InDesign dialogue box Return for OKAY, Print, Expor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• InDesign dialogue box Return for OKAY, Print, Expor

I'm moving over to ID CS6 today and using my shortcuts from CS4. A month or so ago I tried CC2017, but given my ram situation on my MP at work it wasn't such a good idea.

Anyway, I solved this problem on CC2017 and it seems in IDCS4 a long time ago, but I just cannot remember where this is in the shortcut set to fix.

Here is my problem.

I bring up a dialogue box such as a New Document, Export or Print and when pressing the return key nothing happens in CS6. In CS4 with both the default and my shortcut set pressing return means Export, OKAY or Print. Same in CC2017 in both default and my set. In the default set in CS6 this works, but not in my brought over from CS4 set.

I know I found this twice, I must have since it works on my set in CS4 and CC2017. I just cannot remember where the damn command in the set is to fix it in CS6.

Rather than beating my head against the wall for the next couple of days I thought I'd ask here.

Please note it's not OS X, because as I mentioned this is working in all cases except my personal set in CS6. So it has to be in my keyboard shortcut set somewhere.

Anyone have any ideas where to look?
    Erik Youngren Pueblo Publishers, Composing Manager
    2.8Ghz Quad Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro | InDesign CS4 | Suitcase Fusion 5

Odd I used to use CS6 on a mac at work about 3 or 4 years ago and I don't remember having to change anything. Hitting return always "clicked" the default dialogue item such as export, print, etc. Now, granted, that wasn't with creating a keyboard shortcut set. Perhaps the shortcut set is corrupt? Not sure how many shortcuts you've changed, but perhaps you can build a new set and see if the return key works for "pressing" the default in a dialogue box.

N.A.N.K.A. "We Kick Because We Care."

Comment

I still have CS6 on my machine.
      Return has always been a default key for 'Enter.'
      When a keyboard shortcut doesn't work, the preference file is probably corrupted.

or... for a short while there was some conflict going on where the command keys were being overridden by the OS command keys. There may be a patch available at Adobe. Make sure your CS6 is updated as far as possible.

One thing about adding CC to your computer that lot of people don't know...
      If you want to keep your previous versions intact, you have to click on the Advanced or More info wording on the update screen supplied by the Creative Cloud interface and tell it NOT to remove previous versions.

Lastly, I don't know if you can port out your prefs from earlier versions to later versions. CS4 to CS6 is a mighty large leap. There were changes in the text engine and the swatches for starters, and probably a pretty good chance the keyboard commands are not compatible.

If you have a lot of custom prefs, it's a really good idea to keep them on a handy thumb drive nearby. Mine hangs on the bulletin board right above my monitor because indesign CC is a horror show for corrupting prefs lately. And InD prefs are a PITA to restore now too.
      Last edited by PrintDriver; 10-12-2017, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig B View Post
        Odd I used to use CS6 on a mac at work about 3 or 4 years ago and I don't remember having to change anything. Hitting return always "clicked" the default dialogue item such as export, print, etc. Now, granted, that wasn't with creating a keyboard shortcut set. Perhaps the shortcut set is corrupt? Not sure how many shortcuts you've changed, but perhaps you can build a new set and see if the return key works for "pressing" the default in a dialogue box.
        Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
        I still have CS6 on my machine.
        Return has always been a default key for 'Enter.'
        When a keyboard shortcut doesn't work, the preference file is probably corrupted.

or... for a short while there was some conflict going on where the command keys were being overridden by the OS command keys. There may be a patch available at Adobe. Make sure your CS6 is updated as far as possible.

One thing about adding CC to your computer that lot of people don't know...
        If you want to keep your previous versions intact, you have to click on the Advanced or More info wording on the update screen supplied by the Creative Cloud interface and tell it NOT to remove previous versions.

Lastly, I don't know if you can port out your prefs from earlier versions to later versions. CS4 to CS6 is a mighty large leap. There were changes in the text engine and the swatches for starters, and probably a pretty good chance the keyboard commands are not compatible.

If you have a lot of custom prefs, it's a really good idea to keep them on a handy thumb drive nearby. Mine hangs on the bulletin board right above my monitor because indesign CC is a horror show for corrupting prefs lately. And InD prefs are a PITA to restore now too.
        Thanks guys.

What I did was simply to copy prefs over from one to the other. I suspect that's probably corrupted the shortcut set, IDK. I didn't have time to sort this out this morning so I just used CS4 for the paper I need to get out. I think what I will end up doing is printing out the old set from CS4, making a new set in CS6 and then going through and applying the shortcuts by hand again. May take a while but hopefulyl that takes care of it.

My issue really is that I converted to ID in early 2013. I went through the entire shortcut set with a PDF of all the QuarkXPress keyboard shortcuts and I matched them all up as best I could. ID's default set for QuarkXPress is extremely basic.

The end result, as well as the way I use my panels (Auto-Collapse) is that ID functions in nearly the same way as XPress did for me. InDesign seems to favor the mouse over keyboard shortcuts and the majority of my experience has always been in XPress so I am used to having my hands on the keyboard to get stuff done.

I will report back once I've got this worked out.

Comment

Yeah, so this is proceeding. Working from my list of printed CS4 shortcuts and going through one by one. Managed to get halfway through on Friday.

Hopefully, should be done by Tuesday. Got a paper to get out on Monday so that will most lilely still be CS4, but past that I should be up to speed.

I'm also taking the opportunity to change any new stuff I see as I go, so there's that.

Really wish I could have stayed on CC2017, but with only 3GB of ram for this Mac Pro it was just dragging things down.

Comment

Success. Am using CS6 now with my same shortcuts.

I do have one remaining question though.

In CS4 I could drag and drop one single image and the app would place the image under the mouse pointer in the document. Now when I do this, I get a loaded mouse pointer. I actually have to go back into the app and then click somewhere for the image to import.

I can see this if it's multiple images, but this is one single image. Anyone know how to put this back the way CS4 does it or is this just the defauly way now?

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• KitchWitch
              Reply to Illustrator - Recolouring a vector remains in grayscale
              KitchWitch
              Hi Keluitry and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
              Today, 07:39 AM
            • KitchWitch
              Reply to Career advice
              KitchWitch
              Hi Virindi and welcome to GDF.

I agree with PD, job titles differ from one place to another now. The word associate could mean you're a junior-level designer, or it could mean you're a partner...
              Today, 07:36 AM
            • KitchWitch
              Reply to Copyright question - images taken from other websites
              KitchWitch
              I'm not a lawyer and not in Australia, so I can only tell you what I would do here in the U.S. I would contact both websites asking permission to use those photos and how they would like them credited....
              Today, 07:31 AM
            • mixlikes
              Reply to What do you think about my new web site?
              mixlikes
              The website is good with high download speed. As well site is neat and clean.
              Today, 07:14 AM
            • PrintDriver
              Reply to Career advice
              PrintDriver
              Titles mean nothing any more. When little Johnny's mummy and daddy are calling his boss after 6 months wondering why little Johnny hasn't been promoted yet, job titles tend to get created. (No joke. I've...
              Today, 06:21 AM
            GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
            Working...
            X