Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putting a stripe on a curved road with perspective in Illy CS6

Hey GDF'ers!!
    It's been forever but I know I can always count on help from within.
    I have a project - a folding carton package design - that has a curvy road that goes off into the distant. I need to put a center line down the existing road art and I'm not really versed on Perspective and mesh and that stuff. Is there a good tutorial or good advice from anyone about how to accomplish this feat?
    Thanks to all - good to see some familiar old faces amongst the many new.
    People tell me "Have a Good One!' Hell, I already have a good one, I just need a BIGGER one! - George Carlin

Hey Rick! How's things going?

I would copy one of the outside lines of the existing road, move it to the middle of the road and then modify it.

Comment

Hey Kool!
      I tried copying one edge line but the perspective of the line getting thinner as it trails toward the back is what's getting me.. I'll try to attach a file of what I am dealing with.
      People tell me "Have a Good One!' Hell, I already have a good one, I just need a BIGGER one! - George Carlin

Comment

Here is the file that is giving me grief
        Attached Files

Comment

Here's what I got when I tried it this way:
          • Copy the 2 outer paths, paste in front...
          • Leave selected; make a one-step blend to get the center line
          • Expand the blend; delete the two outer paths
          • Assign a color of choice and weight...I bumped it up to 16-some points
          • Use the Width tool to pinch down the far end and widen the near end (could use more width tuning to get the curve exaggerated look of the road)
          Road needs stripe-1a.pdf
          Attached Files
          Last edited by HotButton; 04-03-2017, 12:26 PM.
          I'd rather be killed than come to your party, but if you don't invite me, I'll kill myself.

Comment

SWEET!
            That's a pretty slick way to get a center line. I'll mess around with that idea.
            Thank you!

Comment

I would try drawing the road flat, as if looking at it on a map, add the center line, group it and use the perspective tool to snap it to the X plane.
              Design is not decoration.

Comment

• HotButton
                HotButton commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah, I agree that would surely be the correct approach if starting from nothing. But since Rick referred to it as ''existing road art'' I figured I'd have a go in that context.

I'd really like to play around with perspectives - part of Illy I have yet to explore.

Comment

Originally posted by HotButton View Post
                [*]Use the Width tool to pinch down the far end and widen the near end (could use more width tuning to get the curve exaggerated look of the road)
                I'm not familiar with the Width tool. I was able to recreate what you had down to the last item - the Width tool.

Comment

Here's a so-quick-it's-almost-pointless demo.
                  http://www.creativebloq.com/illustra...-tool-81412630
                  I'd rather be killed than come to your party, but if you don't invite me, I'll kill myself.

Comment

Originally posted by HotButton View Post
                    Here's a so-quick-it's-almost-pointless demo.
                    http://www.creativebloq.com/illustra...-tool-81412630
                    Well, crap the bed! 30 years in prepres and I never had to use the width tool. Of course, I've only been on an Intel machine for a year and this probably wasn't in the older PPC Illy.

Comment

Hiya Rick!!!

Comment

It's a new tool Rick. Came in within the last 2 or 3 upgrades. One of my new favorites, along with the Blob tool.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Kittie Kat View Post
                          Hiya Rick!!!
                          There's a pretty face I haven't seen in years! How YOU doin, Red?
                          We're still chasing ghosts and helping 'em to the other side. Seems to be an endless supply!

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
                            It's a new tool Rick. Came in within the last 2 or 3 upgrades. One of my new favorites, along with the Blob tool.
                            Hey PD!
                            It's like a whole nother world with a MacPro that works with the latest software!

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                            Working...
                            X