Metal photo (fishing for some help)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metal photo (fishing for some help)

Has anyone ever had to produce metal photo projects? So there is not confusion this is the chemical photo developing process that is preformed old school with a negative and go through that oh so wonderful film developing process but using thin gage photo metal instead of paper. If you answered yes to that question does anybody know if there is new technology out there to either replace or cut down the steps to the old way of this process?

Hi Tangobear. I had to remove your duplicate thread, but don't worry; most of our members check in using the "new posts" link in the green menu bar at the top of the page and as a result see a list of new threads posted in every forum, rather than going through the forums one by one.

Unfortunately, I can't answer your question. It's rather slow here on weekends, so don't be disappointed if you don't get a response right away. Be sure to check back and even bump this thread on Monday if you haven't received an answer by then.
    "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

this page suggests that either silkscreen, or some sort of transfer might be suitable 'modern' options.

I'm also racking my memory - I recall seeing on TV fairly recently a programme about the history of photography, and someone was still using the (very old) technique of developing onto metal instead of paper. bear with me, I'll try and find it
      Want to know what a true friend is? One who walks in when the world walks out.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorfoz View Post
        this page suggests that either silkscreen, or some sort of transfer might be suitable 'modern' options.

I'm also racking my memory - I recall seeing on TV fairly recently a programme about the history of photography, and someone was still using the (very old) technique of developing onto metal instead of paper. bear with me, I'll try and find it

I will check the link out I have recently shifted career paths from print production to a postion that I still can't accuratly describle but I know that call it silk screen. we use matal photo for bar codes on .05 and .2 metal for identification on a production line and it seems that some of our guys failed that part of pre school where you peel the back of you gold star and stick in on the board. Anyway the reason I was asking is they use CTP in the printing world now instead of devoloping plates.

Comment

We use a chemical applied to metal and our laser engraver. Which the engraver doesn't engrave the steel, but bonds the chemical to the metal in a gray scale image.

Another process we use is a hard anodized aluminum that we can then laser the image to. Though I do find the steel has better results.

Our process is to take a photo, digital or scanned, turn it to an inverted greyscale and send it to the laser. Only takes a few minutes to set up for great results. Works well on granite too.

Comment

There are different kind of metal photo processes.

Anodized dyeing is usually the most durable compared to silkscreen or dye sub. As for lazering, I don't particularly like anything that cuts through the anodized color layer. They are fine for labels and indoor things for the most part, but the cut sections will eventually oxidize a bit.

Check out AluImage International, among others.
            Last edited by PrintDriver; 07-26-2009, 01:23 PM.

Comment

man, you talk about a blast from the past...

We used to do Metalphoto about 30 years ago. It actually was a piece of photosensitive metal that was exposed in a vacuum frame with a negative and then "developed" in a bath of MEK (methyl ethyl keytone). Nasty stuff.
              Had a gov'ment contract to do these labels that were to be used on offshore drill rigs and they had to last.

Did a quick google and found this:
              http://horizonsisg.com/products/metalphoto.asp

Comment

Past?

If you look around when you board a plane or a bus or anything using QMR standards you will find metal photo all over the place. What I would love to find is a metal photo generation method that is similar to CTP, i.e. let's get away from film output and use laser technology for exposure (laser tech does not "cut" into the substrate; it exposes the desired ares of imprint at which time dye solutions and development can be introduced via handwork).

Anyone have any suggestions? maybe this is already achieved, if so please enlighten me.

Comment

Originally posted by Drazan View Post
                  We use a chemical applied to metal and our laser engraver. Which the engraver doesn't engrave the steel, but bonds the chemical to the metal in a gray scale image.

Another process we use is a hard anodized aluminum that we can then laser the image to. Though I do find the steel has better results.

Our process is to take a photo, digital or scanned, turn it to an inverted greyscale and send it to the laser. Only takes a few minutes to set up for great results. Works well on granite too.

I would really like more info...when and how did you set this up? What equipment do you use? Who are your vendors? Is this an upcoming technology (to create metal photo via laser [I am thinking similar to a CTP workflow])? How did you calibrate...ect...ect? Sounds to me like you know what this is all about and I really need to get away from film output.

Comment

You can get CO2 lasers for marking metal using the chemical process reasonably cheap these days. I've had a lot of experience with Trotec lasers and would recommend them any day. Also, check out Trotec Nd:YAG lasers which can mark steel without the need for any chemicals.

ps. try evright.com if you are in Australia, they are distributors of Trotec lasers

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• RMo
                      Reply to Please review my -responsive design- website
                      RMo
                      Hey,

some quick things:
                      • your page is just a tiny bit too wide. There is a scrollbar at the bottom. That shouldn't be there
                      • add a favicon
                      • there is a massive amount of space after loading
                      Today, 03:18 PM
                    • Bilberryblue
                      Reply to Photography peeps, I need your help!
                      Bilberryblue
                      Thanks for the reply. The one who told me this already played the game, and he said that a puzzle would appear once changed to b and w. He said a graphic artist or an app could do this.

Today, 10:41 AM
                    • kemingMatters
                      Comment on Photography peeps, I need your help!
                      kemingMatters
                      You might be able to do something with a photocopier, as some colours dropout (yellows) and others turn darker than you'd think
                      Today, 10:06 AM
                    • KitchWitch
                      Reply to Photography peeps, I need your help!
                      KitchWitch
                      Hi Bilberryblue and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't...
                      Today, 09:20 AM
                    • KitchWitch
                      Reply to ROOTS Logo
                      KitchWitch
                      Hi Biabarrackus and welcome to GDF.

This thread is over ten years old, but thanks for the input.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain...
                      Today, 09:18 AM
                    GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                    Working...
                    X