Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• snehal_Joshi
    Comment on Business Logo Design
    snehal_Joshi
    A logo is the first impression for any brand, as per my view only logo can create your first corporate brand image.
    Today, 06:31 AM
  • approveme
    Reply to Which of HTML and XHTML works best for most browsers?
    approveme
    What Is XHTML?

XHTML stands for EXtensible HyperText Markup Language
    XHTML is almost identical to HTML
    XHTML is stricter than HTML
    XHTML is HTML defined as an XML application...
    Today, 05:46 AM
  • it52
    Reply to Your's personal criticism
    it52
    It's cool you have a wide variety of skills. If you've designed for the web, I'm surprised you don't have a portfolio website of your own that you designed and coded. Do you have experience in coding?...
    Today, 05:30 AM
  • justproud2b
    Reply to General Branding (Re-branding)
    justproud2b
    Your right and thank you. I'm going to rethink it from a new perspective (the whole idea). I'm not used to dealing with names that don't have an overly obvious icon or look associated with them so I was...
    Today, 04:20 AM
  • B
    Comment on Graphic Design tutorials
    B
    It's sort of the Dadaist approach to design, I guess.
    Yesterday, 11:48 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DreamweaverMX and tables (grrrrrrrrr)

Hi, I've just discovered the forum and I hope you can help me!

I'm trying out DMX and for some reason all my tables with text have collapsed. I have set widths (e.g. 555) and yet they are re-arranging themselves into widths of 100px or so.

Any ideas? I've tried several different views but the tables stay collapsed. Am I missing the obvious (happens to me a lot!).

Thanks!

~at

use DW not DMX lol....I though you just tried out rap music.....

I am unsure what you mean by collapse send a link or a screenshot of this 'collapsing'

---- Sheriff of Boobie Island --------

Wayne: Our enemy is wicked, so...
    J.D.: Dude, she's Freddy Krueger.
    Wayne: Damien.
    J.D.: Dude, she's Vader.
    Wayne: No! She's the Emperor.
    J.D.: Yeah, but with really great ****.

Comment

LOL -- I forgot about the band...

Anyway, here are the screen shots

Bad = What I'm seeing in Dreamweaver, the table is not at it's set size

Good = How it looks when viewed in a browser

Any ideas what I'm missing?

Comment

auntie

right on! welcome to the gdf.

kitchener, eh? there's a few of us ontariarians around here...

i understand your dmx problems. i don't know how to permanently fix them. seems to me i had these issues and then it cleared up. sorry, not much help. if you browse through the forum, you'll see my hate/hate relationship with dw.

someone will be 'round to help soon, i'm sure. luck!

uncle.

>> rudie can't fail <<

Comment

dont always trust the dreamweaver view....check the html and upload it and see if the browser fixes the problem (like in you case) if that doesnt work kick you computer and pour water in the CD drive....

-------

side note: right about now RYAN will post 'learn html and delete dreamweaver'

5, 4, 3, 2, 1.....ryan where are you??

---- Sheriff of Boobie Island --------

Wayne: Our enemy is wicked, so...
          J.D.: Dude, she's Freddy Krueger.
          Wayne: Damien.
          J.D.: Dude, she's Vader.
          Wayne: No! She's the Emperor.
          J.D.: Yeah, but with really great ****.

Comment

If it looks good in a browser, then it really doesn't matter what dw thinks it looks like.

Comment

thanks for the welcomes!

i can live with the collapsed tables, it's just a pain in the butt -- if i'm lucky it'll just go away

thx guys!

~at

Comment

I've had troubles with tables/cells for years...finally I gave up and just do it the easy way. I make a white page in Paint Shop Pro 7 or 8, then 'export' using the image slicer. I can make any configuration of cells I want. Save as htm or html, then open in dreamweaver cut out the white blanks (jpg, gif, or png cell fillers) then you can put raw text in them. If you want centering, select the full table and hit 'align' 'center' in the properties at the bottom. If you doubt how this works...see my website. Most pages were made this way.

Comment

I use GoLive, and it has a great table inspector for troubleshooting tables. Maybe DW has something similar. If not, check ALL your dimensions -- especially if there are nested tables -- usually one cell is mis-sized & it throws the others out. I usually draw the table out on paper first -- you might find it helpful to do so for your troubleshooting.

I'd be wary about hoping that the table will look good in the browser even if DW doesn't show it right... there's a risk that it will break on someone's browser, somewhere.

I'm not sure about Lesd40's method. Sounds like a good way to write some really crappy code -- the kind that gives wysiwyg a bad name. You're better off building a nice solid table from scratch.

Comment

DW sucks. Learn HTML and delete it.

GoLive sucks too.

Lesd40, that is one of the worst ways to make a web site. It is horrible for search engines, it takes longer to load, isn't standards compliant, and is not inaccessible.

Sorry BP, I hadn't scrolled all the way down in a while.

ProudPenguin
                    P r o d u c t i o n s

Comment

Look at the code, a lot of times, even tho dw says it is creating good code, it's still off, make sure the values you want are matched up with what is in the code.
                      Also, mx is now working a lot with css, you might wanna check that, it may be doing something.

Big Brother is Watching

Comment

If you've created it in Dreamweaver MX, it may as 1984 said, be caused by auto-generated css (something that is very annoying about Dreamweaver MX). If hard-coding makes you feel ill, then try deleting the left table completely, and re-create it from scratch (assuming you've tried ensuring all TR tags and the table width are all correct).

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                        Working...
                        X