Not GD, but still cool?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not GD, but still cool?

So I've been missing my 3d modeling lately, started messing around with some new software. Just sharing.
    p.s. - No Photoshop.
    Attached Files

Moved to the 3D software sub.

Can you explain a little more about what you did? Is this entirely from scratch, or did you start with some 2D illustrations?
    This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
    "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Didn't know there was a 3D section :O

This was started in Solidworks with the use of technical drawings. The rendering was done in Autodesk Alias (which I'm currently teaching myself to model in). I was on a time limit for a portfolio piece which is why it was done in Solidworks first.

The rendering for this is showing the native quality of Alias, being done on a Macbook Pro, so the software does not require a special graphics card. The textures, reflections, environment, lighting and materials are all in real time.

Comment

That is really cool. You said there was no Photoshop, so how did you add the display (app icons and such)?

I wish I had time to tackle 3D, but the learning curve is too steep and the practical value for me would be too small — especially considering that I don't have enough time to even keep up with those things I need to know.

Comment

Originally posted by <b> View Post
          That is really cool. You said there was no Photoshop, so how did you add the display (app icons and such)?
          That home screen is just something I got from Google. It's basically done like a decal on the model, that way it's pretty much attached to it. The software is smart enough to skew the image how it needs to.

Learning 3D is tough even when your taking traditional courses on it. I'm only teaching myself a few things so I can maybe do some really cool packaging without having to make a physical piece. I do like to dabble in some industrial design things too. Nothing crazy like a car or anything. Should quit playing around and learn some PHP or something useful.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Biggs097
            Reply to Poster for a school project
            Biggs097
            Yeah, it's looking a bit drab.

Find a nice high-res photo of a beach on a royalty-free site. Lose the transparency, the photo doesn't need to be washed out, just find a vibrant beach scene...
            Today, 12:02 PM
          • B
            Reply to A question about advancing education
            B
            Here's a paraphrased version of an actual conversation I had with our HR department a few months back. Seriously.

Me -- "How many job applicants did we receive for the open position?"...
            Today, 11:45 AM
          • designzombie
            designzombie
            Certifications might make the difference when choosing between 2 seemingly equally qualified candidates with equally impressive portfolios. But that's only after all other qualifications such as 4-year...
            Today, 11:19 AM
          • HotButton
            Reply to Poster for a school project
            HotButton
            And for a beach party, I'm sure you can do better than this photo of a pier.
            Today, 10:04 AM
          • KitchWitch
            KitchWitch
            Hi Roland198 and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
            Today, 09:25 AM
          GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
          Working...
          X