Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Logo created by old software - best way to re-create???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Logo created by old software - best way to re-create???

This is embarrassing that I can't figure this out but what is the easiest method to re-create this old logo look? The gentleman passed away and his family wants this logo (only the outlined letters with the gradient) to be etched on his headstone. The letters are easy enough but I can't seem to get the precise perspective gradient. I know this method was used a lot long ago with some of the first graphic software programs but I would like to improve on it so they are happy with the finished product. Thank you in advance!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	JoeMoser-logo.png
Views:	2
Size:	379.2 KB
ID:	20887
    Attached Files

Hi Little and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Has the family asked the stone cutter if they can even do that?
      Gradients and sandblasting aren't usually compatible things....
      If at all possible, talk to them yourself. You need parameters on line weight and text size.
      The thin outlines and the thin strokes at the bottoms of the E and L (and most of the other letters as well) are going to be problematic cutting to any depth.

As for getting the gradient, make the perspective shapes, make them a compound path and apply the gradient to the compound path.

You are probably going to have to trace the lettering and the extrusion. Illustrator does not do that well.

Comment

• LittleLynell
        LittleLynell commented
        Editing a comment
        Good point on asking the stone cutter...that answer could solve this whole problem. Thanks.

You could probably recreate the look of a gradient by using stimpleing or crosshatching or something like that. But yeah, check with the engravers first to see what they recommend and ask for samples of similar work so you get an idea how precise they can be.

Comment

Doubtful in stone. And certainly not very deep. Laser etching might be possible, but barely scratches the surface. You want something that will weather for a good loooong while on a tombstone and still look good decades later..

BTW, this is why you don't use gradients in logos.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• SniffySlug
          Seeking Help on 123Design Project.
          SniffySlug
          I need to adjust the thickness of the inside in order to print the object but now I can't figure out how to increase the inside. its currently .4mm and it needs to be .7 or .8. I have tried the tweak,...
          Yesterday, 10:07 PM
        • TaMac
          Reply to Portfolio in need of a review!
          TaMac
          Yup. That is a massive fail! Good to know however...

Here is the proper link

https://taramaclean.myportfolio.com/projects

Thanks!
          Yesterday, 08:17 PM
        • trevoz
          quark 2016 and fontexplorer
          trevoz
          I have just installed QXP2016 and now I cannot run FontExplorer X Pro. Every time I run Font explorer QXP crashes. QXP will not open if Fontexplorer is open. Any one else having these problems
          Yesterday, 05:29 PM
        • Teejaa91
          EAN13 batch design
          Teejaa91
          Hi everyone,

For my job in the wholesale I have a question (how to find a way to automate EAN13 barcode in my designs). I recently learned a lot about CSV files - excel and datamerge etc....
          Yesterday, 02:28 PM
        • KitchWitch
          Reply to Portfolio in need of a review!
          KitchWitch
          Hi Tamac and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything...
          Yesterday, 10:39 AM
        GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
        Working...
        X