No announcement yet.

Knockout same fill color in a design ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knockout same fill color in a design ?

Hello,
    I am trying to simplify a logo to get it screened onto something. It is a 2 color (black and white) design, and I am looking to knockout the white, keeping the black.

I have tried using the pathfinder tool but none of the options work. The shape builder tool is the only thing I have found.. but it takes FOREVER! There has to be a quicker and more efficient way to knockout the white creating a hole.

If anyone knows anything that could help, please pass it along!!

Here is an example of one of the files I need to simplify

Click image for larger version

Name:	rockyview_fireservices.png
Views:	1
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	21225

thanks in advance

Hi Kaitlyn and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

First, If this is an illustrator file and you are creating a screen for silkscreening this file doesn't need to be knocked out. They would expose the screen using the black and white as is. Unless for some reason you are creating a die cut mask. Why make more work for yourself. Ask the screener.

Assuming the file is vector,
      To do it as an exercise in hair tearing, you should do this in Illustrator.

It really depends on how that white is built into the file. I'm seeing some questionable things in the wing on the Rocky side.
      You need to convert all text to outlines.
      You need to convert all stroked paths to shapes (Object>path>outline stroke)
      You need to Unite any pieces of white where it overlaps.
      What you should do is start with a united black background shape then use Pathfinder to Minus front the white shapes. You might have to do single pieces or you can take a chance and select all the white shapes and make them a compound path before minusing front.

My experience with logos that look like this has been that there are often black shapes on top of the white that you may also have to knock through, so don't be surprised if you knock through a white shape and your text vanishes. Just look at the file in outline view, re-select the text, bring it to the front and knock it through again.

If it's a photoshop file.... welllllll.....

Comment

Actually, on closer inspection, I bet this thing is a mess in outline view. Post a screenshot so I can see what you are up against.

Comment

Thank you for responding!
          Our screeners say they need a more "simple" file, the file has too many layers in in I guess.

SO I have a vector file, and have outlined all strokes, my problem is that the white and black layers are all mixed so pathfinder cannot "minus front" or anything. I have been combining the black with the shape builder tool - "simplifying it" and knocking out the white. But before I delete the white I have to shape build them to be one shape.

I hope I explained that properly... I have added some screenshots so you can see before/after.

I just need a quicker way as this took me LITERALLY all day!!

Comment

It does sound like you're in for a lot of work. I'd put a different color background on a layer behind all of it, like orange, blue, whatever, that way you can see when our white areas are truly "transparent". Then start at bottom (as PD said) and work your way up. So, start with the four prong background. Take the four inset lines and knock them out of the back with minus front. If tit is a stroke, you'll need to outline the stroke first. Then take the outermost part of the central circle and add that to the newly updated background using pathfinder, etc.

N.A.N.K.A. "We Kick Because We Care."

Comment

If you have black shapes with white outlines, that could be a problem if not dealt with properly. If you expand a black shape with a white outline, the black fill shape will be half under the white line. Judging from the left side issues, there are probably a lot of black shapes in this that have to be knocked through white shapes under them. This type of thing makes me wish designers had to get licenses to practice.

I've never used shape builder. Always the pathfinder.

That logo, no matter how messed up should only take about 20 minutes...but I been doing this nearly 20 years too. LOL.

I also do silkscreen file prep and could literally make a film from this logo without doing anything to it. If that art prints black on white paper, it's fine (though there are a few things I'd call you about first.) With a film positive used for silkscreen, you are only making a digital print, just on clear film instead of paper. Anything in the image you see as white would be clear, anything black would be black. The print machine doesn't care if there are 2 or 200 layers. The film sure as heck doesn't care. Not exactly sure why your print vendor does. If you are knife cutting a sandblast mask or sign vinyl, then it matters. Logos like this are why we have a set-up charge.
              Last edited by PrintDriver; 06-28-2017, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaitlyn View Post
                Our screeners say they need a more "simple" file, the file has too many layers in in I guess.
                If this is really just for silkscreen, then as PrintDriver alluded, they're mistaken. No matter how many layers or objects are involved, black is black, and white is nothing.
                I'd rather be killed than come to your party, but if you don't invite me, I'll kill myself.

Comment

By simpler, they may mean less tiny detail. Some of those line weights are pushing the break-up limit of the mesh if you go too much smaller than what I see on my screen.

What are you silkscreening and how small will this logo be going?

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                  Working...
                  X