Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Running big programs off remote HD on school computer.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running big programs off remote HD on school computer.

Hello.
    I just realized that my computer is a little too old to run software like Autodesk 3Ds. I had an intention to learn it by running a student version on my house computer. However it is not fast enough.

Is there any way those installations can be made on a pereferal hard drive and be attached to the college library computer via USB and used there? (If school computers' graphic cards are good enough.)

Thank you.

You would likely have to make a portable version, so that the registry enties and such are avaiable to the program. Doing this manually requires a lot of know how, but there are a few free programs that can help you make other programs portable which I have used successfully in the past.

http://www.cameyo.com/
    http://www.evalaze.de/en/Versionsvergleich/
    http://jauntepe.sourceforge.net/index.html

Comment

Don't most autodesk programs require a physical key or dongle or have a bios recognition?

Comment

Yeah and your workstation and libraries need to be registered I believe - Licensed.
        "After all is said and done, more is said than done."
        Aesop

Comment

There are portable versions of 3DSmax available on the web (less than legal though ). I guess if you payed for a license it would be okay ethically.

Comment

ahem... PERIPHERAL.

Comment

Originally posted by Leyral View Post
              There are portable versions of 3DSmax available on the web (less than legal though ). I guess if you payed for a license it would be okay ethically.

Unless you are a lawyer...I would never recommend this.

Just because you buy a license....does not give you the right to break the EULA.

Were I in the OP's position...I would investigate a new computer. Honestly, new computers are cheap, and since you are a student...they are even cheaper. Every place is running back to school specials right now...just for you!!! Take advantage of one and you won't regret it.
              "Go ahead, make your logos in PS. We charge extra money to redraw your logo into vector art so it can be printed on promotional product. Cha CHING! " - CCericola

Comment

I went to Wal-Mart last night. Honestly, I was floored by the prices there. You can get a reasonable laptop for less than $400 dollars.

You'll need to add some RAM to it. But, memory is cheap these days.
                "Go ahead, make your logos in PS. We charge extra money to redraw your logo into vector art so it can be printed on promotional product. Cha CHING! " - CCericola

Comment

Ok. This problem is solved. Thank you.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                  Working...
                  X