Losing Transparency When Vectorizing >.<

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Losing Transparency When Vectorizing >.<

I've been commisioned for a Twitch emote badge, and naturally it needs a transparent background. I'm working between Photoshop and Illustrator. In Photoshop, my PSD has a transparent background. When I open it in Illustrator, it still has its transparent background. However after I vectorize it, it now places a white background. How do I keep my transparency when vectorizing my image?

The vector art in illustrator will appear on a white background. The background is ''transparent'' to all processes that use vector art. For instance if you place the vectorized logo as a smart object into photoshop, there is no white background. If you place it into InDesign, there is no background.
    However, if you are exporting from illustrator to some form of raster file, you will get a white background, unless perhaps you use .png or .svg.
    Depends on your purpose.

Comment

Thank you so much for your reply! So if I resize these to emote sizes, and save them as PNG, when they upload them to Twitch will they be on a transparent background?

Comment

Since I can't save as PNG in Illustrator, how do I bring the vectorized image down to the 3 sizes they need to submit as Twitch emotes? The need it 28x28, 56x56, ans 112x112. I have the image made and everything, and I'm lost as to where to go next after vectorizing. I just need to make it available in those 3 sizes, saved as PNG for them with transparent backgrounds.

Comment

According to this you don't need vector. The sizes you list are pixel dimensions, not vector.
          https://www.reddit.com/r/Twitch/comm...pe_for_emotes/
          To get a specific size, you want to start with the largest then go smaller.
          If you want to export a png out of Illustrator, you have to Export > Save for web.

Comment

Re-examine your logic a bit; you're designing a raster image in Photoshop, a raster image editing app, then for some reason subjecting it to Illustrator's awful Image Trace feature in converting it to a vector graphic, only to ultimately export it back to a raster format. Why are you including Illustrator in this workflow at all?

Just export to PNG right from Photoshop, which does that far better than Illustrator anyway.
            Last edited by HotButton; 07-05-2017, 07:53 AM.
            I'd rather be killed than come to your party, but if you don't invite me, I'll kill myself.

Comment

Hi Jennory and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
              Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

HB, I didn't assume the OP had vectorized using the dreaded Live Trace.
                I just assumed they did not know what their output intent was. Either PNG or SVG.
                I have no idea what Twitch is, but the specs say .png at 3 sizes based on pixels. The smallest, at 28 x 28 pixels, it ain't gonna matter what the vector art looks like anyway. LOL.

Comment

• HotButton
                  HotButton commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Heh, in my experience most people who'll engage in ''vectorizing,'' and use that term to describe the process, are clicking the Image Trace button. When I think of all the useful features Illustrator COULD have, and all the development resources that have been wasted on auto-trace, I wish I could wack Adobe on the nose with a giant rolled up newspaper.

• PrintDriver
                  PrintDriver commented
                  Editing a comment
                  A Gibb's Slap is more my style...

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• HotButton
                Comment on Flyer Crtitique
                HotButton
                It's just what I call it when people use an expression that actually says or means the opposite of what is intended; ''could care less'' would be another prime example.
                Yesterday, 11:44 PM
              • B
                Reply to Flyer Crtitique
                B
                That makes sense, I guess. Off is the inverse of on, which makes based off the inverse of based on. Got it. ...
                Yesterday, 08:50 PM
              • B
                Reply to Flyer Crtitique
                B
                Okay, I know what a colloquialism is, but what is an inverse colloquialism?

Probrien, in addition to HotButton's comments, which I agree with, the ad is a bit confusing. Maybe it's lacking...
                Yesterday, 08:48 PM
              • PrintDriver
                Reply to Flyer Crtitique
                PrintDriver
                ''Based off'' is inverse of ''based on.'' ''Based on'' is a colloquialism.
                I think.
                I have not had enough to drink to play this game.

o O
                Yesterday, 08:27 PM
              • pobrien
                Reply to Flyer Crtitique
                pobrien
                Thanks for the feedback. That all makes a lot of sense. I'll take these points and re-work things....
                Yesterday, 04:06 PM
              GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
              Working...
              X