Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• Sketcher
    Comment on Your Workflow when creating Ads, Posters, etc...
    Sketcher
    Anything that has multiple pages like a brochure, I lay out in InDesign. For something that is one page, like a poster, either InDesign or Illustrator would do fine. Though, InDesign has better output...
    Today, 07:53 PM
  • swgj19
    Reply to Feedback on my logo
    swgj19
    Thank you everyone for the feedback. It appears my logo is out of date. Here is the flat design. What should I do with this....
    Today, 07:47 PM
  • designzombie
    Comment on Graphic Designer salary
    designzombie
    I guess I'm too immersed in the lower end of the profession. I think B2B advertisers budget less of their income towards marketing than B2C. Or maybe they have smaller profit margins.

I...
    Today, 06:57 PM
  • GregoryL
    Reply to Feedback on Medical Cannabis Beverage Logo
    GregoryL
    While you may want to continue working towards an idea you feel strongly about, the blue circle logo in the last example you shared works well - I like its simplicity.
    Today, 06:18 PM
  • Sketcher
    Reply to Feedback on my logo
    Sketcher
    Sorry, but this is anything but contemporary or rustic. It's very Web 2.0 which is about 10 years out of date.

You should be designing your logo in Illustrator. No gloss, no bevels, no...
    Today, 06:04 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drop Shadow in Illustrator

How do you make a speckled/dithered drop shadow in Illustrator? This is common on packages and I haven't figured out how to do it. Help?

Here's an example...

Last edited by balou; 01-30-2006, 10:20 AM.

If you are talking about the shadow behind the letters this is literally a push-the-button Effect. You need v10 or above.

Illustrator does have a Help index for simple (and not so simple) questions.

Comment

Using Illustrator CS on Mac. I understand how to do a drop shadow effect but can not find in the help files how to dither it as in picture.

Comment

I would take it into photoshop and add the drop shadow in there! Play with the "noise" slider until you get your desired effect. Has you want this type of drop shadow beware you won't be able to scale it as you would a vector image!

Hope this helps!
        Design is only as good as what it achieves

Comment

Won't transparency be an issue when I bring it back into Illustrator? I was hoping it could be done in Illustrator so it remains vector.

Comment

Sorry, I had assumed the texture/dithering to be a function of the print process in the example you posted.

Since the drop shadow is already a raster effect, as long as you know the final output size of your piece, you can do it in PS as suggested. If this is a logo or something who's size isn't fixed, you may want to reconsider the noise effect.

Comment

One thing about Illustrator and drop shadows. Always create a duplicate layer behind the one you want the shadow on and apply the shadow to the dupe. Once you apply it you can't get it off if you need to remove it or change it for some reason.

Comment

This may be a bit of a hack work around, but if you want to keep the thing as a vector you could fool around with making a custom scatter brush made of dots and then apply it to a duplicate of your text, underneath the original text.
                match in the gas tank, boom boom

Comment

Originally posted by Kool
                  One thing about Illustrator and drop shadows. Always create a duplicate layer behind the one you want the shadow on and apply the shadow to the dupe. Once you apply it you can't get it off if you need to remove it or change it for some reason.
                  you can also get it off in the apperence pallete, changes are different but you can get rid of it

Comment

You can change a drop shadow or get rid of it it in the appearance palette only if you create it as an EFFECT. If you do it as a FILTER you are hosed.

Comment

this information was useful. Thanks
                      Web Design | Personal Blog | sam_khrap - Think.

Comment

blog/portfolio

Comment

There are two different ways to do this. You can either apply an effect by going to the taskbar and selecting Effect->Stylize->Drop Shadow, or option #2: Copy the object, paste it in front, hit "control+[" ("Option+[" for Mac) so that it is behind the original object, fill it with black, then go to your transparency palette, and choose "Hard Light" (or whatever best suits the shadow you need) with a opacity setting of 80%. This will cause the texture of the background to show through while still preserving the vector shape.

Why do the latter? This enables you to adjust the shape of the shadow if you have an odd dimension of space, and need to have the shadows wrap (eg, the background falls away or a "wall" adjusts the shadow. If you do it with the easier of the two methods, then the shadows will not wrap around, as they will follow the shape you put the effect on, and as such you cannot adjust it to where it will look like correct shading.

EDIT: Here is an image to what I am talking about. The top one is the two shapes, where the bottom is the effect. Excuse the rather mediocre image, as this was whipped up to show the difference in a timely manner.
                          Last edited by palo1; 04-24-2009, 02:05 PM.
                          ~People like me are the reason people like you take medication~
                          Portfolio

Comment

I have only known to do this in raster like godder mentioned. Either by using the dissolve blending mode or with the noise slider in the effects menu.
                            once you convert that into a Spot Channel in the PSD, you should be able to place it into illustrator (of course you can't put it on top of other art, you would have to keep that plate/separation off to the side)

I believe this can also be done in the RIP process at some printers with a very corse line screen using Frequency Modulated Screening, essentially converting a regular vignette into random dots.
                            www.standercreative.com

Comment

Originally posted by Eraser Nubbin View Post
                              This may be a bit of a hack work around, but if you want to keep the thing as a vector you could fool around with making a custom scatter brush made of dots and then apply it to a duplicate of your text, underneath the original text.
                              Yeah, I think this is the best way for a roughish vector shadow. To make a regular "blurred/soft-edged" shadow as a vector, you simply use a black/white color blend as an opacity mask for a black or darker colored shape.

Both Filter drop shadows and Effect drop shadows are raster. The difference is that filter rasterizes immediately as soon you create it in the Illy file, while Effect remains scalable until you actually output the file into something else (PDF, EPS, etc.). Neither will create vector output - the Effect version simply remakes the effect every time you change or move it in Illy (try moving a 3D object and you'll see exactly how that works ).
                              Last edited by Ned; 04-24-2009, 05:57 PM.
                              Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
                              mediamainline.com
                              cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X