3D for mockups

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3D for mockups

Was looking for a decent 3D program to do some simple work with... Cans, boxes, etc.... Basic packaging.

I saw the sticky thread for which programming to use but, being about 9yrs old, I figured I ask.

Was looking at stuff like Maya, 3DS, Daz... Not sure whats more commonly used by designers, just don't want to learn A and find out most people use B. Also, what's easier to get free models for.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Again, simple is better.

Depends on what you are doing with the 'mockups' and how much of a learning curve you want.
    Most of our guys use AutoCAD for 3D views of things. Others mix that with SolidWorks. But we use 3D views in order to see how constructed details go together, not for pretty pictures. Neither are really "Graphic Design" programs.
    If you are just going for the presentation work without any of the guts that make it work, any of the 3D programs in that thread are still probably valid. They haven't changed much over the last decade. Blender has moved up quite a bit as an entry level pretty-picture-only type 3D program.

Comment

Ya, mostly just an image of the item as it would look on the shelf type deal... looking to update the portfolio, take some of my work and do more of a photoreal mock-up with it, probably leave the background white with shadows and such.

Would be great to show some of the work and have it look like a photo, but would also be great to add a 3D program to my resume, just wasn't sure what most companies use. Though I suspect it's all over the board... whenever I look at job postings, the software program seems to change, but AutoCad, 3DS seem to be mentioned often... Maya I heard was simpler for the basic stuff.

Comment

We use ArtiosCAD. It's pretty much the industry standard for packaging. We use to create 3D PDF files that you can rotate to see all the different sides.

It's not cheap though.
        http://brokenspokedesign.com

Comment

Looking at it on YouTube, looks pretty good, though gotta admit, spending a day or two searching 3D software and watching tutorials on YouTube to see which seems easier to to learn etc... I've never come across ArtiosCAD.

I was going to go with Blender, but, decided to go for Maya. I basically took an object like a Soda Can, and then went online to find tutorials on how to make one... most results were either Maya or Blender, and the Maya tutorials were done better, and the end results were better. Though likely that's because of whoever was doing the tutorials but, better tutorials, good end results, Maya won for me.

Was hoping it be an easier decision, I appreciate the feedback I got but, was kinda surprised that after almost a week, there were only 2 responses. :S

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• PanToshi
            Reply to Software that can do vector patterns?
            PanToshi
            Hi Thumper and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
            Today, 03:46 PM
          • PanToshi
            Reply to Looking for comments
            PanToshi
            Hi designers kent and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't...
            Today, 03:46 PM
          • PanToshi
            Reply to Flyer Crtitique
            PanToshi
            Hi Pobrien and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
            Today, 03:40 PM
          • HotButton
            Reply to Flyer Crtitique
            HotButton
            There are a lot of opportunities for refinement there, so it's best to start with a general corrective statement: Everything is too large. More specifically, there is no focal point; no hierarchy; no...
            Today, 03:36 PM
          • pobrien
            Flyer Crtitique
            pobrien
            Hi,

I would greatly appreciate feedback on a flyer design for a promotional contest. I am transitioning from a 3D artist to more design work, so I know I have made some mistakes in spacing,...
            Today, 01:12 PM
          GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
          Working...
          X