Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• modelling around 3d scanned object?

Hi all!

I'm very new to 3D designing, and i really hope you can help me with a situation.
    If anything is unclear, i'd be happy to provide more information.

My problem is as followed:
    I'm trying to find a way to create an object for 3d printing, with (almost)perfect 1:1 dimensions.
    For example (and i know it's early) i want to create a partial mask for halloween that fits my face almost perfectly.
    I can make 3d scans for the dimensions and modelling.

How do i go about creating this?
    Do you guys have any suggestions for software?
    How to approach the modelling?

I'm imagining i have to wrap something around an .obj and edit it from there, but i really don't know how to do this.

I tried to search for a tutorial, but i can't find the right one.
    This probably is very easy to do for a 3d pro, but for this ultra noob it's almost impossible.
    Of course i'm willing to learn a certain 3D suite.

Thanks a bunch in advance for any tips, leads, tuts etc!

cheers,
    Daan

Hi Daan and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

You want a perfect mask?
      The way I would do it would be to cast your face they way it would be done if you were getting a hollywood prosthetic mask made.
      Then I'd make a plaster positive cast of your face.
      Then I'd take it to a 3D scanner source I have and have it scanned for 3D output.
      Then I'd work over it, creating the outer mask using a program that outputs the file-type needed for the printer (our engineering tech uses Solidworks here which I've never been able to learn.)
      Then I'd start the printer and wait. And wait. And wait.

Or what I'd really do is I'd take the cast of your face, sculpt in clay, do a rubber mold, recast and be done with it.
      But no one does it that way any more.

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
        Or what I'd really do is I'd take the cast of your face, sculpt in clay, do a rubber mold, recast and be done with it.
        +++
        You can do this with paper too.

Instead of using latex/rubber you can pour in a slurry of paper pulp.

Not terribly durable but it's pretty cool.,
        Keep Saturn in Saturnalia.

Comment

You want a perfect mask?
          The way I would do it would be to cast your face they way it would be done if you were getting a hollywood prosthetic mask made.
          Then I'd make a plaster positive cast of your face.
          Then I'd take it to a 3D scanner source I have and have it scanned for 3D output.
          Then I'd work over it, creating the outer mask using a program that outputs the file-type needed for the printer (our engineering tech uses Solidworks here which I've never been able to learn.)
          Then I'd start the printer and wait. And wait. And wait.

Originally posted by seamas

+++
          You can do this with paper too.

Instead of using latex/rubber you can pour in a slurry of paper pulp.

Not terribly durable but it's pretty cool.,
          Tnx for the quick reply's!
          Great tips :-) I've helped a bit in an oldschool prosthetics and orthodics workshop, and i've caught the grasp of negative->positive molding in the old fashioned way ()gipsen/plaster and such). So completely hand made should not be a problem for me.

I thought this would be a great case to get my feet wet in the world of 3d modelling and printing :-)

Lets say I've made a positive mold of my face and i'm able to make a detailed 3d scan out of it. I've created an .obj file from the 3d scan. How do i go about modelling around the object? And can i delete the object which my design is modeled around?

Sorry for all the questions!
          Tnx a lot guys!

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• PanToshi
            Reply to Happy Thanksgiving!
            PanToshi
            Happy Thanksgiving!

Today, 01:20 PM
          • B
            Reply to Happy Thanksgiving!
            B
            Happy Thanksgiving everyone (even to those of you outside the U.S.)!

As for turkey, I worked a summer job in a Norbest butter ball turkey processing plant before college, and haven't touched...
            Today, 12:57 PM
          • Arka-Software
            Reply to Software that can do vector patterns?
            Arka-Software
            There are many software in the market which are using for vector pattern are:- 1) Inkscape 2) Xara Xtreme 3) Skencil 4) Scribus 5) VRR 6) CoceptDrow PRO 7) ZeusDraw 8) MagicTracer 9) Nodebox 10) Tgif
            Today, 12:46 PM
          • PrintDriver
            Reply to Software that can do vector patterns?
            PrintDriver
            You want a program that is used to dealing with vector axis data. Photoshop would probably be inappropriate.

The only way I can think to do this is to have a script written for Illustrator...
            Today, 09:10 AM
          • KitchWitch
            Reply to New in Here
            KitchWitch
            Hi Asif_shawon and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't...
            Today, 09:09 AM
          GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
          Working...
          X