Help with illustrator shape - beginner

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with illustrator shape - beginner

Guys I'mvery new to illustrator and im trying to recreate the image attached. Im ok with doing the rectangle, with the curved top right corner. The problem comes with doing the 'squareish' crescent shape. I'm trying but im really struggling. Any tips on creating this shape? Thankss!!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	logo.png
Views:	1
Size:	2.0 KB
ID:	21409

Hi Chuck and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

;Hello Chuck, recreating this image in illustrator can be little tough. You can try ​PhotoViewerPro for this. May be it help.

Comment

• B
        B commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't think the point is to reproduce the shapes in a cheap, run-of-the-mill photo editing program. He's trying to learn the right tool for the job, which in this case, is a vector-based illustration application, like Adobe Illustrator. Also, recreating the image in Illustrator isn't tough; it's a two-minute job once one gets the hang of the program.

You can try Illustrators auto trace feature. But it would be faster to break out the "pen" tool. Click a starting point and start hand tracing. Making curves is difficult for a beginer (man, I remember some 10 years ago) but if you look it up i'm sure you can find a tutorial.

Comment

Ultimately ending up with something like this.
        Attached Files

Comment

I'd pen tool the top half, then mirror it for the bottom half and Pathfinder Unite it. That way they are perfectly the same.

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
            I'd pen tool the top half, then mirror it for the bottom half and Pathfinder Unite it. That way they are perfectly the same.

Yup, that's how I would do it too, then I'd remove the anchor points where they joined up just for the sake of tidiness. It's about two minutes worth of work. Beginners seem to have difficulty with that pen tool, but mastering its use it is essential to using Illustrator.

Comment

Originally posted by Biggs097 View Post
              You can try Illustrators auto trace feature. But it would be faster to break out the "pen" tool. Click a starting point and start hand tracing. Making curves is difficult for a beginer (man, I remember some 10 years ago) but if you look it up i'm sure you can find a tutorial.

Thanks alot guys!! Much appreciated! I'm going to grab a coffee and have another go at it! I'll let you know how it goes.

Comment

The biggest hint with the pen tool:
                When following curves, find the mid point of the arc and set your point there, drawing out the bezier handle until the curve matches. You want as few points as possible when duplicating curves so you don't get wonky bends in the middle.

The other hint is remembering you can shorten the length of one bezier handle or the other and also influence the curve using the next point, Even a line to arc corner can have one bezier handle.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	pen-tool.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	21418so thats what ive managed to do on the 2nd try. Ill keep trying untill I get the hang of it. Thanks alot guys! I WILL GET THE HANG OF THIS!!!!!
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by andym1 View Post
                    ;Hello Chuck, recreating this image in illustrator can be little tough. You can try ​PhotoViewerPro for this. May be it help.
                    Hi Andym1 and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
                    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Not bad, now, for a moment, take off the stroke. Grab the two anchor points one either side of where you have the gap between those two shapes on the right. use the white arrow tool and pull them to over lap.

Then open your pathfinder and hit "merge". Now you should have one single shape.

Put your stroke back on.

(unless that gap was intentional)

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Glitchin
                        Comment on Logo Feedback
                        Glitchin
                        I'm confused. This is one of your designs from your original post right? I meant if you could post an image of the logo the client liked, it might help. "They provided me a Logo they want it...
                        Today, 03:24 PM
                      • Glitchin
                        Reply to Critique Please?
                        Glitchin
                        This is the latest version. I have thickened the CF and lowered the weight of the sound....
                        Today, 02:58 PM
                      • Glitchin
                        Comment on Critique Please?
                        Glitchin
                        Hey thanks for the feedback.

I have tried what you're suggesting with shapes rather than lines, but it didn't work for me.

That's the challenge, making it looking like CF whilst...
                        Today, 02:54 PM
                      • PrintDriver
                        Reply to Portfolio usage of work
                        PrintDriver
                        Nice article B, and illustrates my point about being an LLC or a sole proprietor. The LLC is a business entity separate from your personal life. With sole proprietorship, all of your belongings and assets...
                        Today, 12:42 PM
                      • B
                        Reply to US Letter sized publications printed in European printing houses
                        B
                        Printers can trim to any size that's required. As a general rule, commercial offset printers don't print on already-trimmed paper stock. Instead they print multiple impressions on large sheets of paper...
                        Today, 12:02 PM
                      GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                      Working...
                      X