Announcement

Collapse

Critical Announcement

With great regret, we would like to inform you that the decision has been made to close down www.GraphicDesignForum.com as of January 31, 2018.

The community has started www.GraphicDesignForum.org to continue the discussion.
See more
See less

Vector created in Illustrator... Paint not reaching to lines in Photoshop?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vector created in Illustrator... Paint not reaching to lines in Photoshop?

Hello all,

Just a quick question. Starting to learn how to make vectors to use in my own graphic design work, but I'm having an issue.

Once I drag the line work into Photoshop and attempt to fill in with the paint bucket tool... a blank gap remains between the added color and the line surrounding it, showing the background color underneath. Is there a way to correct this?

Thank you in advance!

Attached Files

Logos should not be rasterized until they are output. Logos should remain vector and scalable.

If you aren't absolutely sure you need photoshop, I recommend doing all your coloring in illustrator and only export it to a raster format as needed.
    Last edited by designzombie; 01-12-2018, 03:11 PM.

Comment

If you have a vector image to start with (you mentioned dragging line work into photoshop, i'm not sure if that's vector lines or hand drawn art).
      If its vector line work, just complete the piece in Illustrator - Photoshop should be the last program to be considered for this type of work.

Zombie is right, the art will need to be rasterized - thus defeating the purpose of the project.

Though, to answer your question - the paint bucket has some tolerance options that most likely need to be turned up to fill the shape entirely. A low tolerance will cause the fill to cease once it hits the slightest variation in pixel color. Too much tolerance and the fill may bleed out into the surrounding areas.

Comment

• designzombie
        designzombie commented
        Editing a comment
        I misread the original question. Thanks for correctly answering.

The OP may have Anti-aliasing turned off on the paint bucket settings.

• Biggs097
        Biggs097 commented
        Editing a comment
        You weren't wrong Zombie. To be 100% honest i'm not not exactly sure what type of file OP is starting with here. For all I know it could be some sort of layering issue like you said (though i'd like to assume there's only be a single layer, or a layer and a locked background).

Though if it was a smart object of some kind I don't think he would have gotten as far as he has. He would have been prompted to rasterize before proceeding.

• ashnbee
        ashnbee commented
        Editing a comment
        Good advice. I was using Photoshop to create the line work, then dragging it over. Again... VERY new to both programs so learning everything from scratch here! Photoshop requires me to rasterize before doing anything, so I'll complete in Illustrator. Thank you for the help! I feel a bit stupid here, lol. Just have to learn.
        Last edited by ashnbee; 01-12-2018, 04:53 PM.

Hi Ashnbee and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
      Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Thank you all! I only began tinkering with both programs within the week... so if it seems like I'm utterly clueless of basic techniques, that's why

I'm not sure if I was actually creating a true vector... using the brush trace over an image of mine to create the line work. Tweaking as needed with pencil and then bringing over into Photoshop to include in a design. Makes MUCH more sense to complete piece in Illustrator then bring it over if I must. That should do it!

Comment

What kind of ''design'' are you making?
          It sounds like you are creating a piece of art, not a design layout.

If you are doing any kind of layout, you shouldn't be using photoshop for that at all. If you are doing ''art'' then yes, photoshop may be appropriate, depending on what your final purpose is for the ''art''
          The fact that you are starting in a vector program might mean you want the sharp line art to remain, which will not happen once you rasterize the linework. You are then at the mercy of the resolution you have set in Photoshop. If you are unfamiliar with how raster art resolution works, you could be making a bad judgement call when bring your vector lines into Photoshop.

Last edited by PrintDriver; 01-13-2018, 08:38 AM.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• B
            Reply to What do you guys think about this designe ?
            B
            I'm guessing that renting a party girl means exactly what one might suspect.

As for the logo, it looks like a peel-off sticker of some kind. The type is mathematically centered, but visually...
            Today, 09:07 PM
          • PrintDriver
            Reply to migrating or going away?
            PrintDriver
            Merit badges? Really?
            We'll see what happens I guess.
            Today, 08:19 PM
          • B
            Reply to migrating or going away?
            B
            The project manager, Iraszi, from the company that owns the forum, says the company decided to shut down the forum. He's taken the initiative to set up a new, independent forum that isn't owned by the...
            Today, 07:55 PM
          • PrintDriver
            Reply to What do you guys think about this designe ?
            PrintDriver
            What do you mean by ''gig design''?

As for the thing itself, I might put Perth on its own line under Party Girls. The whole thing kind of gives a mixed message. Is it a modeling agency? Is...
            Today, 07:34 PM
          • PrintDriver
            migrating or going away?
            PrintDriver
            Is this forum migrating to the new or going away and starting over?
            Today, 07:30 PM
          GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
          Working...
          X