Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3D figures ... n00bie questions...

Hi Folks

First of all, I apologize in advance for the 'vagueness' of this post, as I've never been involved in anything like this before now.

I'm currently working on some graphics for an internet site.

The client would like a 3D figure of a 'mascot' on various pages. This mascot (see extremely rough mockup below) will be in various poses on various pages (probably 12-16 in total).

On each of the pages, the basic 'figure' will be in grey, with an orange 'cape' a logo on the chest, and also a pair of shades!

My questions ...

1. If I invested in some 3D wire-frame software, how long would it take me to get up to speed with it (having never done anything remotely 3D), how easy to create the kind of figure shown, and, how easy to then 'change' the figure into other poses.

2. Or ... would it be easier / cost effective, to pay a professional to design and create the 3D figure for me, and I can pay for it. I then grab some 3D software and 'modify' the figure provided into the varous poses required for the site (would this kind of thing even be possible)?

3. Or ... would I just be better off posting up in the classifieds, finding a professional with experience to come up with the original figure, and then give him a list of the 'poses' I require and let him/her provide me the final graphics in png format (although the overall cost is critical on the site so I couldn't throw too many $$$ at this)?

Any insights, suggestions, etc., are as usual greatly appreciated.

Thanks

This is a 'rough' idea of the figure:

3D is a whole different world. You have think like an engineer, not a graphic designer. I have started to do a good bit of 3d work here, but something like that is beyond what I'm capable of. Otherwise I'd offer to help you out.

If I were you and the budget would allow it, I'd hire someone to do it.
    http://brokenspokedesign.com

Comment

Thanks Cosmo ... I had a feeling that would be the case!

Comment

If you hire a 3D artist I would suggest a character sheet with multiple poses no?
        or get something simple like poser and try your hand at it but depending on the Application they used if its something 3d Max thats a %k purchase for the software
        "After all is said and done, more is said than done."
        Aesop

Comment

Daz3d, and look up the BOI product or another one of thier toon products.

You'll have this installed and posed, lit (photo lighting) and done within a few hours. And tons less headache than trying to model and rig an object yourself.

http://www.daz3d.com/products/daz-st...-is-daz-studio

http://www.daz3d.com/catalogsearch/r...&x=-1196&y=-43

And if you need any tips to get a good render - give me a shout. I've been using this program for years.

Comment

Originally posted by Drazan View Post
            Hey thanks Drazan ... that's most interesting (and wouldn't break the bank!)

Comment

Originally posted by Drazan View Post

You'll have this installed and posed, lit (photo lighting) and done within a few hours. And tons less headache than trying to model and rig an object yourself.

http://www.daz3d.com/products/daz-st...-is-daz-studio

http://www.daz3d.com/catalogsearch/r...&x=-1196&y=-43

And if you need any tips to get a good render - give me a shout. I've been using this program for years.
              Thanks. Now I'll never get anything done today...

Comment

Originally posted by Cosmo View Post
                Thanks. Now I'll never get anything done today...

Me neither!

Comment

lol

If you do get addicted, check out their platinum membership. You'll save up to 90% on prices.

Comment

Okay, so... dumb question - I installed it but can't find it.

On Mac OSX. Can't find the actual software anywhere.

Comment

About This Mac > More Info > Software > Applications ? should list all your software.

Comment

When I ran the installer, it gave me this (which was the default and I didn't change it!):
                        /Applications/DAZ 3D/DAZStudio4

I don't suppose it would be as simple as finding it in there?

Comment

uhm... I don't have a mac. So ....

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewannounce/5404_16/

sorry!

Comment

Does Spotlight find it?
                            This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
                            "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Just a quick update to this thread ... I couldn't run the latest version of DAZ 3D on my version of OSX (10.4), so a couple of guys on the DAZ forum suggested I try find a version 3.0 download (which would easily do what I need).

I tried a couple of downloads, but all them required a valid serial number (which is a shame, as the newer version is free!).

One of the guys on the forum suggested I open a support ticket with the DAZ tech guys and explain my problem. Support replied instantly with a download link for a version that will work on my Mac, along with a serial number to unlock it!

Top marks from me and I haven't even installed it yet!

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Glitchin
                                Reply to What kind and which book would it be wise to spend on?
                                Glitchin
                                Work for money design for love by David Airey and Know Your Onions: Graphic Design by Drew De Soto are good books for freelancers if your just starting out in the industry.

Also Pretty Much...
                                Today, 03:55 PM
                              • Glitchin
                                Comment on Logo Feedback
                                Glitchin
                                I'm confused. This is one of your designs from your original post right? I meant if you could post an image of the logo the client liked, it might help. "They provided me a Logo they want it...
                                Today, 03:24 PM
                              • Glitchin
                                Reply to Critique Please?
                                Glitchin
                                This is the latest version. I have thickened the CF and lowered the weight of the sound....
                                Today, 02:58 PM
                              • Glitchin
                                Comment on Critique Please?
                                Glitchin
                                Hey thanks for the feedback.

I have tried what you're suggesting with shapes rather than lines, but it didn't work for me.

That's the challenge, making it looking like CF whilst...
                                Today, 02:54 PM
                              • PrintDriver
                                Reply to Portfolio usage of work
                                PrintDriver
                                Nice article B, and illustrates my point about being an LLC or a sole proprietor. The LLC is a business entity separate from your personal life. With sole proprietorship, all of your belongings and assets...
                                Today, 12:42 PM
                              GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                              Working...
                              X