Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freehand help needed!

Hi,
    This forum is generally very useful but haven' been able to find the answer to a specific question:

How one can stretch a rectangle shaped graphic (maybe linework or a photo) just ever so slightly more at the bottom than at the top. Say, make the bottom side of the rectangle 101% of its previous length while keeping the upper side as it is. Essentially, stretch a rectagular graphic to a trapezium shaped graphic
    Obviously, the more some sense of proportion is kept in the stretching the better.
    Help would be most appreciated!
    thanks in advance

Is it line art or a photo you want to do this to?

If it's a photo, I'd suggest doing the editing in Photoshop with the Free Transform tool.

If it's line art the only way i can think of doing that is the 3D Rotate tool. You'd have to play with it a little until you get the required effect.

Hope that helps?
    don't abuse a friend or hurt one another...

Comment

thanks, but...

Thanks, BigRich1.
      Already used photoshop for this but needed to do this for line work as well and also for mixed graphics, where the image has a small photo embedded in as well.
      3D rotate sounds interesting but I think it may distort the graphic in the wrong kind of way, giving it a "turn" instead of just evenly stretching the various parts (for example, the bottom should be stretched most and the top would not be stretched at all, and in between the parts would be stretched at an inbetween level)
      Isn't there a plugin that would work for freehand (or maybe illustrator). Seems like plenty of people would be needing to stretch things in various ways sometimes.

Comment

The immediate answer I can come up with is you can't. In Illustrator you may be able to get around the image distort by using the Image Mapping function but the controls are clunky and stitch lines can happen. Envelope Distort doesn't seem to work on images in Illy masked or not. Object Transform or Effect Warp don't seem to affect images either...

Comment

I want to say there's a key command for this. I haven't dealt with Freehand in going on 4 years, so it's hard to remember.
          For line art:
          I want to say hold the control (or possibly command-might even be a combo of keys) key down while selecting a corner you wish to distort. Then drag to your desired proportion. I could be wrong though, it's been a while.
          www.QuiteGraphic.com
          I'll double check your spelling if you'll double check mine. Two heads are better than one.

Comment

Originally posted by alghazn
            ...Essentially, stretch a rectagular graphic to a trapezium shaped graphic...
            In photoshop just use the perspective skew transform (Edit > Transform > Perspective). Grab a corner and hold option + shift and pull the corner in, the opposite side will move as well.

Instant trapizoid...

Is that what your trying to achieve?
            Professional Pixel Pusher — Designing the world around you. | Working daily to reach 10,000 hours of practice.

Comment

Yeah, in Photoshop it's easy. But in Illy, and I'm guessing Freehand, they seem to have forgotten to put in the part about skewing the image as well as the box it's in.

Comment

In Illustrator it's as simple as using the Free Transform Tool. Select your shape, select the tool and then click on the corner you want pushed in. Click and hold, use 'the claw' on the key board (shift + option + apple key) and push in.

Done

Not sure how to do it in Freehand since I've never used the program... sorry!
                Professional Pixel Pusher — Designing the world around you. | Working daily to reach 10,000 hours of practice.

Comment

Originally posted by CkretAjint
                  In Illustrator it's as simple as using the Free Transform Tool. Select your shape, select the tool and then click on the corner you want pushed in. Click and hold, use 'the claw' on the key board (shift + option + apple key) and push in.
                  While that does work in Illy for vector drawings, it does not work on placed images in Illustrator.

x2 on the Freehand thing, I hope I never have to work in it again

Comment

you've given me really wonderful input! Thanks!

CkretAjint : You've solved part of the problem for me, except, as Longboy says , the method does not seem to work on placed images.

Is there no other way, which will also work on placed images?

Even if placed images just can't be handled this way, this is useful enough so that I'd be interested in the equivalent way that Freehand handles it (Ovaltine suggests there is such a way in Freehand too)

Anyway, thanks, thanks and thanks!

Comment

Skew your image in PS. Save it, bring it into Illy. and slap a clipping mask on it to trim the edges.

Comment

well, the whole graphic is given by the customer

The graphic given to us would include zero, one or more placed images. I would have to first import the images into PS, then do what you say. And all this increases the chance of an error if such work is to be done on a frequent basis.
                        The clipping mask and trimming part is bound to introduce minor discrepancies from the original.

The process may become too time consuming as well.

Comment

Originally posted by alghazn
                          The process may become too time consuming as well.
                          On a regular basis it would be.

Open Photoshop and do what I originally posted to do in PS. Then place it in Illy and do what I posted to do in Illy. Then line the 2 up (with the illy box ON TOP of the picture), right click and select "Make Clipping Mask".

Comment

Seems quite ingenious , at least to a novice like me.
                            But let me get this right. What you are saying is, when I get a rectangular graphic from a customer, I should select all the placed image graphics, copy them (however) into a rectangular area in PS, make a trapezium with them (so each image gets stretched appropriately), then place this whole compound image in illy.
                            Then open the original in illy and do the trapezium thing on it as you posted.
                            Then place the PS image (images) below the illy rectangualr graphic and right click and make a clipping mask.
                            Did I get that right?
                            If so, would it be possible to remove the PS compound image thing from under the illy graphic/clipping mask and have just the right stuff remain? Meaning would it be in the same form (with slightly modified trapezium dimensions) as the original? or would there be traces or something of the clipping mask or the PS image or the process (all of which basially making it a bit different from the original)

Comment

What is this for? I have a feeling your just looking to size images all the same size. Then just free transform them in PS...

A clipping mask is just that, a mask. It hides what is outside the shape, and shows what is inside the shape.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X