This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My new advice below.
    Last edited by CG Man; 06-27-2006, 01:51 PM.
    Digital Illustration, 3D Rendering, Logo Design

Portfolio & website - http://www.cgeffect.com

Comment

If your new to 3D my advice is try the demos but spend your life learning one that is the industry standard in games, movies or illustration. I started with bryce with its year per frame rendering. I then moved on to Cinema 4D SE then Cinema 4D XL and Bodypaint just when I was getting good I baught Softimage XSI and spent 2 years learning from scratch XSI has not got tools anything like Cinema 4D it was like I was a noob again only difference was I understood lighting and moving points.

Maya or Softimage for the TV and film industry
      Max for games but keep your eye on Softimge XSI its showing up in more and more studios Valve Studios are one of them.
      Digital Illustration, 3D Rendering, Logo Design

Portfolio & website - http://www.cgeffect.com

Comment

Just my $.02, I've used Strata, Maya, Lightwave, Blender and *cough* Poser.

I found Lightwave a little frustrating at first. I had been using Strata for some time and it as relatively easy though not as powerful as I would like. I got Lightwave and toyed around with it but never really liked it. So I went to Maya and found it a lot more fun to use. The problem I have with Maya is it's export and import functions. They seem a bit limited. I do game design on the side and found out that all the stuff I drew for our 3D fantasy game wouldn't export into the format my Programmer wanted them. I found Lightwave much more versitile in this aspect.
        By no means am I a pro at these applications. I'm very much an amatuer. My favorite to play with is Maya, their manuals are extremely helpful. I'm sure I'm just missing something.
        When life hands you lemons, fling poo!

Comment

Hiya folks.....

Just curious about something. I have been reading quite a bit here and noticed that very few (if any) people use Poser and Bryce. I have been using both for some time now and although I always end up running the images through a Corel paint program for touch-ups and such afterward....I like the output of the two.

Are these proggies not well liked?

Thanks
          They finally gave me a taco, but I like to wrap them in toast.----->

Comment

Max, Poser is all well and good if you know how to use it. I've never really liked the interface and it's never clicked with the way I think. I don't have the most recent version of it but I have had the previous ones and it's never really gotten much better. IMO of course. I do like the fact that you can export from Poser into a Lightwave format. I haven't found a way to get it into Maya though, which frustrates me.
            Bryce I haven't used in ages, I always liked the program but it didn't seem to be broad enough for what I needed. Of course, I don't have much of a clue about what it can do anymore.
            If it works for you, then it's a good program for you, right?
            When life hands you lemons, fling poo!

Comment

The Poser user interface is at best....non-intuitive. It is at worst....a nightmare. And with only one undo level....frustration reaches new highs. However I have struggled through and do like the output. I was just curious why people weren't using it. The user interface? Quality? Better alternatives? etc....

It does work for me for the most part....and is the closest I can get to a computer version of the oil portraits I once did.
              They finally gave me a taco, but I like to wrap them in toast.----->

Comment

hi, i've used 3D max and my skills i say is just a biginner then i switched t Maya 7. i also want to know what is the best software between the two os i dont waste my time focusing on Max or Maya, here is what i did in Maya,im just a biginner,iwant to learn more.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by maxx
                  The Poser user interface is at best....non-intuitive. It is at worst....a nightmare. And with only one undo level....frustration reaches new highs. However I have struggled through and do like the output. I was just curious why people weren't using it. The user interface? Quality? Better alternatives? etc....

It does work for me for the most part....and is the closest I can get to a computer version of the oil portraits I once did.

The one undo level is a killer .... still can't figure out why they can't change that

But I love poser and what it is able to produce. The only problem I have is finding tutorials ... or even tips and tricks.

Maxx has taught me a great deal though ... so that is a big help

Comment

I use Animation Master when I can. My work currently doesn't have a huge call for 3D as I've changed industry and career. But from what I can see, 3D is become a bigger part of the Web more than ever.
                    James Tadeo - Web Design Brampton

Comment

Just Started Learning New 3D Prog.

Hello All,

I just got Blender as an intro into 3d modeling/animation graphics for online. Is this a good place to start? I also have 3DStudMax, but I hear the learning curve on that puppy is a doozy so it may take a while to learn.

I'm moving towards designing more online. am I in a good space with my ambitions? That is, use Blender because it's a faster learn, while continuing to learn 3DStudMax over time.

Opinions? Suggestions?

Max

Comment

Originally posted by Red Kittie Kat
                        The one undo level is a killer .... still can't figure out why they can't change that

But I love poser and what it is able to produce. The only problem I have is finding tutorials ... or even tips and tricks.

Maxx has taught me a great deal though ... so that is a big help
                        Hey Red,

I found this for you (you may have already found it):
                        http://www.tutorialguide.net/3d_software/poser/

Max

Comment

Hey Max thank you

I missed this yesterday ... I will look into it

Comment

as for rendering, lots of 3d-people i know preffer Maxwell for photorealistic renders.
                            i didn't look into this thread so don't get angry if like 10 ppl already said that maxwell is crappy
                            we do what we like, and we like what we do

Comment

Originally posted by Flash MX Guy
                              I use Animation Master when I can. My work currently doesn't have a huge call for 3D as I've changed industry and career. But from what I can see, 3D is become a bigger part of the Web more than ever.

You use milkshape and you know it. You can't fool me

Picking a 3D software based on "what you think you should learn" is like picking your date based on what her mother looks like. You will never get what you expect. You could learn studio max but the next job you want may only work with maya and you are then s.o.l. The basic fundamentals are what you should learn and then go shopping for software. Most 3D sofware have simmilar capabilities. I say that tounge in cheek to some extent because there are huge gaps between packages like XSi and Bryce.

Comment

Hey,

I joined to ask for some help...

I want to design clothes and view them on 3D people, however I don't have a great knowledge of CAD stuffs.

Price doesn't really matter, but the software must not be too complicated.

I need to design sports and trendy clothes, football shirts in particular.

I don't know how companies like Nike, Adidas etc design their apparel, but I'd like to go down that line perhaps. Don't know if thats too complicated.

If someone could e-mail me with some help I would be very appreciative!

will_bcfc@hotmail.com

Either that or a quick response here would be lovely!

thanks

Will

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                                Working...
                                X