Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Create 3D model from old photos

Hello there,
    Is there any software that I can use to create a 3D model from old photos?
    I need to create a model of a nose that will be used for 3D printing. It will be used for facial prosthesis so it needs to be very accurate and similar to the old nose.
    I want to use my old photos to generate the model.
    I have photos from diffrenet angles and I wonder if it's possible to combine them into a single 3D model.
    Thanks for your answers!

Hi Angelhoney and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

If I were going to make a prosthesis, one that is going to be worn over or in place of a current nose, I would live-cast the existing facial structure, then I would sculpt the new nose onto the cast in modelling clay so that it looked like the photos. Then since you are using 3D printing to make the prosthesis, I would have the sculpted piece 3D scanned (yes there are such things.) You have to do both inside and out so the new fits perfectly onto the real.

Normally you would cast the sculpt, then remove the sculpt from the live-cast, clean everything up, silicone the parts, fit the two together and run your foam.

There are people who already do this for patients who have suffered disfiguring facial cancers.
      Maybe not the 3D part though because the people who do this for real, do the final cast using a nasty, toxic foam rubber process that when cured resembles real flesh in look and feel, right down to having ''pores''. I briefly went down this road while still in my gonna-work-for-the-movies days. Did a bit of prosthetic casting with a theatrical makeup artist and met another artist working with cancer patients who did a rather grim exhibit here at a local museum.

Would be cool if there was a 3D printer that could print that stuff. Probably not too far away.
      Last edited by PrintDriver; 03-18-2016, 12:13 PM.

Comment

can i see your sample images. I am using rhino 5 by the way.

Comment

I'm also interested in that topic. What is the fast, yet high quality way to create 3d models out of multiple pictures (clothes in my case)? Some simple and powerful programs...

Comment

Hi Roman and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
            Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Man, everyone wants the Easy Button on this.
              3D printed sculpting takes some real mad skillz that involve being able to visualize and create wireframes accurately in 3D. Not simple push buttons.
              About the best you are gonna get right now with photos is more of a bas-relief type piece where the software reads shades of gray values in an image converted to black and white, and bases the build heights on those shades of gray. You can get some interesting bad errors when doing these so being able to visualize the simulation on the computer screen is a big plus. We do this with a subtractive process using a 3-axis CNC in sign foam using Solidworks. We also have a limited capacity for full 3D print sculpting. For super accurate work, we have to contract a 3D artist or as noted below, scan a clay sculpture.
              Last edited by PrintDriver; 09-20-2017, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
              Working...
              X