No announcement yet.

Adobe Illustrator update Hee hee hee...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adobe Illustrator update Hee hee hee...

So I'm checking out the new Adobe Illustrator update.
    New feature.
    Or should I say
    New Headache.

Now you can crop your image directly in Illustrator! Reduce your File Size! Improve Performance!

Not.

It embeds the newly cropped image? That isn't very helpful in reducing file size.
    It won't relink to the original image properly either. (yeah you can ''unembed'' it and make it a new link but....)
    Best of all...
    It also doesn't help when the designer forgets their image bleed and the print guy has to open the frame for them. All the rest of the image has been removed. Gone! Yay! Now I have to bounce the file and wait for it to be resubmitted.

This is one of the most so not helpful additions in a while.
    Just make it work with a low-rez preview like InDesign, leave the links intact, and make a pop-up that asks the designer why they didn't full bleed their image to the bleed border. Assuming they set a bleed border.

(mutter mutter mutter grumble grumble grumble)
    Last edited by PrintDriver; 09-13-2017, 11:57 AM.

Wow, that sounds like a nightmare.

N.A.N.K.A. "We Kick Because We Care."

Comment

For years now, Adobe has been bloating out Illustrator with junk that I think is added, first, in an attempt to justify Adobe's ongoing ransomware fees and, second, to make it more appealing to amateurs by providing half-baked and ill-conceived shortcuts (like this new image cropping feature).

The end result is a morbidly obese memory hog that, ironically, for beginners, seems to come with a learning curve that's nearly straight up when in reality 90 percent of the "features" in the program never need to be used at all and ought to be removed.

Comment

Hey guys, pretty new to this forum. I need some help with creating a dieline for a product. Could you all tell me how to create a post in the first place here? I'm confused as heck.

Comment

I've probably mentioned this before, but reading forums I'm ever mystified by the number of posts describing half-bent workflows centered around raster images going into and/or coming out of Illustrator. So painfully often, the reason for posting is rooted in the problems that arise only because Illustrator is spuriously involved.

In an Illustrator/Photoshop/InDesign workflow, there are 5 base scenarios:
          1. Raster image(s) = Photoshop
          2. Vector graphic(s) = Illustrator
          3. Mixing raster images with vector graphics = InDesign
          4. Raster to vector = place in Illustrator, trace (manually), delete raster image
          5. Vector to raster = save as PDF, open in Photoshop, or, copy from Illustrator/paste to Photoshop Smart Object
          Yes, Adobe has enabled far too many variances with auto-trace crap and "asset export" routines that may possibly work under the right conditions, to name a couple. And in doing so, they've also transformed their target-user market into such a bastardized mix of pros, amateurs, hobbyists, and children, that the originally-intended, professional workflows are hopelessly corrupted.
          I'd rather be killed than come to your party, but if you don't invite me, I'll kill myself.

Comment

Originally posted by DenisePat View Post
            Hey guys, pretty new to this forum. I need some help with creating a dieline for a product. Could you all tell me how to create a post in the first place here? I'm confused as heck.
            Hi Denisepat and welcome to GDF.

Go to the section of the forum you want to post in and look for the "+New Topic" button near the top left area. Click that to start a new post.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
            Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

I'm perfectly fine with Illustrator being used for poster sized single page layouts using raster images.
              Where it goes horribly wrong is, Illustrator is pretty much unusable when it comes to
              a. Placing any image much over 600mb (forget embedding one.)
              b. if any kind of raster effect is used (glows involving gaussian blurs being the most notorious)

Those things slow my ballsy production computer to a crawl, which means some designer on the other end is taking far far too much time twiddling their thumbs while their graphics layout redraws.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
              Working...
              X