Pro Print Knowledge!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pro Print Knowledge!

On my weekly dose of "This week in InDesign Articles" from indesignsecrets.com there is a great link to Sappi Fine Printer that shares some wonderful printing stuff!

Enjoy.
    Last edited by hank_scorpio; 11-08-2010, 05:48 AM.

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

The Standard:Prepress is interesting. It hits on a lot of good solid starting points but neglects a few major ones in the things it does bring up.

For instance, when working Hi-rez/Lo-rez please DO NOT manipulate the actual Lo-rez image in any fashion. You can <usually> do what you want with the placed image and it will transfer, but no opening in Photoshop. I know it should go without saying but... you'd be surprised. I'm not exactly sure why anyone would need to work Hi/Lo any more anyway. InD and Quark use placeholder technology. Even in large format you can get some pretty image heavy multi-page files going without having to resort to Hi/Lo. It's a holdover from when earlier machines couldn't handle the processing load. Not so much an issue now. I'd recommend using Hi rez only, unless it is really causing you serious problems.

And this is very good advice:
    Preparing Art Files
    Don’t let what you see on your monitor or on a laser printout lull you into thinking that your files are print ready. They may not be. Visually correct and mechanically correct are not one and the same. Most printers and service bureaus can relate countless stories about beginning to output a document and getting bogged down in conflicts and corrupt files. Sometimes their only option is to rebuild from scratch. Designers have greater control – and responsibility – over prepress than they may realize. But it requires designing with awareness of the needs and capabilities of the print production process each step of the way.
    You should make that one pdf a sticky. It crosses most printing output rules and if designers retain even half of it, that would make printing so much easier all around. Nice checklists at the end too.

Thanks Eugene.
    Last edited by PrintDriver; 11-08-2010, 07:30 AM.

Comment

Yeh I'm still going through things on this - gonna print a lot of stuff out and hand it around to people.

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Comment

LOL Eugene. And really - my last check of a print job is the PDF on screen. I have found that if something is off there - it needs to be fixed.My pre-press people told me so
        Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.

Comment

And well - he is no longer working there - but told me how to mask, do rich black etc. I love companies that have pre-press folks that will actually help - as opposed to shoulder shrug and say "oh well".
          Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• RMo
            Reply to Please review my -responsive design- website
            RMo
            Hey,

some quick things:
            • your page is just a tiny bit too wide. There is a scrollbar at the bottom. That shouldn't be there
            • add a favicon
            • there is a massive amount of space after loading
            Today, 03:18 PM
          • Bilberryblue
            Reply to Photography peeps, I need your help!
            Bilberryblue
            Thanks for the reply. The one who told me this already played the game, and he said that a puzzle would appear once changed to b and w. He said a graphic artist or an app could do this.

Today, 10:41 AM
          • kemingMatters
            Comment on Photography peeps, I need your help!
            kemingMatters
            You might be able to do something with a photocopier, as some colours dropout (yellows) and others turn darker than you'd think
            Today, 10:06 AM
          • KitchWitch
            Reply to Photography peeps, I need your help!
            KitchWitch
            Hi Bilberryblue and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't...
            Today, 09:20 AM
          • KitchWitch
            Reply to ROOTS Logo
            KitchWitch
            Hi Biabarrackus and welcome to GDF.

This thread is over ten years old, but thanks for the input.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain...
            Today, 09:18 AM
          GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
          Working...
          X