Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problems with ruler guides when zoomed in (Adobe Illustrator)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with ruler guides when zoomed in (Adobe Illustrator)

Hello, I have a problem with the ruler guides in illustrator, in that I am unable to select/move the rulers into position when zoomed in over 600%.

Elements which appear to be aligned at 600% are clearly not aligned at 1200% or 2400%.

I have googled this problem and have yet to come up with a solution.

I would appreciate any help with this, please.

Edited to add: I am using CC 2017 version of illustrator.

Last edited by Glitchin; 05-05-2017, 08:11 AM.

IMHO When accuracy is essential it's best to use the transform palette instead of eyeballing with ruler guides.
    Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

Comment

^ What he said.
      For accuracy, use the transform palette.

That said,
      have you checked what your snap tolerance preference is? It's under Smart Guides in preferences.
      I still don't recommend it if you are trusting it for butting elements not to have a gap. Especially if scaling on output.
      I do a lot of 1:10 work. If you miss by 4 points at 1:10, you have a 40pt gap at full scale. That's a whole 1/2'' !!!
      Last edited by PrintDriver; 05-05-2017, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

I have a rather complicated icon/graphic with multiple sides. This icon has been multiplied numerous times and positioned at different angles on the page. All sides of the icon must align precisely with the icon below, above, and either side of it.

I have aligned everything and it looks fine at 100% and even larger, but when I zoom right in it appears to not be perfect. TBF I'm starting to wonder if the original graphic is perfect, and I may need to rebuild it from scratch.

That said, do you think the transform tool is what I need to complete the sort of job I have described above?

Comment

Hi Printdrive, yes I have checked snap tolerance preferences already. Tried snap to point, and snap to pixel.

Comment

Originally posted by Glitchin View Post
            do you think the transform tool is what I need to complete the sort of job I have described above?
            Yes, in fact given your description, the transform palette is the best way to determine accurate measurements, x,y co-ordinates and thus, alignment.
            Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

Comment

Thanks, PanToshi,

I only usually use transform to rotate, reflect, and scale stuff. I'm struggling to see how it could be used to do what I need it to do, but that's probably just my lack of knowledge lol.

Comment

• KitchWitch
                KitchWitch commented
                Editing a comment
                Use the transform palette, not transform from the pull-down menu.

• Glitchin
                Glitchin commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks KitchWitch, looking at that now. Not figured it out yet though.

Thanks for the replies.

I have a rather complicated icon/graphic with multiple sides. This icon has been multiplied numerous times and positioned at different angles on the page. All sides of the icon must align precisely with the icon below, above, and either side of it.

I have aligned everything and it looks fine at 100% and even larger, but when I zoom right in it appears to not be perfect. TBF I'm starting to wonder if the original graphic is perfect, and I may need to rebuild it from scratch.

That said, do you think the transform tool is what I need to complete the sort of job I have described above?

Based on this comment, it sounds more like you need to use the align palette. Once you select items to align, if you click on one of those items, the others will align directly to it. You can even use the align palette to define specific distance gaps if need be.

N.A.N.K.A. "We Kick Because We Care."

Comment

Align panel and Transform panel can both be useful to an extent, but it can get tricky if you're dealing with shapes made of segments that are not horizontal or vertical, and you need to butt them along their various diagonal sides, like pentagons on a soccer ball, or worse if they're irregular. I get the impression you have have that type of situation here:

If you can post a screen shot to make it clearer what you have and what you need, maybe someone can offer better advice.
                I'd rather be killed than come to your party, but if you don't invite me, I'll kill myself.

Comment

Yeah you got it HotButton! I'm not sure how I'm going to get it to work, but get it to work I will. 12 hours I've been at this now and hardly stopped in that time lol

I have managed to get it better than the original version they sent me. It's a lot closer. I'm going to rebuild the main graphic in the morning and start fresh. Not sure I'll be able to post a screenshot as I don't know if the client would approve, however, I will mock something up that should help give people a better idea of what I'm up against.

I really appreciate all the replies guys.

Cheers, Glitch.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                  Working...
                  X