X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illustrator - How to round corners of image lines

Hey guys, new member here.. just signed up a few minutes back infact.

I have a quick question for any Illustrator gurus here;

Let's say I have 4 special image lines merged into a solid rectangle, and I want to round out the corners to make it look like a rounded rectangle, how would I go about doing this?

If I need to manip in Photoshop first, please let me know... any help is appreciated

Thanks

Draw a rectangle around your picture. Select the rectangle, go to Effect > Stylize > Round Corner. Select the corner radius you want. Place rectangle on top of your image, scale to edges of image. Select both your rectangle and image, then go to Object > Clipping Mask > Make. Trash your 4 single lines....

BLAMO!
    Professional Pixel Pusher Designing the world around you. | Working daily to reach 10,000 hours of practice.

Comment

You could also use the rounded rectangle tool (double click it to adjust corners), and then do the clipping mask over the image.
      "You're just jealous because YOUR hat doesn't have a clock in it!"

Comment

Originally posted by Danger_Mouse
        You could also use the rounded rectangle tool (double click it to adjust corners), and then do the clipping mask over the image.
        that's the way i would do it too

"There's something about turning the pages of a book or magazine and the felling of rubbing your hands across the words."

This is my pen tool. There are many like it, but this one is MINE. My pen tool is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My pen tool without me is useless. Without my pen tool, I am useless.

there is no grey area when it comes to 1 color logos.

Comment

The effect is usually a much better option.

1) If you later need to scale your rectangle to a different aspect ratio, bad things happen to your rounded corners if you used the rounded rectangle tool. It's fine if you use the effects tool.

2) If you later want to change your corner radius, you can with the effect. With the rounded rectangle tool, you're stuck with what you originally created.

More editable == more good

Comment

http://www.blog.spoongraphics.co.uk/...nded-rectangle

Professional Pixel Pusher Designing the world around you. | Working daily to reach 10,000 hours of practice.

Comment

Originally posted by hewligan
              The effect is usually a much better option.

1) If you later need to scale your rectangle to a different aspect ratio, bad things happen to your rounded corners if you used the rounded rectangle tool. It's fine if you use the effects tool.

2) If you later want to change your corner radius, you can with the effect. With the rounded rectangle tool, you're stuck with what you originally created.

More editable == more good
              Good points, I totally didn't consider the distorting factor...Agreed more editable is more good.
              "You're just jealous because YOUR hat doesn't have a clock in it!"

Comment

Less clicks = guuud

Comment

Yeah, I know that, but as Optimus said, "Less clicks = guuud." And, while that's a perfectly straightforward option when you only have one object on your page, even with the best of layer organisation, it can become... interesting... when you have a few hundred.

Comment

oh sweet! that was always a pain in the ass

"There's something about turning the pages of a book or magazine and the felling of rubbing your hands across the words."

This is my pen tool. There are many like it, but this one is MINE. My pen tool is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My pen tool without me is useless. Without my pen tool, I am useless.

there is no grey area when it comes to 1 color logos.

Comment

Tis true. but having options is always nice. Just like in Photoshop there is more than 1 way to skin a cat. As always, only you can analyze your situation and not the best path to take for achieving your goal.

Comment

So i have been using the rectangle with the round corners effect applied to it for a long time now. For some reason i have a new file and now i have rectangles, which i apply the rounded corners to, and for whatever reason the round corners are not showing up. it still looks like a regular rectangle, even though the appearance panel says it has rounded rectangles. I have tried all kinds of different radii. Can anyone think what might be the problem?

Comment

Originally posted by pepsiqueen View Post
                          So i have been using the rectangle with the round corners effect applied to it for a long time now. For some reason i have a new file and now i have rectangles, which i apply the rounded corners to, and for whatever reason the round corners are not showing up. it still looks like a regular rectangle, even though the appearance panel says it has rounded rectangles. I have tried all kinds of different radii. Can anyone think what might be the problem?
                          CORRECTION
                          the rectangles have rounded corners, but when i use them as a clipping mask AI clips to the full rectangle instead of just the extents of the rounded rectangle. driving me crazy, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by pepsiqueen View Post
                            CORRECTION
                            the rectangles have rounded corners, but when i use them as a clipping mask AI clips to the full rectangle instead of just the extents of the rounded rectangle. driving me crazy, of course.
                            Yeah, unfortunately you do have to expand the effect to be able to us it as a clipping mask.

Comment

You can actually apply the rounded corners effect to a clipping mask as well (as an effect, and leave it that way until it's final).

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X