X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gutter width in Indesign

Hi, Does anybody know how to change gutter width in text block with colums. (InDesign CS) Would really appreciate an advice. Thank you!
    ~~~ www.lsgraphic.com ~~~

I think the keystroke you're looking for is Ctrl+B (PC) or Apple+B (Mac).

There should be an option there to adjust how many columns you'd like and the gutter width between them.
    "Here lies Spug. He never tried an avocado"

Comment

It works! Thank you so much.
      See, how would I know? - the Indesign help didn't say anything about this shortcut and their solution just click with selection tool and drag was not working for some reason.
      Thanks again!
      ~~~ www.lsgraphic.com ~~~

Comment

Well, it's a short-cut for Object->Text Frame Options, so while you'd never have guessed the shortcut, you might have found it there. Though, probably not. I'm not convinced that's very obvious, either...

Comment

Cheers Hewligan, I can never remember the proper names of option windows or tools. I've become a Shortcut whore, I remember things by KeyStrokes now. It's a slippery slope.
          "Here lies Spug. He never tried an avocado"

Comment

Another question - it's been bugging me forever but I've just found ways around it.

Say you have 3+ columns, can you change the gutter between the columns so that they are different. Say gutter between c1 and c2 is 5mm but I want the gutter between c2 and c3 to be 15mm.

How?

Normally I draw new text boxes and move them away to fit.

Also how to change column widths individually? Say c1 is 60mm, c2 is 70mm and c3 is 80mm.
            It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" – Winnie the Pooh

Comment

The only way I can think of is with 3 separate text boxes, and not using columns.

N.A.N.K.A. "We Kick Because We Care."

Comment

Damn, that's the way I do it.
                It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" – Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Yeah, that's the only way I can think of. Mind you, I usually put columns in seperate text boxes, anyway. A sad by-product of too many years using Pagemaker

Still, if you've got your column guides set up right, it's not that much effort.

Comment

It's ok hewligan pagemaker is dead now. No one will make you go back to the bad place.

Comment

I know, but some days I have these flashbacks.

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN I ONLY GET 1 UNDO?!??!?!"

Comment

Just take it one day at a time. Have you joined any therapy groups?

Comment

I can remember when multiple undos came to Photoshop & Illustrator. Oh the parties!

Comment

I've actually always preferred multiple text boxes that are linked over one text box with multiple columns and a fixed gutter. The reason is that back in the old days, sometimes you'd want to cheat the line width of a column by a few points. Easy to do on the old mainframe typesetting systems. Hard to do when it's one text box with three columns and the same gutter for each. So I tend to do multiple text boxes for that reason.
                            "Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do!" - Ricky Ricardo

Comment

Default Gutter Width?

Is there a way to change the default gutter width when you press Command+B? By default it's always .1667 in (1 pica), and I'd like to be able to change this to .125 in for a project I'm working on. It's frustrating to have to remember to change this every time we create a new text box!

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                              Working...
                              X