Don't know how to work precise in Ilustrator

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't know how to work precise in Ilustrator

Hi! I am learning graphic design everyday and I really need to know how to work precise in Ilustrator.
    Ex: I want to measure objects and parts of objects exactly, I want to know the angles of segments and in general I want to make precise objects.
    This was a challenge for me for some time now and in order to create high quality design I really need to learn to work very precise.
    Advices would be highly appreciated! Thanks allot!

Illustrator is not well suited for precision. You can and should be using the measurement palette when placing objects and the align palette also is very helpful if you open the options (a lot of people ignore the options.)

If you want to make Illustrator more like a CAD program where you can actually measure line segments and angles, I highly recommend you purchase the CADTools plug-in from Hot Door. I can't live without that tool.

However, if you need real precision, you might want to explore using something like Vectorworks ($$) or AutoCAD ($$$$) instead.

Comment

Hi Sebastian and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
      Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

I think you want to know about width and height boxes in Ai. Use it to measure objects and parts of objects exactly. You can find it in the upper right corner of the interface of Ai. Or go to the Windows>Transform in Ai. You just select your objects and use it, properly.

Comment

illustrator can also snap to guides and points, but as you experienced, its a bit slippery when zoomed out, it doesnt snap so easily,

Comment

The width and height boxes don't work on objects that have been rotated or skewed. It doesn't tell you line length. It doesn't tell you precise corner angles. It doesn't tell you the radius of a rounded corner (though the round corner widget can be helpful there if it was used to create the rounded corner.) It doesn't tell you the arc length. It doesn't tell you the chord length.

I wrangle client files all the time, usually in a pre-flight for doing something dimensionally. Files that I did not create. Files that usually have some sort of novel way of creating the art they contain. I use CADTools to get all that information above and then some. I also use it to draw quick dimensioned drawings to send to clients for verification and approval because it will add a dimension layer and snap in the measurements with a simple click or two without having to do the export/import dance with AutoCAD.

It's not for everyone and at almost $400 a lot of people have to really see and appreciate the need for it. But it works. The interface is a little clunky, but once adjusted for the project, works absolutely seamlessly.

Comment

Here's a screenshot of a shape with CADTools notes applied. You can see the transform width and height in the top bar. Big difference in the amount of info you get there.

Click image for larger version

Name:	dimmed-shape.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	21268

Comment

Originally posted by servicesp12 View Post
                illustrator can also snap to guides and points, but as you experienced, its a bit slippery when zoomed out, it doesnt snap so easily,

Hi Servicesp12 and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
                Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Here's another interesting tidbit.
                  When working in scale to print something really large (like a billboard or banner)
                  if you are working in a 1" = 1' scale, and you miss a snap by .06", you will be multiplying that error 12x on output. That'll be a 3/4" gap in your design, which may be noticeable, or not, depending on viewing distance. Always use your measurement palette when working in scale.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                  Working...
                  X