InDesign to PDF Issues.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• InDesign to PDF Issues.

Let me start by saying that I apologize in advance if anything I say is snarky or calloused in this post or any replies stemming from this post. This is a very frustrating issue to deal with on a Monday.

Here is the setup:

Windows XP, Indy CS3, Quad Core, 4 Gb of Ram.

I am trying to print a large banner (48" x 24", done at half scale) from InDesign to a low res PDF proof. I keep getting the following error "Failed to export the PDF file." The file consists of one large background image, a map, one small text box, a web address and 3 logos.

Now before it is assumed that I didn't do any research, here is what I have figured out so far. Nothing overlapping spreads, no transparencies, fonts are not corrupt, all images are CMYK, all images are linked eps's (nothing is corrupt) and the file prints when setup for Press ready standards. This file has been printed numerous times (both resolutions) with no issues until I formatted the page size and bleeds for this particular job. If the large background image is removed it prints fine to lower resolution.

I have heard that it may be RAM (not with the 4 Gb i Have though), boxes overlapping spreads, corrupt images, wrong color spaces, transparencies, fonts, everythign else under the sun. Nothing has fixed this issue for me though. I have also tried to export it to a inx file and still issues.

With all that being said, I am pretty sure it has been narrowed down to the large background image. I have tried renaming the file, recreating the .tif from the original PSD file, changing color space to RGB (just in case), removing the image and placing a new version in the file, moving the image to a separate layer, etc. I am stumped. Google has only suggested what I have already tried.

Anyone have any idea as to what else it may possibly be?
    Joe Mallette
    Element 13

Have you tried printing to postscript or PRN file and distilling it?? Restarting/ trash prefs. etc.
    Last edited by emucru; 01-21-2008, 01:34 PM.

Comment

You might want to upgrade to Indesign 5.0.1 if you have not already done so. The 5.0.0 version, which is the one on the DVD, there are several known bugs when it comes to exporting PDFs. I have experienced several errors also after exporting to PDF, or at least the guy down at the printing office did.

I am afraid I have no other great solutions to pull out of the hat.

Good luck!

Comment

When I was on PC I would run into the same issue with Illy. It WAS a RAM issue, even though I had plenty. I had to reboot, then close all software so that only Illy was open, THEN it would work.
        "You're just jealous because YOUR hat doesn't have a clock in it!"

Comment

Originally posted by Element_13
          ...recreating the .tif from the original PSD file,...
          What happens if you place the PSD file directly into Indy instead of saving out as a .tif? That's the only other thing I can think of for you to try.
          This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
          "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Well. I was finally able to print the file in low res. I did have to reboot to get it to work. For some reason, it will only allow me to print it once when I reboot and then I need to reboot to print it again. So strange. As for the other suggestions, I am running 5.0.1 and importing the psd file instead of the tif does not work. I did not try to print to PS or PRN but I did notice that it would print to PDF but not export to pdf as per the settings mentioned before. In the end, I am still baffled but I am considering it to be some sort of RAM issue. Who knows. Thanks for the help.
            Joe Mallette
            Element 13

Comment

You might try:

temporarily disconnecting the link to the high rez graphics (rename the folder, or something similar). Ignore the lost links, don't embed, and recreate the PDF using ID's self-generated previews (ignore the warnings about missing links). This will be a LOT easier to digest for the exporter, especially if it's just low-rez proofing.

Comment

It sounds like its memory related as a reboot would clear it out. Do you have everything on one drive? Or partition? Or separate hard disks?

Comment

Everything is on one drive that is partitioned. It is a 300 Gb drive partitioned into 2 disks at 80 Gb for the OS and 220 Gb for storage. There is about 40 Gb free on the OS partition and 200 Gb on the Storage part. I am starting to have issues with printing the hi res print versions now. It figures as today is a Monday that everything would go wrong on one file. Hopefully it is not the machine as it is less than 6 months old.
                  Joe Mallette
                  Element 13

Comment

This happens from time to time when I place a client supplied pdf (logo or image) into an Indy file.

Usually when I save that file as something else or make a new document it works ok. Seems like you have tried those already though.
                    It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" – Winnie the Pooh

Comment

"I am starting to have issues with printing the hi res print versions now"
                      - is it giving you an error or just quitting?
                      - are you printing from the ID doc. or from a PDF?
                      - are you sick of this Monday??

Comment

It's Tuesday here
                        It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" – Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Yes I am also in the future. So to balance things out, I shall go back to bed once again.

Comment

I hate Mondays emucru.

To put it bluntly, I had to reboot my machine after every print in order to get these 4 banners printed to PDF in hi and low res versions. I have no idea why. The problem I was having on the high res versions was an "Out of Memory" error. This is extrememly odd as I have 4 Gb of RAM in this machine. I did talk to a IT friend of mine and he suggests that it may have something to do with the amount of RAM running in a 32 Bit environment. Personally, that doesn't make sense to me but who knows. I have tried almost everything else with the exception of resetting my prefs due to the fact that it does work on reboot. To be honest though, I have witnessed some strange happenings in PDF printing, but nothing this strange. I am taking the pieces home tonight to try from my home pc to try to rule out the machine as an issue. I will be sure to keep everyone posted if I find something new.

PS. This one little issue has opened my eyes to lots of possible solutions to similar problems though. I guess that is the only good thing to come of 5 hours of trying to fix this issue.
                            Joe Mallette
                            Element 13

Comment

You could always buy a Mac...

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• iwebsitez
                                Reply to Tours Travel company logo, what do you think?
                                iwebsitez
                                I quite like it to be honest, it's not too stuffed but it's clean, easy to remember! Well done Dan.
                                Today, 11:18 AM
                              • Craig B
                                Reply to Help me explaining my job in my portfolio!
                                Craig B
                                I think what you described is fairly typical of most jobs. I'm not saying it's identical but I do web design, email design, interactive apps, collateral, booth graphics, signage, posters, advertising,...
                                Today, 10:46 AM
                              • Colton819
                                Reply to Getting a image ready for print
                                Colton819
                                So I tried doing Pantone colors but obviously they just couldn’t match close enough. The image I posted is actually a vector format I created a raster format then converted to vector in illustrator. I...
                                Today, 08:47 AM
                              • leaagg
                                Help me explaining my job in my portfolio!
                                leaagg
                                Hello,

I am a French designer working for a Turkish company (in turkey).
                                I am now currently working on my updated portfolio because my main goal is QUIT !! The working conditions in...
                                Today, 07:57 AM
                              • PrintDriver
                                Reply to Tours Travel company logo, what do you think?
                                PrintDriver
                                Do people still use QR codes?
                                Two phones ago I downloaded an app just to check that a client's QR code was linking properly when printed. 4 years later now, and that app has never been used again....
                                Today, 07:06 AM
                              GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright © 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                              Working...
                              X