Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I automate large batches of unique images to be generated?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I automate large batches of unique images to be generated?

Im a designer for a small(ish) business and in addition to generating posters, stickers, and just about anything else my boss can think of, I also create the product previews for those listings. I work primarily in Illustrator and Photoshop.

Recently it was decided that we needed to generate additional previews of over five hundred existing posters. I am currently using four smart objects and two templates Ive heavily modified to save jpeg previews of posters in both landscape and portrait, then manually saving and labeling them (making it a workflow of about 2 minutes per poster). Soon I will be starting in on over two thousand other products. It occurred to me that there must be some way of automating larger chunks of the workload freeing me up to focus more on generating new products.So far there is no way Ive found to grab large batches of unique images, quickly process and save them in bulk without making an obscene number of layers that at least require a drag and drop & keystroke each to position and scale, not to mention the strain on the program and my computer.

Optimally, Id Like to find some program or script that can consecutively:

A: Detect the difference between landscape and portrait.
    B: Apply a preset & editable Frame overlay and background that is appropriate for the orientation.
    C: Scale the original images to fit within that frame and in front of the background.
    D: Save using an editable labeling system that gives each final image a unique name within a modifiable system (ex. ABC0005-ABC0299)

Basically: chain all the functions already available and automatically replicate the process.

I'm not trying to complain about a solid eighteen hours of work but as the business grows it seems important to learn better ways of doing large scale image generation or at least look into paying a programmer to build a tool that can do it for me. Im both fortunate and unfortunate to be learning production design from scratch and without any more experienced designers working with me. I sincerely appreciate any advice you have!

Hi Phillip and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Originally posted by PhillipZ View Post
      I’m a designer for a small(ish) business and in addition to generating posters, stickers, and just about anything else my boss can think of, I also create the product previews for those listings. I work primarily in Illustrator and Photoshop.

Recently it was decided that we needed to generate additional previews of over five hundred existing posters. I am currently using four smart objects and two templates I’ve heavily modified to save jpeg previews of posters in both landscape and portrait, then manually saving and labeling them (making it a workflow of about 2 minutes per poster). Soon I will be starting in on over two thousand other products. It occurred to me that there must be some way of automating larger chunks of the workload freeing me up to focus more on generating new products.So far there is no way I’ve found to grab large batches of unique images, quickly process and save them in bulk without making an obscene number of layers that at least require a drag and drop & keystroke each to position and scale, not to mention the strain on the program and my computer.

Optimally, I’d Like to find some program or script that can consecutively:

A: Detect the difference between landscape and portrait.
      B: Apply a preset & editable “Frame” overlay and background that is appropriate for the orientation.
      C: Scale the original images to fit within that frame and in front of the background.
      D: Save using an editable labeling system that gives each final image a unique name within a modifiable system (ex. ABC0005-ABC0299)

Basically: chain all the functions already available and automatically replicate the process.

I'm not trying to complain about a solid eighteen hours of work but as the business grows it seems important to learn better ways of doing large scale image generation or at least look into paying a programmer to build a tool that can do it for me. I’m both fortunate and unfortunate to be learning production design from scratch and without any more experienced designers working with me. I sincerely appreciate any advice you have!
      PC or Mac?

I ask because if you are on Mac you can look in to Applescript and Automator.

We use an Applescript I ripped off that leverages GraphicConverter (a image editing app that can batch process and be scripted). I created a batch process that opens jpgs, converts the color space, sizes them, saves out a TIF to an entirely different folder while adding to the filename and then deletes the original file in the original location.

I then use an Applescript to watch a folder for new files. When it triggers that Applescript calls the batch file in GraphicConverter.

What you're looking for seems to be a couple of pieces that need to fit together for the whole. I would see what you could find for each piece and then see if you can put it all together in one script.

If you're on Windows, I've seen software out there that uses javascript to do a few things but that was several years ago. I have no idea what may be out there now.
      Erik Youngren Pueblo Publishers, Composing Manager
      2.8Ghz Quad Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro | InDesign CS4 | Suitcase Fusion 5

Comment

What is your end purpose for the images?

Comment

GraphicConverter is my most favorite can-opener. Well worth the almost $40.

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
            Me or the OP?
            Erik Youngren Pueblo Publishers, Composing Manager
            2.8Ghz Quad Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro | InDesign CS4 | Suitcase Fusion 5

Comment

Originally posted by eyoungren View Post

PC or Mac?
              PC.

Comment

I'm not exactly sure what you mean. I'm basically contracted to create the images used on websites to preview the products i'm designing, sites like Amazon and Etsy.

here are 2 examples if that helps :/
                Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-1 xx.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	21338Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-2xx.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.70 MB
ID:	21339

GraphicConverter is my most favorite can-opener. Well worth the almost $40.
                Thank you! I will look into it!

Comment

Originally posted by eyoungren View Post

PC or Mac?

I ask because if you are on Mac you can look in to Applescript and Automator.

We use an Applescript I ripped off that leverages GraphicConverter (a image editing app that can batch process and be scripted). I created a batch process that opens jpgs, converts the color space, sizes them, saves out a TIF to an entirely different folder while adding to the filename and then deletes the original file in the original location.

I then use an Applescript to watch a folder for new files. When it triggers that Applescript calls the batch file in GraphicConverter.

What you're looking for seems to be a couple of pieces that need to fit together for the whole. I would see what you could find for each piece and then see if you can put it all together in one script.

If you're on Windows, I've seen software out there that uses javascript to do a few things but that was several years ago. I have no idea what may be out there now.
                  I'm using a PC but I think your right on the money. I'll look into scripting. Thank you!

Comment

I'm not sure exactly what you mean but I am making previews to be uploaded to several online retailers. I tried to respond with small examples of my work and some specific retailers but that response showed up "unapproved" then disappeared so just in case I missed something in the forum rules I'm being cautiously vague.

Also, Thank you for the tip on GraphicConverter. I should have noted that I'm using a PC in the op but several of the features are almost exactly what I need so Its a great springboard to better find what I need!

Comment

OP.

Comment

Sorry about the double postings... I wasn't patient enough.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                        Working...
                        X