New Camera Authorized! - Need Input

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Camera Authorized! - Need Input

One of my downfalls in being the unofficial building photographer is keeping the battery charged. Last week was one of those critical times. My boss pulled me to photograph an impromptu birthday celebration. I took one pic and "please charge battery"....guest of honor is arriving in 5 minutes! My boss called down to have a co-worker grab the battery from under my desk. (Battery is in the camera, stupid [me].) So one of the other bosses borrows another camera. Theirs is nicer. I took one shot, leaned over and told my boss I want a new camera.

That afternoon, my boss calls and tells me to look for another battery. Or, better yet, look for a new camera. I currently have a Canon DSLR. (I don't remember the exact model, but I can look tomorrow.) Despite popular belief at work, I don't know all that much about cameras. Except that I love to use them. And the more expensive camera, the more professional I feel.

Okay, so that's my long backstory. Here's the question: Any suggestions on what to look for? I know high mp and zoom. I've always used a Canon and that's what my partners have, but I don't think we're hooked on it. Of all the features, one thing that really bothers me is slow flash cycle. Most of the stuff I photographs are events, so I do a lot of candid shots and posed group shots.

Oh, and buget is probably $700-1200. I don't remember how much we paid for my current one. I love spending company dollars

Suggestions welcome! Thanks!
    "It's not that I don't want to trust people. It's that they give me reasons not to." ~ Me

Try Ebay That's where I got mine.
    I bought a new Nikon D5000 plus a ton of accessories and a 2-year (I think) warranty for under $500.

I'm sure you can find an excellent deal there.... but of course definitely make sure it's legit and read the whole description.

Hope that helps. Good luck
    Romans 14:11

Comment

We're looking at a new camera too. i've emailed the guy doing the research for his findings. If you don't hear from me by lunch tomorrow, hit me with a PM to remind me.
      This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
      "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

I've got the Nikon D3000 which I love. It's my very first DSLR and it's very easy to use.

Greeneye's buy is a real bargain. The D5000 is a better model that the D3000 and I paid about $800US for mine and it only came with a 18mm-55mm lens.

What's wrong with your Canon? I was under the impression that Canon DSLR is just as good as Nikon DLSR. Can you upgrade the flash? Maybe get a better lens?

I don't know too much about cameras neither.

*blush*
        It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" – Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Canons are just as good as Nikon. I use a Nikon because when I first started out way back, my photography teacher had a Nikon and I wanted to be like him
          I stay with a Nikon because of all of my equipment for it.

Don't worry too much about how many MP the camera has. I've seen pictures taken with a 3MP camera that look amazing and ones with a 9+MP that look terrible. More megapixles = bigger image

It's really all about getting a clear shot and having enough light via aperture, shutter speed, light source, ISO setting....

I do agree that upgrading the flash is definitely a must
          Romans 14:11

Comment

I don't know what you have, but you'd be better off spending money on an external flash (430EX or similar with rechargeable NiMH batteries) if the flash recycle is what bothers you most. Also, if you only have the kit lens (I'm going to assume you have a Canon Rebel something or other with a 18-55 lens) a new lens will help more with image quality than a new camera body. The Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 is a good not too expensive replacement if you like that zoom range.

Maybe take a basic DSLR course as well. Getting a more expensive camera that you still don't really know how to use isn't going to improve anything.

My 2 cents.
            Keep firing @$$holes!

Comment

Yup, external flash or a "hot shoe" flash is going to be your best bet. You can find some basic ones for pretty cheap. Also, the bigger the cmos sensor on the camera the better quality. Camera's that come to mind, Canon 40D, 50D, Rebel. Those all have a very fast shot mode so you can shoot repetitive shots. Hook up an external flash with new batteries and you should be able to take a shot every 10 seconds or so (maybe faster depending on your flash) hope that helps.
              ‘Our great industrial nation is controlled by its system of credit. Our system of credit is privately controlled. We have come to be one of the worst ruled, one of the most completely controlled and dominated governments in the civilized world. No government by free opinion, no longer a government by conviction and the vote of the majority, but a government by the opinion and duress of small groups of men.’ - Woodrow Wilson

Comment

We're leaning toward the Nikon D7000.
                This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
                "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Originally posted by budafist View Post
                  What's wrong with your Canon? I was under the impression that Canon DSLR is just as good as Nikon DLSR. Can you upgrade the flash? Maybe get a better lens?
                  Technically, there's nothing wrong with the current camera. It's a Rebel Xti, by the way. I just get frustrated with the flash cycle. Good thoughts on the flash and lens, all. I would like to have an external flash anyway, and yes, we only have the standard lens and a micro (ordered by accident and never used).

I do wish I could learn to use it better, but I don't even have time to keep up on basic design skills, let alone camera techniques I'd rarely use. Hmm, might have to keep that in mind next time I feel the need to get out of the office though.

Thanks for the great ideas and input so far everyone!
                  "It's not that I don't want to trust people. It's that they give me reasons not to." ~ Me

Comment

Look into
                    1. Nikon D3400
                    2. Canon EOS Rebel T7i / EOS 800D
                    3. Nikon D5600
                    4. Nikon D3300
                    5. Canon EOS Rebel T6i / EOS 750D
                    Each of those variants has its advantages and disadvantages but you know there is no perfection.

Comment

Hi Melissa Kanon and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
                      Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• PanToshi
                        Reply to Software that can do vector patterns?
                        PanToshi
                        Hi Thumper and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
                        Today, 03:46 PM
                      • PanToshi
                        Reply to Looking for comments
                        PanToshi
                        Hi designers kent and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't...
                        Today, 03:46 PM
                      • PanToshi
                        Reply to Flyer Crtitique
                        PanToshi
                        Hi Pobrien and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
                        Today, 03:40 PM
                      • HotButton
                        Reply to Flyer Crtitique
                        HotButton
                        There are a lot of opportunities for refinement there, so it's best to start with a general corrective statement: Everything is too large. More specifically, there is no focal point; no hierarchy; no...
                        Today, 03:36 PM
                      • pobrien
                        Flyer Crtitique
                        pobrien
                        Hi,

I would greatly appreciate feedback on a flyer design for a promotional contest. I am transitioning from a 3D artist to more design work, so I know I have made some mistakes in spacing,...
                        Today, 01:12 PM
                      GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright © 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                      Working...
                      X