Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• B
    Reply to Logo motorcycle magazine
    B
    As HotButton says, it's really only part of the Harley Davidson crowd who dress up in the tough guy costumes. Neither BMW nor Ducati riders, for example, would be caught dead looking like them.
    Today, 05:06 PM
  • dotta
    Reply to hyperlinking multiple images with php
    dotta
    You are correct in saying that. I'm using wordpress to make my webcomic, so I'm having to rewrite the code with each page.

Here's the website: http://jessaandnora.com/

I will...
    Today, 04:19 PM
  • HotButton
    HotButton
    Igh...I believe Moto Rivista is aimed more at the "Cafe Racer" mindset, as opposed to unwashed costumed chest thumping whiners.

In any case, sorry Creare, but I think this is a...
    Today, 03:57 PM
  • typo
    Reply to Typography resources.
    typo
    Hey there guys,
    Talking about mixing fonts, I just found this book (The big book of font combinations only in pdf version as far as I can see) and I was wondering, Is there any good alternative...
    Today, 03:14 PM
  • Momoshy
    Momoshy
    Hey, what kind of magazine is this?
    Because, when I think of motorcycles, I think of very macho men, Heavy metal, tatooed men on Harley Davidson style, which I relate to a heavy, raw and straight...
    Today, 03:01 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switch from CorelDraw to InDesign

Okay, okay...I know there are benefits to making this switch, esp. with mult-page documents. But I've been a CorelDraw user since it came out and I'm interviewing for a design job where they prefer InDesign and Illustrator.

I don't want to make the switch, but I want the job! I've never, ever, never not been able to do any and all graphic design projects in Corel Draw for the past 10 years. The only time I've had it bomb out on me is in mult-page documents over 50 pgs (although I've always found a simple work-around). But I rarely do many of those, so for everything else, it's perfect (for me) and it's almost second nature in how I use it.

Is InDesign really that much better that it's worth the learning curve to switch? (That's what they said about Illustrator way back when, and now it's been replaced by ID). I've always found Adobe products to be very NOT user-friendly or intuitive, which is one of the things I love about Draw (i.e customizable toolbars, user-interface, etc.).

And if I do make the switch, is there a quick and painless way to do it? Is there a way to set up your own customizable interface and toolbars in InDesign (so maybe I could at least have it look like my CD interface)?

Someone convince me with real reasons, why I should do it....please.

Thanks.

(PS The whole thing with these different programs is like this: It's like telling an artist that have to use Da Vinci brushes, and not Grumbacher. It's stupid. It's just a tool in the hands of the designer. I know you need to have the right tools, but at some point, when all the tools work fairly similarly, it's the designer that makes the difference, not necessarily the tool, imho.)
    While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats. --Mark Twain

Well, I can't speak to Corel Draw at all, as I've never used it.

But in terms of your marketability as an employee, learning InDesign (or any other software for that matter) only ups your potential for being hired.

Think of it this way: if you learn InDesign, you'll be more hireable, and you'll also still know Corel Draw and can use it for freelance projects if that's what you prefer.

I'm not sure where you got the notion that InDesign has replaced Illustrator. While there are some things that you can do in both programs equally well, Illustrator lends itself more readily to projects like logos, whereas InDesign is primarily intended as a layout tool.

Again, having never used Corel Draw, I can't compare. I've been using the Adobe programs for so long that I'm not an objective person to ask about the interface, etc. Nor do I know what Corel Draw even looks like, interface-wise. So I can't advise you on that.

Bottom line: if you want the job, learn InDesign. Good luck, I hope you get the job!
    "Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do!" - Ricky Ricardo

Comment

I have been using CorelDraw for years too (v2) and I do pretty much everything in CorelDraw (i have designed logos, flyers, postcards and also catalogs and it is great when you work with illustrations, some text and pictures at the same time) For other projects that involve a lot of text, InDesign is what you need to use (also Quark). I do use InDesign (never Illlustrator) and I have never tried to customize the tools for Corel users, they are different apps with different logic for lot of things, I don't work with InDesign in regular basis because we don't have those kind of projects every day...i'd like to help you, even though i am really sure that you will find really good tips here. Good luck.
      anitalavalatina

Comment

Ok, not to sound rude, but I worked at a printshop that only had Corel. I thought the program was a joke compared to other programs. Maybe I didn't know how to push it to it's fullest, but if you are serious about layout and design, then Indesign is the way to go in my opinion. Often I had to work on stuff at to fix because I couldn't do what I wanted to in Corel.

I don't consider Corel Draw to be an equivalent of Indesign, just a sad cousin of Illustrator. Freehand, Illustrator and CorelDraw do similar-ish things. Indesign is used for multi-page design.

I also find that people that work in Corel Draw provide files that are all over the place in terms of spot colours.
        Last edited by Buda; 12-02-2006, 08:19 AM.
        It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

There is nothing wrong with Coreldraw.
          There is also nothing wrong with film cameras, Windows 98, Mac OS 8.2, and vinyl records. But you have to keep up. Not with what's cool and modern, but what is in demand and up-to-date. You'll need to spread your wings and prepare yourself for new agencies and printers that need to stay up-to-date to be competetive. Schools and colleges are not teaching Corel, they are pushing Adobe Creative Suite. You need to learn if you want to stay in the business, if you want to stay on par with the kids coming out of classes today. And commercial printers aren't going to welcome 50 page Corel files any more than the happily take in 50 page Illustrator files. Granted, I stil accept Corel files, but...

Sorry, Ms. O, I have to side with the others. Be willing to learn Creative Suite, but also use your knowledge of Corel as an added bonus.

Good Luck!
          Last edited by rickself; 12-02-2006, 11:35 PM.
          People tell me "Have a Good One!' Hell, I already have a good one, I just need a BIGGER one! - George Carlin

Comment

(That's what they said about Illustrator way back when, and now it's been replaced by ID)
            Ouch. That hurt my feelings (cries in corner)..............ID is not by far an Illy replacement.

I have had to use Corel for work several times during career. It has alot of great features, I am just a preferred Illy user. I would say the same thing about Freehand.

I wouldn't call it second rate either.

As for why you should make the switch? Well if you want to stay on top of your craft it would be in your best interest to have working knoweledge of the other programs out there. You would be limiting yourself alot considering the majority of the industry are using Illy, Quark, ID, and PS. Seems like Corel and Freehand are just alternates. And are they even using Pagemaker now? But it also changes depending on the what industry your in on what may be used more.

Broacher?
            "You're just jealous because YOUR hat doesn't have a clock in it!"

Comment

I think MsO career goes back a ways. I remember back in the early 90s when at least 30% of the work I did was output publications created in Illy. Then quickly Quark and PageRaker took off allowing the Illy users to build their pages. It was at this time we used to get alot of Corel work too. But not any longer. Very seldom do we get a Corel job and my feeling is most printers in my area don't either. If we get a Corel file we tell the client to export as a eps just to place not edit. I think most printers have an old version of Corel residing on a abandoned windows 2000 machine under someone's desk. Ms0, The Adobe Suite comes with Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign. InDesign is a page builder with some Illy features built in but they really do not compete with each other, they compliment each other. You should have tackled these programs years back but do not shy away from it now! These are world class graphic applications and once you get the logic of them you'll be glad and proud of yourself that you did.
              Danger Mouse, I got a 88 page PageRaker file with placed Freehand files for the PC. I thought I was in for it but surprisingly it went smooth as silk. Not because of Freehand which I like but Pagemaker which scares me sometimes.
              WYSIWYG

Comment

Originally posted by jimking
                Danger Mouse, I got a 88 page PageRaker file with placed Freehand files for the PC. I thought I was in for it but surprisingly it went smooth as silk. Not because of Freehand which I like but Pagemaker which scares me sometimes.
                lol...I hated Pagemaker at first, but had to get good at it.

We get quite a few corel files from other designers. (these are usually sport logos of some sort). What annoys me about most Corel users I had delt with is they send our their CDR files with the impression that the rest of the graphics world uses Corel files. I don't know how many times I have had to email a client back asking to export to an Illy EPS. I can open CDR files but usually has major color and translation issues in Illy. So, corel users......send your files with EPS files as well and save us both alot of time.
                "You're just jealous because YOUR hat doesn't have a clock in it!"

Comment

Yep, you can edit Corel eps in Illy but that's another one that scares the hell out of me!
                  WYSIWYG

Comment

Thanks everyone for your comments.

I know I have to switch over and I want to, but there's always that dreaded learning curve and the "why fix something that isn't broken" feeling, and I'm just being a baby about it. I've never had a problem with CD or getting my files to work with a print shop, so I guess I've been very lucky.

But after reading you all's comments, I can definitely see the value of switching. Esp. what rickself said "....you have to keep up. Not with what's cool and modern, but what is in demand and up-to-date. You'll need to spread your wings and prepare yourself for new agencies and printers that need to stay up-to-date to be competetive."

So....I downloaded the trial version, going to Borders to get a book on it today, and will spend the next few weeks doing some tutorials and delving in. I want to feel comfortable with the program, enuf so that if on my first day of work (assuming I get hired), I could possibly just whip out something simple and not even think twice (wishful thinking...HA!). Not that they would expect me to.

So....even tho I have Photoshop CS2 (and Dreamweaver/Flash) what is the most recent version of Creative Suite? I'm thinking I don't need Premium, as I have the latest version of DW, but would CS2 Standard be up to date?

Any advice along those lines?

Thanks all!
                    While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats. --Mark Twain

Comment

CS2 Standard will definitely encompass the latest versions of Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator. It won't include Acrobat, however, which comes with the premium suite, and in my opinion is an important part of any design/production arsenal. You mentioned you already had Dreamweaver, but you might consider buying the premium Suite just for the upgrade capabilities it will give you, since Adobe bought Macromedia.

I think you'll be glad you made the choice to switch. Actually, you're not switching, you're simply adding to your skill set. I don't think that buying the Creative Suite forces you to uninstall Corel Draw.

Feel free to PM me if you have any need of help getting used to InDesign. At work we've been using InDesign more than we use Quark, as of about January, and I've been on an aggressive learning track with it, so I'd be happy to help you make the transition.

Good luck!
                      "Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do!" - Ricky Ricardo

Comment

Hey Ms. O... ya didn't have to send the snow BACK to Spokane! We sent it to you...early Christmas gift, ya know!
                        People tell me "Have a Good One!' Hell, I already have a good one, I just need a BIGGER one! - George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by urstwile
                          You mentioned you already had Dreamweaver, but you might consider buying the premium Suite just for the upgrade capabilities it will give you, since Adobe bought Macromedia.
                          Good point!

Originally posted by urstwile
                          Feel free to PM me if you have any need of help getting used to InDesign....I'd be happy to help you make the transition.

Good luck!
                          Thanks, I may just take you up on that offer!

Originally posted by rickself
                          Hey Ms. O... ya didn't have to send the snow BACK to Spokane! We sent it to you...early Christmas gift, ya know!
                          I didn't want to send it back, believe me! I just moved back here from 20 years in Hawaii, and believe it or not, I loved those snowy days.

The good part was I didn't have to drive in them....that would have been a completely different story, let me tell ya!

Comment

Hey, btw...happy birthday (tomorrow), urstwhile!

Comment

Originally posted by Ms.O
                              I didn't want to send it back, believe me! I just moved back here from 20 years in Hawaii, and believe it or not, I loved those snowy days.
                              That's funny, I lived on Kauai from 86-89 and have 2 brothers still there. And I came back because I missed the 4 seasons...just ain't Christmas without snow.

This is my favorite site for Indy stuff:
                              http://indesignsecrets.com/

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                              Working...
                              X