Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mistakenly used illustrator to create a 24 page brochure with 1 art board per page...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mistakenly used illustrator to create a 24 page brochure with 1 art board per page...

Hello GDF people!

As the title says, I created a 24 page brochure in Illustrator as opposed to InDesign (what I should have made in).

I mistakenly assumed that my in-house print center would have some type of application that would take my 8.5" by 17" art boards and cut every page in half to make an 8.5" by 8.5" brochure and print in the correct order. They told me I was completely wrong and such program has never existed and would never be created (apparently they can see into the future).

I find it hard to believe something like this doesn't exist, so after extensive googling I turn to you here at the Graphic Design Forum.

I know that I could go through and manually split it all up in illustrator, just curious if anyone knows a shortcut to what i'm trying to accomplish.

Thank you!

Hi Tkayy and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

So, I'll just beat the dead horse here once. In the future, if you're doing multi-page layouts I'd stick to InDesign. Yes, Illustrator can do multi-page, but for the most part, I wouldn't.

So, it sounds like your final trim size is a square, 8 1/2" by 8 1/2" page.

If so, the "easy" route is to place your Illustrator file into Indesign and essentially crop it to each page. However, make sure to add bleeds.

N.A.N.K.A. "We Kick Because We Care."

Comment

I suppose you could also try placing the illustrator files in Indesign as Spreads...

You might try splitting your artboards in Illustrator, but you will run into all sorts of bleed issues...not recommended.
        Illustrator is not made for multipage, imposed printing. There is no plug-in available to fix that mess.

Comment

Ugh, yeah, at this point just do what Craig and PD said and next time do it in InDesign.

I mistakenly assumed that my in-house print center would have some type of application that would take my 8.5" by 17" art boards and cut every page in half to make an 8.5" by 8.5" brochure and print in the correct order.
          Yeah, there's an app that does that. It's call InDesign.

Comment

Originally posted by Tkayy View Post
            I mistakenly assumed that my in-house print center would have some type of application that would take my 8.5" by 17" art boards and cut every page in half to make an 8.5" by 8.5" brochure and print in the correct order. They told me I was completely wrong and such program has never existed and would never be created (apparently they can see into the future).
            One not need to be a prophet to make their claim

I find it hard to believe something like this doesn't exist, so after extensive googling I turn to you here at the Graphic Design Forum.
            It shouldn't be all that hard to believe if you think about it.

I know that I could go through and manually split it all up in illustrator, just curious if anyone knows a shortcut to what i'm trying to accomplish.
            Why not just do it in InDesign?
            Keep Saturn in Saturnalia.

Comment

I can very easily see someone writing a script or making a program to do it. And charging good money for it.
              Because no one teaches designers not to make such an egregious error in layout and printers like to keep their hair.

But I'd surely love to charge 1 hour of system time (that's approx $150) for every page in the file on which I'd have to use it.

Even with InDesign I sometimes get multipage files with different page sizes incorporated in the same document. Looks great on your monitor, but you can't process it for output that way.
              They do make a tool to explode Indesign files into separate pages though.

Comment

• PrintDriver
                PrintDriver commented
                Editing a comment
                yeah, ''folds'' that's what we use it for too. Sort of....

• PrintDriver
                PrintDriver commented
                Editing a comment
                Right.
                Too bad there isn't someplace a designer can learn the difference between an ePub and a printed document....

• Carlo
                Carlo commented
                Editing a comment
                Indeed, technical knowledge is sometimes obsolete with some designers. Even Adobe has a bad history in their tutorials. Eighty percent of the times they start in a RGB workspace for a brochure that has to be printed.

Both Adobe and Lynda have had their production gaff moments.
              For instance, this one: https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/...go-design.html
              Last edited by PrintDriver; 03-11-2017, 08:25 PM.

Comment

If these are printers pairs (pg24+1, pg2+23 etc.) there is no problem, so I assume they are readers pairs (pg 1+2, pg 3+4 etc.)

I have had things like this and generally the only thing to do with them is to make a copy of each spread, crop to left hand / right hand page and impose manually in InDesign. It's a fiddly and time consuming procedure especially if bleed is involved.

BTW this really is one of those mistakes that you learn from. It is the sort of thing you only do once.
                Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

Comment

If you have bleed, you could make PDFs of the pages, then crop a copy of the file to the left-hand side, including bleed. Crop another copy to the right-hand side. Merge the pages and delete what you don't need. This takes time, too, but if you're unsure of your bleed placement, it might be a little more foolproof.
                  No cell phone, no Facebook, no iAnything. Am I missing something?

Comment

The whole point of the matter is the tremendous waste of billable time...

Actually, I'm still trying to figure out what kind of ''brochure'' is 24 pages long. Other than maybe a financial prospectus...if that brochure is meant to sell something, it's about 20 pages too long. I'm sure an ROI study has been done?
                    Last edited by PrintDriver; 03-14-2017, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
                      I'm still trying to figure out what kind of ''brochure'' is 24 pages long. Other than maybe a financial prospectus...if that brochure is meant to sell something, it's about 20 pages too long.
                      It's really just all semantics, and different companies end up with different terms for their pieces. When I ran Marketing Communications for a global manufacturer, our terminology was adjusted on an ongoing basis. But it's important, internally, that everyone speaks the same language so standardizing to some degree is always a goal.
                      • The so-called "tri-fold brochure" (which has only 2 folds, mind you) in our parlance, became a 6-panel pamphlet
                      • A single sheet of product information containing lists: Standard Features, Optional Features, Accessories, and a table of Specifications, with a grayscale photo on the front and a dimensioned, 3-angle drawing on the back, was a spec sheet. (Some in our Field adhered to 'cutsheet'.)
                      • A Spec Sheet done in color, dressed up with product-line themed graphical adornments and stylized technical information was a sell sheet.
                      • Every other paper-based, handheld color piece of product information with 4 or more pages was a brochure. Many individual product brochures did have 4 pages, but there were also full product line reference booklets with 40 or more.
                      Interestingly, we'd survey our sales reps and their dealers every 6 months to keep tabs on how they used our printed materials, and what they'd change about them. Over the years the number of times they flip-flopped between "too much info; just give us the bullet points" and "too many questions unanswered; for this product we need a bible" was truly comical. So you can go ahead and apply a philosophy you think is right, but it will be wrong soon enough.
                      Last edited by HotButton; 03-14-2017, 10:57 AM.
                      I'd rather be killed than come to your party, but if you don't invite me, I'll kill myself.

Comment

That's pretty funny HB. Our company pretty much uses the same terminology yours does, except for tri-fold, which is a mailer. Brochure isn't really part of our lexicon. Pretty much the next step up from ''mailer'' is ''capability package,'' and that is as long as it needs to be to fill the requirements of any particular bid prospectus. Defintely 20+ pages, but I'd hardly call it a brochure.
                        What's the difference between a brochure and a catalog anyway? I'm guessing single product vs many?
                        At what point does a multipage single-product brochure become an ''owners manual?''

Comment

• HotButton
                          HotButton commented
                          Editing a comment
                          ''Capability Package'' sounds like you're selling services, as opposed to the durable goods that would typically be ''brochure'' material.

The difference between a brochure and a catalog:
                          Brochure is everything needed to sell; catalog is everything needed to buy.

Bad idea bringing up ''owner's manual'' in an exchange with me, as my current primary focus is customer-facing technical materials, to include such items. It's still the manufacture of durable goods (think 'appliances'), so installation instructions are a big part of it. Add operation, troubleshooting, and maintenance instructions, and you've got yourself an owner's manual. Aside from pre-sale specification documents and product safety labeling, that's pretty much what I do; owner's manuals. Everyone hates the instructions that come with products they buy, but doing it well, with user-benefit the main objective, in compliance with ''Standards,'' and accounting for all the technical details, possible liabilities, etc., is a rather specialized practice from which most artistic people would run screaming. Fortunately, I'm a devout gadget geek with a fascination for engineering and manufacturing. I've come to love it much more than the bullshit-laced, creating-drama-where-there-is-none world of Marketing.

I kinda sorta put that there for your benefit.

The other questions were rhetorical on my part but your answer(s) will benefit others.

I'm bored. It's snowing like a crazy thing here and I didn't bring enough work home with me to not call it a snow day.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Breanne.C
                          Helloooooo!
                          Breanne.C
                          Hey everyone! My name is Breanne. I didn't realize there was an introduction spot until after I tried making my first post to identify a font. Ooopsie!

I'm from the Seattle area, a freelance...
                          Yesterday, 05:31 PM
                        • Breanne.C
                          Font ID Please
                          Breanne.C
                          Hey folks! I need help identifying the font in this logo, just the text "Fire Medic." Can anyone help ID it?

Yesterday, 03:56 PM
                        • chikisg84
                          Comment on Need feedback on best way to start redesigning my portfiolio website
                          chikisg84
                          Thank you so much for your input. What you said about Joomla templates basically dictating the look and feel of the site is basically the reason I've held so long to my current site. I have not found...
                          Yesterday, 03:32 PM
                        • Biggs097
                          Reply to Price of Foil vs. Varnish for business cards?
                          Biggs097
                          Keep in mind the cost of the tooling the dye is a one time cost. The next lot of cards wont include the tooling cost.
                          StudioMonkey is also correct of the cost vs. your volume. 100 cards may run...
                          Yesterday, 02:42 PM
                        • B
                          Reply to Need feedback on best way to start redesigning my portfiolio website
                          B
                          Joomla is my CMS of choice. For that matter, I'm working on some template modifications for a Joomla site this morning.

For a small personal site, Joomla might be overkill. It's certainly...
                          Yesterday, 02:11 PM
                        GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                        Working...
                        X