Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two little questions concerning the Pen Tool.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two little questions concerning the Pen Tool.

Dear designers,

I was wondering if you could share some of your knowledge concerning the pen tool (I have watched the "Everything you ever wanted to know about the pen tool" video).
    I have an assignment to complete by Monday, which is to reproduce the attached images as accurately as possible (only allowed to use the pen tool). I know how to do it, but just wanted to ask whether there were some time-saving tricks that I don't know about.

1. In the first photo, my initial plan was to trace the whole face and fill it in with the color. If you notice, a lot of the hair right on the face is black, and since I have already traced the whole face, i.e. some parts of this black is already traced, I was wondering if there was a way to trace the black piece not from the scratch, but from the part that was initially done for the face, just to save time?

2. For the second image, I got to use the clipping mask. Again, I know how to do it, but the prof said that there is a little cool trick to save time for the background (circles), and we'd have to do the research ourselves. We don't have to trace each circle, which would be quite painful! I can create a circle, duplicate the layer, arrange them properly, and repeat it over and over, but is there a time-saving method around it?

Because English is not my first language, I apologize if you have any difficulties understanding what I meant

Best wishes!
    Attached Files

Originally posted by Gamma007 View Post
    1. ...a way to trace the black piece not from the scratch, but from the part that was initially done for the face, just to save time?
    With the Direct Selection tool (white arrow), marquee-select the particular segments that make up the part(s) you want to reuse and press Ctrl/Cmd+C to copy. Paste in Front (I'd paste to a new layer above) using Ctrl/Cmd+F. With the Pen tool, continue the shape by clicking an open endpoint first; the next click will add a connected segment.

Originally posted by Gamma007 View Post
    2. the background (circles)...
    You mean the dots? Google "halftone dot pattern in Illustrator"

I'd rather be killed than come to your party, but if you don't invite me, I'll kill myself.

Comment

For the first one, you can do as Hotbutton said, which will work fine. You can also use the various tools in Illustrator's Pathfinder palette window to cut shapes apart. For example partially layering one shape over another, then using one of the pathfinder tools to cut one shape out of the next (sort of hard to explain, but easy to do).

For the second one, yeah, I'd do as HotButton suggested. Make a pattern out of 50 or so dots, then fill the face shape with the pattern. Here are some instructions: https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/patterns.html

Comment

For halftone dots, nothing beats Rasterbator. My favorite go to tool for vector halftone dots (from raster artwork such as a gradient created in photoshop just for the purpose of making a screen pattern.)

Comment

Originally posted by HotButton View Post

With the Direct Selection tool (white arrow), marquee-select the particular segments that make up the part(s) you want to reuse and press Ctrl/Cmd+C to copy. Paste in Front (I'd paste to a new layer above) using Ctrl/Cmd+F. With the Pen tool, continue the shape by clicking an open endpoint first; the next click will add a connected segment.
          Perfect! Exactly what I was looking for. Truly appreciated.

Originally posted by HotButton View Post

You mean the dots? Google "halftone dot pattern in Illustrator"
          Yeah, I meant the dots. Thanks for that, but I've found an even easier way. Draw 1 circle, hit Object -> Pattern -> Make. That's it.

Anyways, gratitude for your kind and quick help. I've finished the first image already. Tomorrow, I'll get on the second one and should finish it as well. By the way, how long do you think it would take you to duplicate the first image using only the Pen and Eyedropper Tools? Just curious.

Comment

• PrintDriver
            PrintDriver commented
            Editing a comment
            I'd use the Blob brush, and the convert anchor tool more than the pen tool. And a Wacom.
            About 30-45 minutes maybe.

It's quite possible live trace would do an adequate job on something like this in a split second. I'd try that first.
            Last edited by PrintDriver; 09-22-2017, 11:12 PM.

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Thug-D
          Comment on What should I do? Problem figuring out what would be more economical to spend on?
          Thug-D
          I'm 17. I do not think my passion is going to change because to be honest since the time I was a kid I found computer graphics pretty dope. It's just that last year I got involved in it. At first I thought...
          Today, 05:58 PM
        • mirab
          visually pleasing web design
          mirab
          Hello Every buddy
          What is the best way to learn visually pleasing web design?

Thanks!
          Today, 05:36 PM
        • Glitchin
          Reply to Logo Feedback
          Glitchin
          These all seem quite generic looking to me, but a lot of people do want these generic looking logos. For me the top one is the best of the lot.

I would adjust the tracking to increase space...
          Today, 03:37 PM
        • Glitchin
          Comment on Critique Please?
          Glitchin
          Thanks Jessa!
          Today, 03:15 PM
        • Glitchin
          Reply to Critique Please?
          Glitchin
          Hey PD,

A political lobbying group. I don't expect them to actually use megaphones and be out on the street chanting. The megaphone is just meant to be symbolic of making noise, and raising...
          Today, 03:14 PM
        GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
        Working...
        X