• Request for tips on vectorization

Hey all,
    I'm doing a logo design for a company. Here's a sketch of the logo:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	help2.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	21599

I want to have both the white and black lines on the same weight (unlike the sketch). So when I try to vectorize it, i decided to take the middle black line, trace it until halfway down, copy and mirror it down, add white stroke, expand, add black stroke, then the rest of it.
    but instead what happens is the following:

Name:	help1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	21600

The outermost strokes always turns out to have this weird ugly angles. If i modify it at this point the monoweight line effect is gone. I tried it with 4 different line weights and it always came out wrong. I have been using illustrator for a while but somehow this type of problem avoided me.
    Does anybody have any advice about this? Thanks!

You may have a loop in your bezier handle in the purple line. At an rate, you don't have a smooth curve there, and it's messing with your miter limit.
    Not sure how you are doing this that ends up with closed ends, but I'd just draw one curvy line and step them apart the number of points of the stroke width. I wouldn't do any outlining of strokes until the S-curves are attached to the arc.

Comment

Hi Marcell and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
      Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Here's how I would tackle this:

1) start with the center line, ignore the curves and make a path down the centre the zig-zag line
        2) adjust the weight of the line to match the illustration
        3) with the direct selection tool (white arrow), select the two points that should be curved and curve them at the same time using the corner radius node
        4) expand line to a shape
        5) use Object > Path > Offset Path to create the gap, and again to create the first and third lines
        6) select all three shapes and convert to compound path

I'll let you work out the circle bit, it should be fairly straight forward
        Design is not decoration.

Comment

Thank you for your answers, im determined to figure this out today using your tips.

Originally posted by KitchWitch View Post
          Hi Marcell and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
          Right, thank you!

Comment

Have you tried the zig zag effect or the warp flag effect?
            Last edited by designzombie; 11-09-2017, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Name:	curve.png
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	21602
              If you want perfect symmetry with uniform thickness without having to estimate:

1. Use the zig zag filter to get a perfect s curve.
              2. Outline the stroke and expand the outline.
              3. Offset the shape by the same width that you outlined the stroke with, and then offset it again.

The result should look like what I've attached hear. I'm sure you can figure out the rest from there.

Comment

• kemingMatters
                kemingMatters commented
                Editing a comment
                I forgot about the zigzag filter, that's great use for it.

Thanks dz, this is the closest ive came to getting it right.
              However theres still a small issue:

Name:	yoo.JPG
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	21603

I intended the lines market with red on the side to continue straight after the bends of the S. Do you have any tips on that?

Comment

• designzombie
                designzombie commented
                Editing a comment
                Right after you do step 1 and before you do step 2, get the ''S'' as close to how you want it. You can use the Convert Anchor Point tool tool to delete the control points from the end. You can grab the points of both the bottom and the top without grabbing the other points on the line with the Direct Select tool. From there you can tweak just those two points, rotate them, or scale them symmetrically. It's all in how precise you can get that initial spine shape before expanding.

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
            Working...
            X