This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1ooScreamingTrees
    I think you're expecting to be able to "flood fill" that white space a la Adobe Photoshop?

Adobe Illustrator doesn't work that way - directly. You should probably start with the basics or you'll be in over your head. Just google some illustrator tutorials to get you started - then buy a book that includes "theory" if you will, rather than "how to make this cool image" tutorial-esque stuff.

If this is a serious endeavor, you need to hire a designer.
    If the image he posted is in vector, he could actually "flood fill" it with Live Paint.

Comment

I have type on a curve. There was a way to flip the type on the inside of the curve; how do I do it? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesX521
        I have type on a curve. There was a way to flip the type on the inside of the curve; how do I do it? Thanks.
        Then you have your type on the path. Use the direct selection arrow and select the type. You should see three vertical lines on the path. Drag the one without the small boxes to the side of the path where you would like.
        http://parkablogs.blogspot.com

Comment

When I do that, the type mirrors on the inside of the path. The way I want it, and I believe I have seen it, is not to mirror it, but just to move the type below the baseline of the path and edit it that way.

Comment

Then just move the path lower instead.
            http://parkablogs.blogspot.com

Comment

I love you.
              I'm just here for the taco.

Comment

Originally posted by fredrich
                If the image he posted is in vector, he could actually "flood fill" it with Live Paint.
                Yep. Fredrich makes a good point-- you have to keep on top of new introduced features and with the latest version of AI you can use livepaint to essentially flood a white area. An awesome improvement for vector drawing-- cartoonists, mapmaking, and all around general designing. Also allows for some interesting tricks-- like a moveable 'cross-over' shape combo' (example: two chain links).

Wish that upgrade we just ordered would arrive soon!

Comment

Broacher you are gonna have a ball! I had a little time to play with Illy CS3 this week. Almost had me wishing 1) it would rain tomorrow so I could have an excuse to go in to work and play with it some more and 2) that I was a designer again.

Lots of cool tools and after the intitial interface shock, I'm really digging it and its customizability.

Comment

Wow, now I can't wait to upgrade (it'll be a while for us to do that at work, based on the tempo of our last upgrade ). If both Broacher and you, PD are so jazzed, it must be a great upgrade.
                    "Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do!" - Ricky Ricardo

Comment

wow - great list!! thanks.

Comment

cheers thanks mate!

Comment

good link and gr8 work

Keep Up

Comment

I'm posting this question in here, in case anyone else is having similar problems, so the answer will be in the same place.

Since a) getting an Intel iMac and using b) Illustrator CS2, when I doubleclick on an Illy file in the Finder, if the program's not running, the program launches, the file I doubleclicked on is visible in the Window (or is it View) menu, but me no see actual file on my screen. I end up having to close the file through the menu (the close option is there) and then having to open it up again before it shows up on my screen.

Anyone else having this weirdness? And know of a way to fix it?
                            "Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do!" - Ricky Ricardo

Comment

Adding this to this thread because I can't seem to ever remember, filter or effect.

Originally posted by PrintDriver
                              Contrary to popular opinion, not everything created in Illustrator is scaleable. Many of the things you can do using Filters and Effects are actually Raster based imaging.

Many of you may have noticed you can create fuzzy drop shadows in two ways.
                              As a Filter and as an Effect. It is very important to realize that drop shadows are created using raster, not vector, imaging. It is also very important to know how the output resolution of that raster effect is controlled.

Under the Effects menu is a flyout for your Document Raster Effects Settings. Before you even begin your design you should check that this is set at a proper output resolution based on the size and scale of your document.
                              If your printer wants your files at 100% final size at 300dpi final size, set it at 300dpi
                              If your printer wants your files at 25% of final size at 300dpi at final size, set it at 1200dpi.
                              Don't make the output dpi larger than your printer requests. Not only will your illustration take longer to redraw, it takes longer to RIP.

You can change the resolution of a fuzzy Drop Shadow if it is created as an Effect. You cannot change it if it is created as a Filter.

The top part of this image shows two fuzzy drop shadows created with the DRES set at 35dpi. They look the same.

Suppose you needed to increase the resolution of your document for a larger sized output. The bottom two squares show what happens when the DRES is changed to 300dpi. Nothing happens to the Filtered Drop Shadow while the Effect Drop Shadow resolution has changed appropriately.

Attached Images

Comment

Originally posted by urstwile
                                I'm posting this question in here, in case anyone else is having similar problems, so the answer will be in the same place.

Since a) getting an Intel iMac and using b) Illustrator CS2, when I doubleclick on an Illy file in the Finder, if the program's not running, the program launches, the file I doubleclicked on is visible in the Window (or is it View) menu, but me no see actual file on my screen. I end up having to close the file through the menu (the close option is there) and then having to open it up again before it shows up on my screen.

Anyone else having this weirdness? And know of a way to fix it?
                                I've had this happen when I got my MacPro and ran Illy CS2 on it, too. I've never
                                liked that version of Illustrator because of the bugs I always seemed to run into,
                                and the random crashes I had on my PPC. I don't have a fix outside of upgrading
                                to Illy CS3. I still see it happen occasionally, but mostly with larger files, so it's
                                a little more understandable I guess. IMO there weren't that many bugs in CS2
                                that were fixed in CS3, and I'm not convinced that one was completely. Sorry
                                I'm not more help.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                                Working...
                                X