Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Find, Replace... help?

InDesign CS3
    Really I need to Find and Delete but I can't seem to work that out. I can find and have used all sorts of replacements but now I have imported some data from the city and I need to remove their extraneous titles on each line. yikes.
    Primary Owner 1: Mary Smith
    I need to take out the words "Primary Owner 1: " and the space after it. There are titles on each line throughout the copy, and 5 empty spaces between the State and the Zip Code I need to delete as well.

Any ideas how to delete words with Find? Or is there another way?
    looked all through the options, but maybe I am missing something?

I can change the mutli space to one space. But still can't find how to delete those words.

Comment

To find and delete the titles, (assuming they all end with colon-space), go to the GREP tab of the Find/Replace dialog.

In the Find what: field, type: ^.+\:\s (that's caret - period - plus - backslash - colon - backslash - s)

^ = beginning of paragraph
      . = any character, + = one or more times
      \: = colon
      \s = any whitespace

Leave the Change to: field blank, and click Replace All.
      Last edited by HotButton; 06-27-2014, 09:21 AM.
      I'd rather be killed than come to your party, but if you don't invite me, I'll kill myself.

Comment

• HotButton
        HotButton commented
        Editing a comment
        Note that if all the titles are the same, you could use a simple text Find/Replace. Just Find what you need deleted; "Primary Owner 1: " (without the quotes) and leave Change to: blank. (Leaving the Change to: field blank is that elusive delete method you seek.)

That's about as good as you'll get!

And yeah, leaving the "change to" field blank is your delete "button."
      This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
      "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Find and replace with nothing aka find and delete
        Design is not decoration.

Comment

Hmm I tried that, the titles are all the same. I kept getting "Cannot find matching field" if I kept the field empty. So I thought I had to put in something in the change to field. But today it works. I was probably too stressed last night getting this done. Or maybe I was in the wrong tool? Works today, thank you!

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
          Working...
          X