X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cinema 3D for the price is a great program all the models and clothes we build for poserworld.com is built in cinema.

Allen

Allen Harkleroad
    "I didn't do it... You didn't see me... You can't prove a thing..."

Make a donation to GDF to help us keep the forum running.
    Click here
    Allen Harkleroad
    Father of Graphic Design Forum

"Bored? Who has time to be bored?"

Comment

Yes i agree Allen, i'm using R8 right now(was luck to have a frined give it to me) but hope to get R9 when i get more familiar.

Comment

Hey Tyger,

I just wanted to chime in and say that i've been using maya for a while now and will keep an eye out for any questions that may arise. i also have a general background in motion graphics, although its more of a personal interest than a well trodden professional course.

The potential for using 3D in graphic design now is huge and even the most basic packages are a worthwhile investment for alot of people.

Keep up the good work fella!

Ollie

hand : ollie@ollielindsey.co.uk
        eye : www.ollielindsey.co.uk
        mouth :

Comment

Hey thanx Bear! I would definitely appreciate the help around here even if it's pretty dead at the moment
          (**watches tumbleweed pass by**) Feel free to post some of your work as well. I'll be startinf a 3d showcase thread very soon.

As i mentioned before i've wanted to take up Maya too but i've decided to focus on Swift3d and Cinema4d. Hopefully i can learn enough to take on Maya eventually.

Cheers!

Comment

I too, am an avid Maya user. I have tried just about every 3D software out there barring Universe and Rhino. Out of all that I tried, I got the best results and the best NURB/Polygon modeling and renders out of Maya.

Of course, I also took a 11 week course to learn how to use it and then bought around ten manuals (wink).

I love it!
            Spectral Analysis
            Not to be confused with an anal spectacle.

Comment

Strata is one i have been playing with cheap and easy beggining learning

Comment

Theres one app which has not been mention here, which is Avid's Softmage XSI,
                the older ver. of this was called Softimage 3D.

You can try out the demo version. just download it from http://www.softimage.com/products/xs...pkg=foundation

Comment

Oops sorry it got doubled,

I just found the same link on the "downloadable demo... " forum.

Sorry guys.

Comment

I have spent the last few months playing with Bryce 4 to get into 3D. My main interest has been creating 3D scenes that I can incorporate into PS still image work, but I notice that Bryce will do some animation.
                    My main interest at the moment is exploring the various surface edits and varigated colour effects - I have posted one example on 3D showcase.
                    Anyone else doing time with Bryce?
                    I plan to move on to others - I teach in this area so enjoy discovering things then getting the students started on that before moving on to others.
                    Ciao, Keith
                    Avid learner, explorer, creator and traveller

Comment

Originally posted by Takayuki
                      Theres one app which has not been mention here, which is Avid's Softmage XSI,
                      the older ver. of this was called Softimage 3D.

You can try out the demo version. just download it from http://www.softimage.com/products/xs...pkg=foundation

Actually it was mentioned on the first page of this thread.
                      You want it when!? Well in that case, let me pull my magic wand out of my ass and take care of that for you.

Comment

Hi peeps,
                        Help me plz... I,m looking for a software program which i need for a project i,ve been asked to do. Problem is which one. Right, i need to display the damage alcohol does to the body, in 3D and there needs to be mouse overs and maybe interactive buttons and such like. Does anyone know which is the best program for me to use for this. I got some experience with certain programs but havent got any idea which would work best for this. Any help/answers would be very appriecated. Thanks

Comment

I'd recommend using 3D Studio Max, just finished a course on it...great application and very easy to use infact

Comment

I dipped my toes into 3D with Specular's Infini-D demo, eventually buying the version after Metacreations bought it. Metacreations then killed it and put out Carrera. Infini-D, especially under Specular's guidance, was an amazingly easy and intuitive Mac 3D app. It was well suited to TV logo work, but not so hot for organic shapes or realistic texturing. I tried Bryce at version 3 and really loved the procedural texture tools - but it's modeling was nearly non-existant, requiring building shapes from primitives with booleans or importing DXF files. Hash's Animation:Master is a fabulous program that I bought into when it was $99. It's currently $299, and yearly upgrades are $99. A:M uses 'patches' rather then polygons; patch building is very similar to using the pen tool in illustrator, and patches exhibit bezier-like behavior. A:M supports every texture type you will ever need as well as procedural textures and objects influencing nearby textures. Every year adds more features. It is an incredible bargain for the tools it gives you, though I did find it crashed a lot (but haven't upgraded it since Mac OS 9 days, nor tried it on my winbox).

Comment

Originally posted by Talkfreelance
                              I'd recommend using 3D Studio Max, just finished a course on it...great application and very easy to use infact
                              3D Studio Max is a very very powerful 3D software, it is NOT very easy to use, it has a very difficult learning curve. I was learning it from version 4, 5, 6, and 7. I was in sooooo many classes. BUT there are tutorials that can be used to pick it up fairly well.

There is also a site out that if you need 3d models and you dont want to sit through the troubles of making the, but you can buy them at a fairly decent price. If you intend on using it heavily on many things that require textures, do get the texture library (its expensive but worth it).

Dont take 3dsmax as a lightweight program, it is far from it. Same with Rhinocerous3d (need the rendering programs to go with it: flamingo).

Some sites with models and textures:

http://www.the3dstudio.com

http://www.turbosquid.com/3d

http://www.max-realms.com/

3dsmax is also really expensive with the extras. Rhino3d is about a fraction of the cost including the other packages that goes with it. BUT! Toystory, Bugslife and many other pixar movies were created in 3dsmax FYI

*EDIT* What ever 3d software you get, load up your computer with ram and a nice processor, you will find out that you have very little ram, when it crashes on you while rendering. the poly and nurb count can get really really high, it takes alot to process the math when your project is really intense in detail.

BTW I have no idea how Autodesk has screwed up 3dsmax when they bought it from Discreet.
                              Last edited by Navian; 02-15-2006, 06:26 PM.
                              pas·sion
                              If there is no passion in your life, then have you already lived? Find your passion, whatever it may be. Become it, and let it become you, and you will find great things happen for you, to you, and because of you.
                              -T. Alan Armstrong

Comment

Originally posted by Malaclypse
                                I dipped my toes into 3D with Specular's Infini-D demo, eventually buying the version after Metacreations bought it. Metacreations then killed it and put out Carrera. Infini-D, especially under Specular's guidance, was an amazingly easy and intuitive Mac 3D app. It was well suited to TV logo work, but not so hot for organic shapes or realistic texturing. I tried Bryce at version 3 and really loved the procedural texture tools - but it's modeling was nearly non-existant, requiring building shapes from primitives with booleans or importing DXF files. Hash's Animation:Master is a fabulous program that I bought into when it was $99. It's currently $299, and yearly upgrades are $99. A:M uses 'patches' rather then polygons; patch building is very similar to using the pen tool in illustrator, and patches exhibit bezier-like behavior. A:M supports every texture type you will ever need as well as procedural textures and objects influencing nearby textures. Every year adds more features. It is an incredible bargain for the tools it gives you, though I did find it crashed a lot (but haven't upgraded it since Mac OS 9 days, nor tried it on my winbox).
                                I'm glad to hear someone mention A:M. I invested in that a few years ago for OS9, but I haven't had the time to really dig into it. I've debated upgrading to the OSX version, but I don't know if my 400 MHz G4 will be up to the task. Is anyone else using the latest version? Will I need a beefier machine to run it? I have maxed out the memory on the G4, and added a speedier 80GB drive to it, so I'm hoping that would help.

Besides having a machine that can handle it, I also need to somehow find the time to learn the software a difficult prospect with a 3-year-old in the house wanting to help! She already has her own Bondi iMac to play with, so I hope to distract her with games on that while I learn to do 3D 'n stuff on my machine.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• PanToshi
                                  Reply to Software that can do vector patterns?
                                  PanToshi
                                  Hi Thumper and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
                                  Today, 03:46 PM
                                • PanToshi
                                  Reply to Looking for comments
                                  PanToshi
                                  Hi designers kent and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't...
                                  Today, 03:46 PM
                                • PanToshi
                                  Reply to Flyer Crtitique
                                  PanToshi
                                  Hi Pobrien and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
                                  Today, 03:40 PM
                                • HotButton
                                  Reply to Flyer Crtitique
                                  HotButton
                                  There are a lot of opportunities for refinement there, so it's best to start with a general corrective statement: Everything is too large. More specifically, there is no focal point; no hierarchy; no...
                                  Today, 03:36 PM
                                • pobrien
                                  Flyer Crtitique
                                  pobrien
                                  Hi,

I would greatly appreciate feedback on a flyer design for a promotional contest. I am transitioning from a 3D artist to more design work, so I know I have made some mistakes in spacing,...
                                  Today, 01:12 PM
                                GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                                Working...
                                X