Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Illustrator - How to round corners of image lines

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Illustrator - How to round corners of image lines

    Hey guys, new member here.. just signed up a few minutes back infact.

    I have a quick question for any Illustrator gurus here;

    Let's say I have 4 special image lines merged into a solid rectangle, and I want to round out the corners to make it look like a rounded rectangle, how would I go about doing this?

    If I need to manip in Photoshop first, please let me know... any help is appreciated

    Thanks

  • #2
    Draw a rectangle around your picture. Select the rectangle, go to Effect > Stylize > Round Corner. Select the corner radius you want. Place rectangle on top of your image, scale to edges of image. Select both your rectangle and image, then go to Object > Clipping Mask > Make. Trash your 4 single lines....

    BLAMO!
    Professional Pixel Pusher Designing the world around you. | Working daily to reach 10,000 hours of practice.

    Comment


    • #3
      You could also use the rounded rectangle tool (double click it to adjust corners), and then do the clipping mask over the image.
      "You're just jealous because YOUR hat doesn't have a clock in it!"

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Danger_Mouse
        You could also use the rounded rectangle tool (double click it to adjust corners), and then do the clipping mask over the image.
        that's the way i would do it too

        "There's something about turning the pages of a book or magazine and the felling of rubbing your hands across the words."

        This is my pen tool. There are many like it, but this one is MINE. My pen tool is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My pen tool without me is useless. Without my pen tool, I am useless.

        there is no grey area when it comes to 1 color logos.

        Comment


        • #5
          The effect is usually a much better option.

          1) If you later need to scale your rectangle to a different aspect ratio, bad things happen to your rounded corners if you used the rounded rectangle tool. It's fine if you use the effects tool.

          2) If you later want to change your corner radius, you can with the effect. With the rounded rectangle tool, you're stuck with what you originally created.

          More editable == more good

          Comment


          • #6
            http://www.blog.spoongraphics.co.uk/...nded-rectangle

            Professional Pixel Pusher Designing the world around you. | Working daily to reach 10,000 hours of practice.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by hewligan
              The effect is usually a much better option.

              1) If you later need to scale your rectangle to a different aspect ratio, bad things happen to your rounded corners if you used the rounded rectangle tool. It's fine if you use the effects tool.

              2) If you later want to change your corner radius, you can with the effect. With the rounded rectangle tool, you're stuck with what you originally created.

              More editable == more good
              Good points, I totally didn't consider the distorting factor...Agreed more editable is more good.
              "You're just jealous because YOUR hat doesn't have a clock in it!"

              Comment


              • #8
                Less clicks = guuud

                Comment


                • #9
                  Yeah, I know that, but as Optimus said, "Less clicks = guuud." And, while that's a perfectly straightforward option when you only have one object on your page, even with the best of layer organisation, it can become... interesting... when you have a few hundred.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    oh sweet! that was always a pain in the ass

                    "There's something about turning the pages of a book or magazine and the felling of rubbing your hands across the words."

                    This is my pen tool. There are many like it, but this one is MINE. My pen tool is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My pen tool without me is useless. Without my pen tool, I am useless.

                    there is no grey area when it comes to 1 color logos.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Tis true. but having options is always nice. Just like in Photoshop there is more than 1 way to skin a cat. As always, only you can analyze your situation and not the best path to take for achieving your goal.
                      Professional Pixel Pusher Designing the world around you. | Working daily to reach 10,000 hours of practice.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        So i have been using the rectangle with the round corners effect applied to it for a long time now. For some reason i have a new file and now i have rectangles, which i apply the rounded corners to, and for whatever reason the round corners are not showing up. it still looks like a regular rectangle, even though the appearance panel says it has rounded rectangles. I have tried all kinds of different radii. Can anyone think what might be the problem?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by pepsiqueen View Post
                          So i have been using the rectangle with the round corners effect applied to it for a long time now. For some reason i have a new file and now i have rectangles, which i apply the rounded corners to, and for whatever reason the round corners are not showing up. it still looks like a regular rectangle, even though the appearance panel says it has rounded rectangles. I have tried all kinds of different radii. Can anyone think what might be the problem?
                          CORRECTION
                          the rectangles have rounded corners, but when i use them as a clipping mask AI clips to the full rectangle instead of just the extents of the rounded rectangle. driving me crazy, of course.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by pepsiqueen View Post
                            CORRECTION
                            the rectangles have rounded corners, but when i use them as a clipping mask AI clips to the full rectangle instead of just the extents of the rounded rectangle. driving me crazy, of course.
                            Yeah, unfortunately you do have to expand the effect to be able to us it as a clipping mask.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              You can actually apply the rounded corners effect to a clipping mask as well (as an effect, and leave it that way until it's final).

                              Comment

                              Search

                              Collapse

                              Advertisement

                              Collapse

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              • Protagonist
                                Reply to Logo Animation Help
                                Protagonist
                                designzombie eerrr wrong. You can do this quickly two ways. You can use an effect called "paint on" and literally paint a brush stroke over the script (say 5 frames per stroke). From there you...
                                Today, 01:42 AM
                              • Protagonist
                                Reply to First stabs at a personal logo
                                Protagonist
                                Not bad, I would prefer your counters be in the shape of the original font and not perfect circles.
                                Today, 01:24 AM
                              • Protagonist
                                Reply to Website Critique?
                                Protagonist
                                The design isn't bad in my opinion although there is still a lot that you need to do in terms of coding and backend - all of which I know nothing about. But as far as design it's not bad. The background...
                                Yesterday, 11:32 PM
                              • Protagonist
                                Reply to Motion Graphics Dissertation Advice
                                Protagonist
                                There isn't much out there because the industry is so new (digital, celluloid has been around for about 100 years). I'm a Motionographer and the industry is really a cross between Filmmakers, Graphic...
                                Yesterday, 11:28 PM
                              • Northeast Ink
                                Comment on Show customer Pantones used in design
                                Northeast Ink
                                OK I've concluded that the best way to do it is how I'm doing it already. Manually entering in. I have PDF software that I thought might be able to generate it and seeing that there are some Scripts...
                                Yesterday, 10:16 PM

                              20% Off Sale at iStock until Sept 30, 2016
                              GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                              Working...
                              X