Metal flake paint rendering

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metal flake paint rendering

Jeez, 3d has been hoppin' lately. Here's some metallic flake paint I've been working on in Autodesk Alias Design. I'm sure there is a better way to do it than how I did, but it's hard to find any tutorials on this program. The reason something like this can't just be an image is because you want the "flake" to react to the scene lighting the same way it would in real life. For example if you notice around the windows are in the scene, that it where the flake shows up. The paint color can also be changed independently without effecting the texture.
    Attached Files

Very cool. Now could you wrap that onto other surfaces? I've never explored this much is PS.

Comment

Photoshop wasn't touched for this. This is all in a 3d environment. It's basically done like you would paint a car in real life. The red is the base coat, and the the flake (bump map) is on top. Any surface this gets applied to, it will wrap itself.

In the application, all of the shadows and textures are rendered in real time. I'll do a car hood or something later and show that. Too bad we can't post videos, I would have done a screen recording. Maybe I'll do one and put it on Youtube with a link.

Comment

Michael those are very nice. I have delved into 3d a bit and have learned to use several modeling and rendering software packages. I have found the ability to layer materials to create some amazingly beautiful effects. With GPU rendering becoming more available now so it is much less time consuming and less trial and error, I think graphic designers with good modeling / rendering skills will stand out above the rest.

Comment

That's pretty cool actually, as it's not such an easy texture to replicate. You did a great job with that!

Some 3d programs are more capable than others when trying to layer shader styles. I'm primarily a FormZ user, and there's no way I'd try a metallic texture with that. I think it would be easier in something like 3ds Max or Maya and now that I've seen your example I'd like to try it myself for one of the 3d projects I'm currently working on...

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• PanToshi
            Reply to Software that can do vector patterns?
            PanToshi
            Hi Thumper and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
            Today, 03:46 PM
          • PanToshi
            Reply to Looking for comments
            PanToshi
            Hi designers kent and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't...
            Today, 03:46 PM
          • PanToshi
            Reply to Flyer Crtitique
            PanToshi
            Hi Pobrien and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
            Today, 03:40 PM
          • HotButton
            Reply to Flyer Crtitique
            HotButton
            There are a lot of opportunities for refinement there, so it's best to start with a general corrective statement: Everything is too large. More specifically, there is no focal point; no hierarchy; no...
            Today, 03:36 PM
          • pobrien
            Flyer Crtitique
            pobrien
            Hi,

I would greatly appreciate feedback on a flyer design for a promotional contest. I am transitioning from a 3D artist to more design work, so I know I have made some mistakes in spacing,...
            Today, 01:12 PM
          GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
          Working...
          X