Slicing a 3D Object?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slicing a 3D Object?

I am working on a project where I am creating a stackable cardboard statue from a 3D .obj figure. The figure is currently in one whole piece, but to make things a bit more manageable, I want to try and slice apart all of the appendages (i.e. left arm/right arm/left leg/etc.) and save them as their own individual .obj files. I'm sure there is a relatively easy way to do this, but I don't really know where to start. I'm still very much a novice when it comes to 3D design, and I can't seem to find the correct term or process to get what I want in this case.

Are there any programs you would recommend for this particular task that is readily accessible for a newbie? Preferably free or inexpensive (since I only really need it for this one project at the moment), and compatible with Mac. If it helps: I currently have Poser 10 and Blender installed on my computer.

Hi Eastshore4 and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Have you tried 3DS Max. If you are a student, Autodesk generally offers free student downloads of the software.

Comment

I believe I registered for the student version of 3DS Max a year or two ago while in school... I guess the question is: what do I do when I get it? I do have a few 3D programs; I just don't know where I need to start.

Comment

With 3DS Max, you should just be able to select the different pieces that you want to keep together and separate them from their original mesh. Then delete the rest and save it as it's own .obj file. Sounds simple enough, but the UI of 3DS Max is not the easiest to figure out without practice.

Comment

It's been a while, but I wanted to give an update:

I recently tried to download the Student version of 3DS Max, but it appears they only offer the WIndows version for download. Any other suggestions? Would Maya be able to do this easily?

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
            Working...
            X