Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Powerbook crash (kernel panic! whatever that is!) when starting classic with ATM extension on Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
Search Search Module
Collapse

Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powerbook crash (kernel panic! whatever that is!) when starting classic with ATM extension on

Hi, I'm about to be killed by my girlfriend because I was using her beloved powerbook when it crashed! I have managed to get it to start in classic with extensions off. Slowly started putting them back on and have isolated ATM as the problem one. I have removed ATM deluxe and replaced it with ATM light as I didnt have deluxe on disc, however it still crashes! what could cause this? it just totally dies with text all over the screen. I'm growing weak with the thought of my impending slow and painful death! somebody please help!

Oh man that sounds rough. I would reintall the OS. I'm having my first major OSX problem as we speak. I'm nervous!

Comment

You know that ATM is the problem for sure? It's conflicting with something and you have to find out what. What exactly were you doing at the time of the crash? It sucks but you kinda gotta retrace to get the problem solved. If it's STILL crashing then ATM may not be your only issue. Do you have any utilities to run on the puter other than that crappy one that comes with the Mac? Like Norton or anything else? If you do..boot from that CD and run your disk doctor or whatever. If you don't, then boot from your OS CD...and run the utilities that come with it.

So again..what were you doing at the time this happened? What were you typing? What font were you using? Sounds stupid but it could be as easy as a corrupt font. For a long time whenever I would try to use Helvetica Black my system would just freak out...Sounds to me like it's a font issue...

Don't freak out...we can help...LOL ;o)

I blog, you blog, we all blog!

Comment

Whats yer OSX prob Benjo???

Comment

I don't know everything seems to be crashing. I'm trying to fix some fonts up hopefully this will clear everything out.

I was using ID yesterday and it seems all hell broke loose after that. It kept crashing when I would go to the file drop down menu. Then I deleted all the preferanced I mean all of them. So now I have to kind of rebuild my system. Once I finish this font mess I'll look into ID again and see if it still crashes it if does !@#@!!

Comment

Thanks for the quick response, Its true that it could be font related, i had just downloaded a font from

http://www.larabiefonts.com/fonts/z.html

called zero threes

Comment

Pull that font out...trash it..save it to a disk in case that's NOT the problem...whatever..and then try again.

Where you using that font when the system crashed??

Benjo...bloody fonts! GRRR ;o) Good luck!

Comment

Make sure you have the lates security updates!
                whenever you have a Kernel Panic, try turning off the computer, then turn back on while holding Comand+S to enter 'single-user-mode' then type 'fsck' to dump the cache from the previous crash... then type 'reboot' to reboot or 'shutdown -hn now' to shutdown the computer..
                also you may wanna look into getting DISK WARRIOR!!!!! the mac os x HD saviour!!

here is a good site to help prevent those little hickups.... http://www.macattorney.com/tutorial.html and also www.macfixit.com

www.standercreative.com

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                Working...
                X