PDF exported from Illustrator renders differently inside Corel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PDF exported from Illustrator renders differently inside Corel

I'm using Adobe Illustrator for all my vector artworks and frankly I don't intend on changing my workflow. I also use Photoshop and InDesign from the Adobe suite and they work together flawlessly (most of the time).

The thing is that some of the people I send files to (quite a lot of them actually) seem to prefer CorelDraw. I'm sending all my work saving them to .pdf format, considering a universal file format. And indeed it works fine most of the time. I run into an issue today though which led to a misunderstanding. I exported my vector artwork -created inside Illustrator- to a .pdf file as usual and sent it. I viewed the .pdf inside Adobe Acrobat and inside Illustrator and it appears fine. The guy who was supposed to print the wallpaper opened it in Corel and appeared different. But didn't realize it appeared wrong (it looks wrong if you ask me but this is another issue) and went on and printed the whole wallpaper.

Only after that I opened the file inside Corel (I only use it to open .cdr files that are sent to me and export them to .pdf to be honest and work with them inside Illustrator) and noticed the same thing.

Does this have anything to do with the settings I use when I save the artwork to .pdf? I usually use the "High Quality Print" profile and Acrobat 8 compatibility. I don't choose anything in the "standard" option. Is there anything I could do to ensure that I don't run into similar problems in the future?

Click image for larger version

Name:	TreeWallpaper_AI.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	242.6 KB
ID:	21528

Click image for larger version

Name:	TreeWallpaper_Corel.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	21527
    Attached Files

1. The printer didn't send, or you didn't request, a layout approval for something as large (and sort of "expensive") as a wallcover?
    2. The printer didn't look at this in Acrobat?

A lot of small design/print shops do use CorelDraw because it is really cheap to purchase compared to Adobe. But the thing is, unfortunately, to be in the print business these days, you have to be able to interface with the designers sending you work. Once a shop branches out from doing inhouse design-print to offering services to outside designers, Adobe is the program most of those clients have. If you aren't ready to make that leap, you aren't ready to be offering services. IMO....anyway.

Comment

That's what I wondered myself (and my client, who regularly uses the specific print shop). Didn't the guy in the print shop see the file inside Acrobat before printing it? His answer was "I thought you wanted it this way"

He probably imported the file to Coreldraw right away (which still should give him a clue that something's wrong in my opinion, this bulky trees "looks" wrong if you ask me, but I'm not sure if this is enough of an "excuse" from my part). What's strange is that this is a regular client, meaning I've sent lots of files and wallpapers (all of them in pdf format using the same settings) before and never run into a similar issue.

In any case, isn't there any clue as to what might have set this behavior off? I don't know if I should re-post this topic in the Corel part of the forum, I chose the Adobe one cause I thought it had something to do with my export settings.

Comment

I think that the tree problem is that it is composed of strokes, instead of fills.

It is always beter to outline your strokes in Illustrator before you send it to someone…

Comment

Is there any type of transparency effect being used in those areas? Sort of looks like the kind of atomic blob you might get with a transparency misread. I've seen it in Signlab on the occasions I forget to flatten the art for the cutter.

If the corel guy doesn't have Adobewares, he probably doesn't have acrobat. He should have at least an OS system PDF reader though.
          If he only has Coreldraw and a print machine, he may not have the chops to know to check files in a PDF viewer or to ask his print clients if they want to see a proof. The proverbial nephew-with-photoshop does exist in the print world as well. Buyer beware. A lot of times ''cheap'' is for a reason.

''Didn't you think the trees looked odd,'' isn't an excuse. Yeah, they do look weird to me but soft proofing (and usually hardproofing for wallcover) is part of our work flow, so this sort of thing gets caught before wasting resources on the end product. The world only has limited room for so much trash.

Comment

A professor I had in college told me, "Always assume you're working with idiots."
            If you want the printer to look at the PDF first to see what it should look like, tell them to look at the PDF first.
            Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Craig B
              Reply to Help me explaining my job in my portfolio!
              Craig B
              I think what you described is fairly typical of most jobs. I'm not saying it's identical but I do web design, email design, interactive apps, collateral, booth graphics, signage, posters, advertising,...
              Today, 10:46 AM
            • Colton819
              Reply to Getting a image ready for print
              Colton819
              So I tried doing Pantone colors but obviously they just couldn’t match close enough. The image I posted is actually a vector format I created a raster format then converted to vector in illustrator. I...
              Today, 08:47 AM
            • leaagg
              Help me explaining my job in my portfolio!
              leaagg
              Hello,

I am a French designer working for a Turkish company (in turkey).
              I am now currently working on my updated portfolio because my main goal is QUIT !! The working conditions in...
              Today, 07:57 AM
            • PrintDriver
              Reply to Tours Travel company logo, what do you think?
              PrintDriver
              Do people still use QR codes?
              Two phones ago I downloaded an app just to check that a client's QR code was linking properly when printed. 4 years later now, and that app has never been used again....
              Today, 07:06 AM
            • PrintDriver
              Comment on Getting a image ready for print
              PrintDriver
              Way too much sharing there, hank..........
              Today, 06:51 AM
            GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright © 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
            Working...
            X