit certain items, and I would forget it too when I needed it at home, and then probably never remember it for the next 5 years.
        Ok, maybe not that long, but I do understand.

No problem about the late response.
        I hope you have an awesome - RELAXING- week off next week!

Comment

Originally posted by Syphon View Post
          BeautyNut--
          The printshop has a budget which doesn't include tablets for prepress. And knowing me, if I take my tablet to work I mostly will forget about it and leave it there when I need it at home.
          That's why I get extras so I can leave one at my contracts and not have to transport it back and forth every day.
          Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
          mediamainline.com
          cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

I use a tablet all the time. I'm left handed, but use the mouse with my right hand, so I use the mouse and the tablet at the same time. The pen has 3 buttons on it that I set to common hotkeys so it doesn't interfere with my work flow. Once you get used to it, its hard to imagine being at a computer without one. I've been drawing every since I could remember, and was "interning" to become a tattoo artist for awhile, so it didn't take much time to adapt to it.
            "I used to wonder what friendship could be, Until you all shared its magic with me." - Jesus Christ

Comment

I use a tablet all the time. I'm left handed, but use the mouse with my right hand, so I use the mouse and the tablet at the same time. The pen has 3 buttons on it that I set to common hotkeys so it doesn't interfere with my work flow. Once you get used to it, its hard to imagine being at a computer without one. I've been drawing every since I could remember, and was "interning" to become a tattoo artist for awhile, so it didn't take much time to adapt to it.
              That's awesome.
              I definitely admire tattoo artist, because I can hardly draw a stick man.
              Ok, I may have a little more talent than a stick man, but not much. LOL

Thanks!

Comment

There's something I like to say to all the bosses who throw 'budget' out as the reason why they can buy their work staff tablets. Think of this: how much would it cost you in lost production, or costs of hiring emergency staff or outsourcing the stuff, or lost goodwill for your customers if your highly skilled operators have to take a couple of weeks (or potentially much longer) off because of a round with CTS or a related condition? For a few hundred bucks per worker, you're protected.

And as computer hardware goes, I've found that tablets (particularly Wacom, I admit) are still one of the greatest deals out there. Basic maintenance and they're good to go longer than most of the OS's that they run in.

Comment

I have two tablets, one at work (Intuos 3) and one at home (Graphire 2) that I've had for about 6 years. Can't work without them.

Comment

Reviving another dead thread to add my $0.02.

I started off with a Graphire back in 2001, then moved up to an an Intuos 2 circa 2003. I loved it for retouching things in Photoshop, but never used it for much else. Okay, that's not really accurate—I did use the mouse a lot, but not the pen. Why? Because I hated having to put down the pen, type, pick it back up, put it down again, type...

Sadly, it got fried by static electricity a couple of years ago (naturally right after I spent close to $50 to replace the mouse), so I replaced it with a Bamboo. I seriously considered getting another Intuos, but just couldn't justify the expense considering how I basically used the last one as a really expensive mouse pad.

Digi
                    The world is divided into people who think they are right.
                    —Anonymous

Comment

Reviving another dead thread to add my $0.02.
                      Please do.
                      Thank you.

Comment

I use a Wacom Graphire 3 when I'm drawing or doing some photo retouching or manipulation. Can't stand using it when I'm working in Illustrator though, gotta be using a mouse for that.
                        k e r n .

Comment

I use a tablet when I am retouching, mouse for layout and Illy. When I am retouching I wonder how I ever got along without my tablet.

My work is cheap, so I had to provide my own. I happened upon a cheap tablet ($25 about 5 years ago) at a swap meet, off brand and got that. I thought it would probably perform horrible, but I haven't had any issues yet. I'm sure there are quality differences between it and Wacom, but my work probably doesn't need that fine a differentiation. And no, the battery doesn't need changing a lot. I leave it in the car and take it inside only when I'm doing retouching as I don't want anyone to think it's company equipment.

If you don't want to lay out the $ for Wacom and don't think you'll use it heavily, you can try getting an off brand from eBay. I got one that way, $60 for a medium-sized tablet.

Comment

Just my opinion .. but if you just want to have one to get used to using it and don't have the money for a wacom ... do what I did .. I have a digi pro .. it cost 30 bucks. There are much cheaper varieties other than Wacom.

I'm not knocking Wacom at all I would love to have one .. I just can't afford one yet .. so in the mean time I still wanted to get my feet wet

You can see what I can do with it in the Art of the Wacom thread

(even though I don't have one)

Comment

Red Kittie Kat,
                              Thank you.
                              I'm with you - not really able to afford the Wacom, but would like to have one.

I will check into some cheaper ones for now.

Comment

I have used the wacom tablets for many years, very usefull, infact i never use a mouse anymore even browsing the net etc. All artwork i create for web and print is produced using a wacom tablet.

This was done using a wacom tablet and using adobe illustrator, currently used on my website homepage.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Glitchin
                                  Reply to What kind and which book would it be wise to spend on?
                                  Glitchin
                                  Work for money design for love by David Airey and Know Your Onions: Graphic Design by Drew De Soto are good books for freelancers if your just starting out in the industry.

Also Pretty Much...
                                  Today, 03:55 PM
                                • Glitchin
                                  Comment on Logo Feedback
                                  Glitchin
                                  I'm confused. This is one of your designs from your original post right? I meant if you could post an image of the logo the client liked, it might help. "They provided me a Logo they want it...
                                  Today, 03:24 PM
                                • Glitchin
                                  Reply to Critique Please?
                                  Glitchin
                                  This is the latest version. I have thickened the CF and lowered the weight of the sound....
                                  Today, 02:58 PM
                                • Glitchin
                                  Comment on Critique Please?
                                  Glitchin
                                  Hey thanks for the feedback.

I have tried what you're suggesting with shapes rather than lines, but it didn't work for me.

That's the challenge, making it looking like CF whilst...
                                  Today, 02:54 PM
                                • PrintDriver
                                  Reply to Portfolio usage of work
                                  PrintDriver
                                  Nice article B, and illustrates my point about being an LLC or a sole proprietor. The LLC is a business entity separate from your personal life. With sole proprietorship, all of your belongings and assets...
                                  Today, 12:42 PM
                                GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright © 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                                Working...
                                X